Social had a tear in his leg that required 20 stitches. He's getting better but has to wear a "cone of shame" so he doesn't nip at his stitches. Would a muzzle work too?

DarbyampChad_zpsvpn9kam5.jpg

"Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant."
-Cathy, DW to Al, Mom to Darby & Chad. Nana to Gabe, Dominic, & Christopher Welter
Remembering Social (2001-2014) and Gus (2007-2015)

If the injury is below the hock, you can put a lady's trouser sock over it (man's sport socks work, too, but I find a lady's sock is a nicer fit), pull it up nicely, vet wrap just above the hock, flip the excess sock down over the vet wrap and voila, covered yet air can still get to it. If the sock needs to be removed (wet lawn, medication application, whatever), the vet wrap can be reused a few times.

I have never tried this on a foreleg, though.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Fast still got to his tail even with the cone of shame one. The vet gave us 3 diffrent one and he could get it. It finally got to the point we gave up on the cone of shame. And he just wore his muzzle with a poop guard for 2 weeks untill the stiches came out after his tail amputation for happy tail that would not heal. We ditake it off when he ate or would go for walks. But right back to being muzzled after eating or walks. Because he did rip the stiches 2 days after he had the surgey. he just would not leave them alone.

Edited by SarahsBlackPack

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

Muzzle with stool guard (inexpensive and easy to order online) or duct tape. Zero need for a greyhound ever to wear a cone IMHO.

I'm nearly with Beth on this one. If the injury is one the dog can rub with the muzzle, a cone might be better. Otherwise, I'll muzzle every time. (I have two dogs in this house. Three muzzles, two poop guards. And I can always make a poop guard out of duct tape when necessary. Meanwhile, I have one cone--stuck in the back of a closet, I think.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest LindsaySF

For legs, I try to cover them with a sock or bandage, then leave a regular kennel muzzle on (no stool guard) so they can't chew the bandage off. I don't like leaving muzzles with stool guards on unattended if I can avoid it (in case the dog vomits). If you can't wrap the injury, then I'd use a muzzle with stool guard.

The tear is on his upper thigh on his right rear leg. They didn't cover it. They want it open to the air so it'll heal faster. DH keeps antibiotic creme on it to keep it soft. We've decided to go with the cone when we can't supervise him. Eating, drinking, going out he goes without the cone. Otherwise it goes back on. He hates it but has to wear it.

-Cathy, DW to Al, Mom to Darby & Chad. Nana to Gabe, Dominic, & Christopher Welter

Sending get-well-soon wishes to poor Social. A picture of him wearing the COS would be helpful for purely educational purposes. :)

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Here's my boy.

The cone of shame.

ConeOfShame.jpg

This is his right rear leg. It was about 20 stitches. It looks a lot better than it did last Saturday.

HurtLeg.jpg