Thunder's Seizures- Update Post 1

Passion started whining and woke me up. I couldn't get her to stop so I was half awake when Thunder (the foster) had a seizure. He was laying on my feet and kicking really bad. I sat up and he was very stiff with his head thrown over the side of the bed. The other dogs were sleeping. I turned on the light and grabbed my cell to check the time. It was about 10:26pm. He was foaming at the mouth and kinda snorting. I already had a belly band on him so tried to push a blanket under him incase he peed. Hammie woke up and jumped over him and barked at him. I got Hammie (the foster) off the bed and the other dogs stayed away. Thunder stopped jerking for about a second and started again. The entire seizure lasted about 2-3 minutes. When he stopped jerked, I decided to run to the kitchen and get ice cream. I was worried about leaving him on the bed but he wasn't thrashing so I thought he would be ok and not fall off the bed. When Passion had her seizure, she was flapping around on the floor like a fish out of water. Thunders was not that bad.

When I got back upstairs with icecream, he was standing next to the bed but was unsteady. I put a spoonful of icecream in his mouth. He wasn't steady so I carried him downstairs and noticed he'd peed in the belly band (I put one on him before bed because we are sleeping in my new room and the boys might try to mark). I got all the dogs downstairs and outside. Thunder paced and wanted back inside. I closed him off in the spare bedroom, ran upstairs with a towel and tried to clean up the pee on my bed.

I have to check the date but Thunder had a seizure at the track so they retired him. He will be 3 in December. One day a few weeks ago when I got home from work, he had been in the crate. He's never peed in the house, not even marked. I suspected he'd had a seizure.

That's 3 seizures in about a month that I know of :(

His bloodwork all came back normal for his neuter. I'll let my group know and see about doing a T4 and Tick panel.

I was calm and kinda knew what to do. I've talked to Judy about seizures (after Passion had her seizure) and Thunders was not a bad as Passions.

Right now he's laying in my bed and has finally stopped panting.

update 8/10-------------

The vet said he's healthy and normal so the dx is idiopathic epilepsy. She said I can either give him phenobarb or zonisamide. The zoni has less side affects although more expensive but no bloodwork needed like with the phenobarb. I decided to go with the zoni and just now gave him the first dose. He pills great :yay

Everyone loved him at the clinic and said he was a good boy.

Edited to add- I took everyones advice and took him to a neuro vet. She did not know greyhounds at all. I asked for a thyroid test and tick panel. She wouldn't do either. She did agree to do a snap TBD test but that only checks 3 TBD so she said she would give me a script for doxi.

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Time to go to the vet and get him started on meds. That many seizures in a month and the duration of the seizure would warrant medication I think. Sorry you're dealing with two seizure dogs at once Kari. Hopefully you can get him started on some medication soon.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I also suggest that you get to the vet but, I go one step further and suggest that you have a neurologist prescribe the medicine. Most vets know the basics about seizures and the older medicines use to treat them -- I find that neurologists have much information about the new medicines that are showing so much promise. The neurologist can also spend time with you and describe how to treat seizures at home (when necessary with rectal Valium) so that you don't end up in the ER unless it is a true emergency. The only problem with seeing a neurologist is that some want to have an MRI and spinal tap before seeing the client but, you can find one that doesn't.

For example, I asked my regular vet to prescribe rectal valium until I got to see the neurologist but, it ended up that she gave me the wrong dosage.

The ice cream is something that I give my Lucy after her seizures - I don't give too much, just a spoon or two and it seems to make a difference in her post seizure activity.

2 weeks ago, I moved my bedroom to the attic. I had to keep safety in mind so I have the top of the stairs baby gated shut and beds all over the floor surrounding my bed. The dogs wear muzzles at night because of Passion's seizures and now because of Thunder. The fur kids were all so good last night. Other than Hammie who jumped up on the bed and barked at him, the others just laid on their dog beds and watched me.

Judy- I emailed my group. He's only had 1 seizure that I've seen so not sure if they will want to wait until he has another one. I'm 99% sure he had one when I was at work.

He's such a good boy. I love him - he'd stay but the inn is full. He and Lucky have the same dad and are so similar- they make me smile.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

He just had another seizure- lasted about a minute. He didn't pee this time.

