Help - Dad Fed Maddie A Piece Of His Nurtri- System Cake

Hi All-

I usually don't post here but I need some help. I am on vacation with my parents and my Dad fed Maddie a piece of his Nutri-System cake. The whole cake itself is 1.7 oz., the piece he gave her was about an inch long. My question is do I give her hydrogen peroxide to make her pass it? Any help I appreciate greatly.

Amy

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

No. Peroxide would make her vomit it, not pass it. And there's no reason to make her vomit. I mean, I can't imagine the cake is toxic or anything. She'll be fine. (Even if there's chocolate, she'll be fine.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

dogs eat all sorts of wierd things. is she trying to balance her gylcelmic index???? i don't think there are enough chemicals in it to do any harm. you can read the ingredients, go on line and check to see if any are toxic. then if something is, how much do they need to ingest for it to really be toxic and look at your dog. if she is not swollen, in distress, salvating then i personally wouldn't worry. just ask your dad not to feed the dog.

Thanks everyone, I knew I could count on you. I did not think it going to be a problem but I am in panic mode as we on Nantucket Island and there is no evet just a local vet. I have told him over and over NOT to feed her anything unless I approve it. And he did not listen to me. I am furious with Dad right not. (and when I said pass to make her pass it, I mean for her to puke it up)

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

I would read the ingredient list. If the cake has xylitol in it (since it's a diet food, it may) then that is cause for concern. If there are no artificial sweeteners, I wouldn't worry too much.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

The cake probably has artificial sweeteners - you need to get the ingredient list and if there are "strange sugars" then you are likely going to need to get in touch with a poison call center. You can try your vet but, they are likely not going to know and will refer you to the "poison line".

edited to add -- I noticed that you are on Nantucket - you can try calling Angel Animal Hospital in Boston - it has a great ER and they can provide you the poison call center #.

Edited by MaryJane

Amy, I agree with GreytNut re: reading the cake ingredient list for Xylitol. Xylitol is used in many food, vitamin, drug, chewing gum products and can be highly toxic to dogs in certain amounts.

Usually very soft things (like cake) are okay to induce vomiting, but best to "call" an e-vet (even from afar), or poison hot-line if in question. (Poison hot-line charges a fee.)

Please read full source link below (includes poison hot-line #):

"HOW MUCH XYLITOL IS DANGEROUS?

The hypoglycemic dose of xylitol for dogs is considered to be approximately 0.1 grams per kilogram of body weight (about 0.45 gram per pound). A typical stick of gum contains 0.3 to 0.4 grams of xylitol which means that a 10 lb dog could be poisoned by as little as a stick and a half of gum.

The dose to cause hepatic necrosis is 1 gram per kilogram of body weight, about ten times more than the above dose. In the example above, the 10 lb dog would have to find an unopened package of gum and eat it for liver destruction to occur.

TREATMENT

Ideally, the patient can be seen quickly (within 30 minutes) and can be made to vomit the gum or candy. Beyond this, a sugar IV drip is prudent for a good 24 hours. Liver enzyme and blood clotting tests are monitored for 2-3 days. Blood levels of potassium are ideally monitored as well. Elevated blood phosphorus levels often bode poorly."

Full Source Link: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/xylitol_toxicity.html

Edited by 3greytjoys

Amy here's a quick list of their cake ingredients.

chocolate cake:

WATER, SUGAR, WHEAT PROTEIN ISOLATE (WHEAT GLUTEN, PHOSPHATE, LACTIC ACID, SULFITE), (CHICORY) INULIN, EGG, GLYCEROL, WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, ENRICHED BLEACHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, REDUCED IRON, NIACIN, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), SOYBEAN OIL, COCOA PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, CORN FIBER, MALTITOL, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: NONFAT DRY MILK, LEAVENING (SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, SODIUM BICARBONATE, CORN STARCH, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), SODIUM CARBOXYMETHYLCELLULOSE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL MONO- AND DIESTERS OF FATS AND FATTY ACIDS, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, SOY LECITHIN WITH BHT AND CITRIC ACID TO HELP PROTECT FLAVOR, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, VANILLA EXTRACT (WATER, ALCOHOL, SUGAR, VANILLA BEANS), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL CHOCOLATE EXTRACT (ALCOHOL, WATER, COCOA BEAN EXTRACTIVES, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, RED #40, YELLOW #5, BLUE #1), NATURAL BUTTER FLAVOR (MALTODEXTRIN, NATURAL BUTTER FLAVOR, ANNATTO AND TURMERIC [FOR COLOR], "CONTAINS MILK"), SUCRALOSE, SUNFLOWER LECITHIN, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE (VITAMIN E), SALT, POTASSIUM SORBATE (PRESERVATIVE). CONTAINS MILK, EGG, WHEAT AND SOY.

