Chevy Has A Broken Toe

Guest Adrianne

Guest Adrianne

If you can spare some good thoughts for my sweet boy....

He injured his toe last night, and I'm pretty sure it's broken (although not positive.) Outside toe on his right front paw. He's not putting any weight on the foot and hopping around three legged. We have an appointment with the vet at 10:15.

I searched and read lots of topics on broken and dislocated toes last night; lots of good info.

ETA: It took a while to even figure out it was his toe--it wasn't obviously swollen, he didn't cry out, and no GSOD. He just came in the room holding up the paw. It's a little swollen this morning, and he's whimpering a little bit.

Edited by Adrianne

Guest Adrianne

Well, it's not a break, and it's not a dislocation. Maybe a sting? Or a sprain? He got an anti-inflammatory shot, and I came home with some pain meds.

Of course, as soon as we got to the vet's office, Chevy got out of the car and put weight on the foot all the way in to the office. He limped, but at least he was putting weight on it.

Glad to hear it's not a break. Beanie did that to me recently too. After watching her limp and hold up her front leg several days I made an appointment with our vet. Wouldn't you know as soon as she walked into the examination room the limp was gone and the paw never came up once.

I would watch the toe in the event it was a bite to make sure there isn't a reaction to the bite.

Guest KennelMom

They can dislocate it and have it pop right back in place. Primo does it all the time...sometimes the only evidence is some swelling.

My boy, Elliott, started limping like that and we thought it might be a twisted nail - had him to the vet twice with two sets of x-rays and they couldn't find anything. He was on pain meds, anti inflamatory meds and antibiotics for about 6 weeks and nothing helped. We had a second opinion and even that vet found nothing and agreed with treating it conservatively ... a few weeks later the corn popped up and was quite visible and hard to the touch - no hint of it prior to that.

I hope it is as simple as that with your houndie. Best of luck and good wishes going out to you!

Tess

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

Guest Adrianne

Thanks everyone. He's resting pretty comfortably. He's putting some weight on the foot now, although it's obviously tender to him.

It's times like these I wish they could talk.

Glad to hear it's not a break. Beanie did that to me recently too. After watching her limp and hold up her front leg several days I made an appointment with our vet. Wouldn't you know as soon as she walked into the examination room the limp was gone and the paw never came up once.

I would watch the toe in the event it was a bite to make sure there isn't a reaction to the bite.

Coincidentally (or not) it is the same foot on which he had a corn. Not the same toe though. However, when he had his corn, he would limp around but not hold the paw up.

Aquitaine sends lots of puppy love to her half-bro. Hope he feels all better soon.

Awwwww.....thank you Aquitaine. I hope she's doing better too.

Hope he feels better soon

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

poor baby :( sending hugs to your Chevy! :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest Adrianne

Chevy is much better this morning and barely limping, so I'm going to assume it was a sting of some sort. Thank goodness, because this boy lives for his walks, and there was no way he could have walked hobbling around like he was.

Guest Adrianne

Chevy needs some extra treats to help him recover from all that trauma.

Chevy heartily agrees with this statement. :lol

I am amazed--he's just about fully recovered. I was positive the toe was broken; whatever stung him did a real number on his toe. It must have been super painful.