I text my vet (he's not with the group I'm fostering with) to see where I should take him. I need a referral so will call the vet that did he neuter.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Vet opens at 8am. I've already left a message that I need a referral. Talked to someone at the neurology clinic to get the process. They will call me for an appt when they get the referral.

Already text my group-got the go ahead to make the appt.

I need to get more icecream for him.

Now I'm scared for him.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I dont have any advice, but i wanted to send support and hugs. Passion was so good to wake you up, and I agree that your calmess definitely helped. I know I wouldnt be that calm and focused... I will be checking for updates and hope Thunder can pull through and get on medicine ASAP to help. (((hugs)))

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

You probably want to see if you can get some rectal valium to tide you over until you get to see a neurologist. Since he's had two in less than 24 hours it is starting to look serious and you might need to get him on any medicine just to stop them if he continues to have seizures.

Did you use a different cleaner in the house? Any house work being done - adding rooms, insulation, anything like that? Anyone put down lawn stuff in the area? Is there anything toxic that he could have gotten into - maybe something in the garage? Did he just get a heartworm, flea treatment, or was he stressed about something?

Good Luck

No, nothing has changed.

He had a seizure at the track which is why he was retired so early.

He's only a baby, 2 :(

Still waiting for the vet to call me back.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest bernadette

I am so sorry to hear about this. Seizures in my animals are not something I have had to deal with, although my daughter has petit mal epilepsy (non convulsive seizures, more like day dreams). Can I ask why the ice cream?

Best of luck to you, I have my fingers crossed for good news soon.

The ice cream helps bring their blood sugar back up.

Thank you Judy for that tip :)

The vet finally called me back and is calling in the referral. They did say they can perscribe the drugs to me but I'm taking the advice here and taking him to see a neuro vet.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I am so sorry to hear about this. Seizures in my animals are not something I have had to deal with, although my daughter has petit mal epilepsy (non convulsive seizures, more like day dreams). Can I ask why the ice cream?

Best of luck to you, I have my fingers crossed for good news soon.

Ice cream is controversial - there are pros and cons. When a dog has a GM, there is additional brain activity that depletes the sugar store and the body is "told to make more" from the reserves. There is a chance, very slight one, that the body may not produce enough or maybe too much and if there is not enough sugar, there is a chance of another seizure. Giving about 1 to 2 tablespoons of ice cream to a normal size greyhound shouldn't give "too much sugar" to cause a problem but should be enough to keep any additional problems at bay. Also, the ice cream is cold, when a dog has a seizure they heat up and the cold seems to be refreshing to them.

Since I started giving it to my Lucy her post-seizure symptoms have all but disappeared - a few times she was acting like a zombie afterwards and she would forget to pee.

If you can't get him in right away Kari, I'd get him on something. He is at a much greater risk now of having clusters and then he could end up staying at the vet's. I'd also get some rectal valium for him so you can stop him from clustering should he do so. He's had two seizures in less than 24 hours and I wouldn't take that lightly.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Oh Kari...so sorry for you and Thunder!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

FINALLY got the call from the neuro vet. Appt is at 1pm today.

I'm not going to work today or this weekend but I do have a dr appt myself for my migraines that I can't miss (at 2:45pm). Made that appt 6 weeks ago. Hopefully I will still get to my appt but Thunder's is more important right now.

Thanks for all the good thoughts.

I was in a panic waiting for the vet to call but now I can calm down. Or at least try to :lol

Edited by Wonder

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

go to www.canine-epilepsy.com for the correct information regarding epilepsy. Unfortunately once they start having more than one a month OR more than one at a time OR if one lasts more than 5 minutes then its time for medication. Having had a beloved dog with epilepsy I found out a lot about it and the website above is the best to save your dog (it doesn't sell anything). brit

oh no, Kari! :( :( :(

THIS SUCKS.!!!!!

I'm glad you are getting him in and with him being so young, it's most likely "regular" epilepsy and has a better chance of being controlled (as opposed to Rainey, who was 10 -- when it starts that late it's 99% a bad, bad brain issue with not much hope of curing :().

and her neurologist said that if you THINK they had a seizure while you weren't home, most likely they did -- he said your gut just knows.

hoping for a good visit and he can get on the right meds right away. I know how much they SUCK.

sending all of you many, many hugs and prayers! :hope :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway