Won't Eat

Guest jenmm

Guest jenmm

Ross is 11. This weekend, he will not eat. He has lost 4.5 lbs. I took him to the vet today and the vet started him on antibiotics for infection cause his fever is 104. Ross is drinking water and peeing. He isn't vomiting, diarhhea, he won't eat period. I offered him boiled chicken and rice, hamburger, yogurt, sardines, dry dog food. Nada.

Please, I need suggestions.

Scrambled eggs, hot dogs and ensure......a few other ideas to try....

Best wishes that he finds his appetite...

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Good thoughts and best wishes....

Peanut butter?

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Try some Ensure, scrambled eggs, cottage cheese. Given the things that he;s turned down, he may just not feel like eating. He may feel more like eating once the fever breaks.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest FawnFan

Here are some of the items I've bribed my non-eating hounds with in the past... mini c-o-c-k-tail meatballs; spray cheese; boiled ham deli meat; turkey deli meat; cream cheese; canned tuna fish in water compressed tightly into a meatball; duck wrapped sweet potato treats; liverwurst; peanut butter; almond butter; salmon; cooked steak; chicken broth added to their water; scrambled eggs; hot dogs; canned dog food - the stinkier the better; marshmallows; parm cheese... I'm sure I'm forgetting something. It has been a while since I've had to do this.

Good luck and hope he starts eating again soon.

- Jean

P.S. You can check with your Vet yet I was once told sometimes they need their appetite kick started. My Vet suggested I take a small ball of canned dog food and force feed them. It did work once for me.

The fever from the infection has likely shut down Ross's appetite. You could offer him some warm chicken broth to hopefully perk up his appetite. Once he is interested again: sardines, shredded chicken, Texas Toast with butter and/or peanut butter.

edited to add: Tripe! The stinky kind in a can.

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Did they run any bloodwork? If it continues even on the ATBs, I would probably continue to look for a medical reason for the inappetance, like kidney issues. One thing that I did learn is that really stinky isn't always a good option if they aren't eating because they feel nauseous, something more bland may work better. We had good luck with Ensure, too.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Challah bread with a bit of butter.

One of my boys loved yogurt with cheerios - you could also try just cherrios or saltine crackers.

If he is drinking water then try making him some soup - chicken broth with carrots, celery, and noodles and blenderize it

Guest jenmm

Yippee! He finally ate some breakfast! Ok, so it was leftover mashed potatoes and pork, but I'll take it.

Will try some of the above suggestions to make him something a little later today.

I just posted on another thread about this same thing, we just went through something similar a few months ago. Milky Way slowly stopped eating and would only nibble on things he would usually scarf down. I tried everything including his favorite cheesecake when that didn't work we headed to the vets. Our vet couldn't find anything either and said her best guess was that maybe there was a small infection under his gums that we could not see so she prescribed antibiotics for us. Within 3 days Milky Way was back to eating. We finished out he dosage and havn't had a problem since.

Best of Luck and I hope his appetite stays

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc