Chicken Feet And Turkey Necks

Chicken feet are most easily found around here in ethnic markets, turkey necks you can ask for at the butcher shop or meat dept. The permanent farmer's market in the Fairfax district here in LA has them in the case at a butcher shop. I get them by the case frozen at a meat wholesaler/retail to the public.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I have been able to get turkey necks at my regular grocery store, I noticed that they carried wings and legs and asked if they could could get necks too. I had to request them fairly often at first but now they have them fairly regularly. I get chicken feet at a local Mexican market, they have a wide array of "unusual" cuts and organ meats.

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014

The Hispanic grocery stores around here carry both plus things like beef hearts and parts I have never seen sold before. Also get the word out now to friends and family that if they are not going to use the turkey necks and parts that come with the turkey for Thanksgiving and the holidays that you would like them.

Now get ready to get a little grossed out the first time you hear them crunching and cracking bones, it's a little unnerving, but after a few turkey necks their teeth look noticeably cleaner. Oh, and when they poop after eating a raw neck you will see bits of white bone in their poop.

Guest BrianRke

Food Lion here sells Chicken Feet and Turkey Necks. Yesterday I was at a Farmer's Market and there was a lady selling chicken and other meats. I asked her if she had chicken feet and SHE DID! I couldnt believe it. She sold me a huge bag of feet for $2.00!!!! They came off the chickens at her farm. I was so excited(doesnt take much for me anymore) and I told her I would be back every week. I feel like I should give her at least a $5 next time.

BrianRke, what a score!!

Chicken feet have been impossible to find here for the last couple of years -- until this week! My favorite supermarket has started carrying them again, and yes, I was excited! The guy working the meat counter assured me they would be a regular item (otherwise I would have bought every package they had on the spot, though I have limited freezer space). They are Stella's favorites, and she had some for dinner last night -- happy girl. I also bought an entire beef liver and made oven-dried liver treats yesterday. Meat counter guy was pretty amused with me :)

Turkey necks have usually been easier to find, but I've started ordering them by the case at another local supermarket.

It's worth calling around, supermarkets, ethnic groceries and specialty butchers -- hope you find a good local source! (I was about to start ordering online from Hare Today which is pricy with shipping, but now I don't need to.)

Wow-score! I now officially have chicken feet envy! :bow

Food Lion here sells Chicken Feet and Turkey Necks. Yesterday I was at a Farmer's Market and there was a lady selling chicken and other meats. I asked her if she had chicken feet and SHE DID! I couldnt believe it. She sold me a huge bag of feet for $2.00!!!! They came off the chickens at her farm. I was so excited(doesnt take much for me anymore) and I told her I would be back every week. I feel like I should give her at least a $5 next time.

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Mexican markets are you friends, as well as Asian ones.

Here I can get Pilgrams Pride turkey necks and chicken backs and necks at Wal-Mart. Chicken backs and necks (packaged together) were good for us. Buck would have the backs and Poodle would have the necks which are too small for greys.

Had to go to the Mexican grocery to get chicken feet - which I only bought once as the little toenails and them flapping out of the dogs mouths like floppy cigars just grossed me out.

Just went to Fiesta - big Mexican chain on my corner...size of an Albertsons (which it once was).

They had -

Sweetbreads - $1.39 #

Fresh green tripe (not bleached and really sort of grey green) - $1.89 #

Beef tongue - $3.49 #

Beef heart - $1.39 #

Beef kidneys - $1.39 #

Pigs feet - $1.69 #

Pig stomach $1.69 #

Pig tails $1.69 #

Pig ears (fresh) $1.69 #

Calf hooves - $1.39 #

Chicken feet - $1.39 #

Chicken livers and gizzards - $1.69 #

Chicken backs and necks - $1.19 #

No turkey necks today

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Is one turkey neck considered a "meal"? What about chicken feet?

Should they be fed as a meal, or on top of regular food?

I think Kassie would Love these, I'm just not too sure how much/often to feed. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest greygirls2

My grocery store will order cases of chicken feet, turkey necks and beef hearts for us. Most can order these from their suppliers.

Guest mirinaaronsmom

I was wondering also how many chicken feet to feed. I found some at the local butcher and the first day I gave them each one. The next day I gave them one and a piece. Yesterday I gave them each two. So far no poop problems. Any suggestions from experienced chicken paw feeders?

Also, I let them thaw out. Can I refreeze some so they don't go bad? I'm a vegetarian so I have no experience with meat (I also wear gloves when I give them to the pups otherwise I'd be washing my hands continuously).