carrot cake:

WATER, SUGAR, INULIN, WHEAT GLUTEN, WHITE WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, ENRICHED BLEACHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, REDUCED IRON, NIACIN, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), EGG, GLYCEROL, CARROTS, PALM OIL, MALTITOL, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: CRUSHED PINEAPPLE, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM KERNEL AND PALM OILS, NONFAT DRY MILK, LEAVENING (SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, SODIUM BICARBONATE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), CORN FIBER, SUNFLOWER LECITHIN, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, SPICE, CORN SYRUP, SODIUM CARBOXYMETHYLCELLULOSE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL MONO AND DIESTERS OF FATS AND FATTY ACIDS, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SOY LECITHIN, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, SUNFLOWER OIL, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, PHOSPHATE, LACTIC ACID, SULFITE, SUCRALOSE, ARTIFICIAL COLOR (TITANIUM DIOXIDE), SALT, POTASSIUM SORBATE (PRESERVATIVE), HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, WHEAT STARCH. CONTAINS EGG, MILK, SOY AND WHEAT.

golden pound cake:

WATER, SUGAR, WHEAT PROTEIN ISOLATE (WHEAT GLUTEN, PHOSPHATE, LACTIC ACID, SULFITE), WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, ENRICHED BLEACHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, REDUCED IRON, NIACIN, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), EGG, (CHICORY) INULIN, SOYBEAN OIL, GLYCEROL, CORN FIBER, MALTITOL, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: NONFAT DRY MILK, LEAVENING (SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, SODIUM BICARBONATE, CORN STARCH, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), SODIUM CARBOXYMETHYLCELLULOSE, SUNFLOWER LECITHIN, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE (VITAMIN E), PROPYLENE GLYCOL MONO- AND DIESTERS OF FATS AND FATTY ACIDS, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, SOY LECITHIN WITH BHT AND CITRIC ACID TO HELP PROTECT FLAVOR, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, VANILLA EXTRACT (WATER, ALCOHOL, SUGAR, VANILLA BEANS), NATURAL BUTTER FLAVOR (MALTODEXTRIN, NATURAL BUTTER FLAVOR, ANNATTO AND TURMERIC (FOR COLOR), "CONTAINS MILK"), SUCRALOSE, SALT, POTASSIUM SORBATE (PRESERVATIVE). CONTAINS MILK, EGG, WHEAT AND SOY.

classic carrot cake:

WATER, SUGAR, INULIN, WHITE WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, ENRICHED BLEACHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, REDUCED IRON, NIACIN, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), WHEAT GLUTEN, GLYCEROL, EGG, CARROTS, PALM OIL, CORN FIBER, CRUSHED PINEAPPLE (PINEAPPLE IN UNSWEETENED PINEAPPLE JUICE, ASCORBIC ACID), CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: CREAM CHEESE (PASTEURIZED MILK AND CREAM, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, CAROB BEAN GUMS), CORN STARCH, FOOD STARCH-MODIFIED, MALTODEXTRIN, POLYSORBATE 60, SOYBEAN OIL, MILKFAT, CORN OIL, THIAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE, ALPHA TOCOPHEROLS, BETA CAROTENE, CARAMEL COLOR, AGAR, TITANIUM DIOXIDE (COLOR), PROPYLENE GLYCOL, LOCUST BEAN GUM, DEXTROSE, NONFAT DRY MILK, LEAVENING (SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, SODIUM BICARBONATE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), SPICE, CORN SYRUP, SODIUM CARBOXYMETHYLCELLULOSE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL MONO- AND DIESTERS OF FATS AND FATTY ACIDS, SUNFLOWER OIL, SUCRALOSE, SUNFLOWER LECITHIN, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, PHOSPHATE, LACTIC ACID, SULFITE, HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, WHEAT STARCH, SOY LECITHIN, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES WITH BHT AND CITRIC ACID AS PRESERVATIVES, POTASSIUM SORBATE (PRESERVATIVE), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, SALT. CONTAINS EGG, MILK, SOY AND WHEAT.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

If it calms you at all, my first girl, Scarlett was addicted to the NutriSystem lemon wafers. Whenever I would open that bag, she would be right there looking for one. She lived to 19.5. I am not saying that Maddie should eat it often, but a small bite is unlikely to do damage.