Car Restraint

Guest NancyS

Guest NancyS

New Jersey just passed a law requiring dogs to have a "car seat" or restraint. Anyone have something they could suggest for a greyhound. My grey usually lays down in the back seat but occasionally will stand - sitting is out of the question in the car. :beatheart

Guest DragonflyDM

Do you think NJ's law will allow for the zip line as a restraint to be good enough or do I have to find a new route to Maine this Summer?

I tether two of mine in the van. They wear a harness which is then has a short (2 1/2 foot) leash attached to a seatbelt. They can lay down, stand up, turn around without any problems but don't get tangled and cannot reach me while I am driving or jump out of the van when I open the door. My third just lays down and waits to be told she can get out of the van; she was an only for several years.

I tether two of mine in the van. They wear a harness which is then has a short (2 1/2 foot) leash attached to a seatbelt. They can lay down, stand up, turn around without any problems but don't get tangled and cannot reach me while I am driving or jump out of the van when I open the door.

Ditto. Worked in the Prius also. Will admit though that I prefer crates in the van & was using those more often than harnesses+tethers. Though not so much now that I frequently haul my recumbent trike. Need to re-outfit the van to fit both trike & crates.

yeah, i noticed the sign on the jersey turnpike- ALL OCCUPANTS IN CARS MUST WEAR SEAT BELTS......ha.... i think they are looking for dogs in the back of pickups and in driver's laps. the signage is NOT on all roads, so.. i guess if you get stopped it will be a warning. give me a break :rules

Thanks for the ideas and links. Livs likes to move around a little too much for my comfort level. I get very nervous about her being injured or thrown in an accident or if I have to brake too hard too quickly on the freeways here.

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)