He's Been With Us 6 Months - Lots Of Photos

Although I posted an introduction a few months ago, I felt it was time to share some of my boy Hester’s life with the good people here from whom I have learned much. While much of my experience will be familiar to or perhaps surpassed by many of you Greyhound veterans, I am amazed everyday by this remarkable creature and I consider it a privilege to just be in his presence. His impact is particularly striking to me as this is my first pet of any kind.

First a bit of info before the photos. Hester is huge, but he is also very narrow. The width of his shoulders and chest are as narrow as any other greyhound I have seen, including females as light as 55 or 60 pounds and yet he weighs around 90 pounds. That should give you an idea of his lankiness. He is around 30 inches tall at the shoulder, but what really stands out is his ridiculous length. I haven’t put a tape measure on him but his walk is much more of a slink like a Panther as opposed to the jaunty trot of a Greyhound. He runs like no other Greyhound I have seen. There is none of the lightning fast cadence but rather a bounding action with incredible elevation. When he passes by it is more like the thunder of galloping horse. I get shivers from the vibration that comes up through my feet.

His personality is best described as extremely dignified with occasional playfulness. He will accept affection and will reciprocate but only in the most respectful ways. After 6 months he is becoming more forward and confident in his interactions with us. While not quite a cuddler yet, we are teaching him that it is OK to snuggle a bit. His lips quiver when he looks at any member of the family and he chatters regularely. What is most notable is his bond with me. He simply will not leave my side. He prefers to have me hold his paw when he naps so that he doesn’t have to keep checking that I am there, and yet he is confident enough to allow me to leave him home alone for several hours without a fuss.

When I am out with him he is so focused on me as “pack leader” that he could legitimately be an off-leash dog (although I would never even consider it). I have done no training other than “Hester come!” and rarely speak to him. He seems to know what I want and responds to my body language. On the leash he has been like a champion show dog since his first walk in which occasional pulling needed light correction.

His manners in the house are perfect. He has never entered the kitchen since being given a gentle correction on his first day with us (I simply walked straight at him with my head and chest held very high). He has never put anything in his mouth other than food from his own bowl and that includes when he was left alone for three hours with a bag of food garbage - and it was rib night!

With other dogs he shows the way, cautious and gentle with older or smaller dogs and yet very firm with any misbehaviour. When off leash he is absolutely dominant of all others but never shows aggression. He simply stands erect, ears up, and puffs up his chest. Other dogs simply lower their heads and approach cautiously with eyes averted. He will stand motionless and permit them to carefully investigate his nether regions and then he will just walk away, often without giving them a sniff. Female Greyhounds will lick his muzzle. For these fine ladies he will do some sniffing of his own.

The photos:

Looking regal

showingsomeheart002.jpg

This is my girlfriend, she is crazy pretty, super sweet and the most joyful Greyhound you will ever meet. I am a bit more serious.

atthebeachpals.jpg

No one runs like me

noonerunslikeme001.jpg

I can fly!

icanflyd.jpg

Launch

hesterlaunch.jpg

Look into my eyes

lookintomyeyes.jpg

Gotcha

hesterinhisyard.jpg

Faster

atthebeach002.jpg

This beach is mine

hesterandwhisper003.jpg

When I cut loose at the beach people ignore there own dogs to watch me.

peoplestandandwatch.jpg

Deep in thought

atthebeach001.jpg

I need my rest

hesterets.jpg

Beautiful photos! I love those of him running on the beach and wish we had that option! He and his girlfriend look as if they are having just the best time together :gh_run2 Oh that last one...the ets, the rolled back eyes...precious! What a lucky & very handsome boy he is :heart

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

What a beauty! Love the beach pics...you can see the pure joy he has for being free at the beach. We've been working on recall for 2 years with our greyhound (just to make sure it was perfect) and we let her off leash this past weekend at the beach, while camping in Ontario...I've never seen her more happy :) Can I ask where this beach is?

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Can I ask where this beach is?

Victoria BC - Greyhound country. Never too hot and never too cold for the hounds. There are many beaches like this. This one in particular has very limited escape options for the dogs. The whole area is quite perfect with endless forest trails and no traffic. The rate of dog ownership here must be very high. It seems everyone has a dog.

The whole recall thing is interesting. Some Greyhounds seem very independant and I imagine difficult to train for recall. My boy is so needy and was so bonded to me from day three (when he wound his front leg around mine while standing beside me) that he has had perfect recall since that time. However the fact remains that if he goes after something he really wants, he will not be coming back until he is done - so maybe not perfect recall.

Edited by KickReturn

Gorgeous boy and gorgeous photos! (his girfriend is adorable too :wub:)

I am so jealous of that beach! It looks perfect for greys, really well insulated! I loved Victoria and Vancouver Island in general.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest HoundWorks

What great pictures! Looks like the beach was great fun! I'm headed to Virginia Beach this weekend and hope that Dex can get some beach time.

Guest Javagirl

Gorgeous photos! So fun to watch them play in the water. We have a few dog 'beaches' in the area and Ladd loves them - but the actual ocean freaks him out!

First - Ladd is spectacular looking.

As for the ocean, when you go make sure the wind is offshore. When Hester first saw the ocean the wind was onshore and the surf terrified him. He turned around and headed for the car. But after a few visits in calm conditions he will go blasting into the water.

Thank you for helping me "meet" Hester. He clearly has found a good home - he looks so joyous and happy. I love how each dog has his own story and approach to life and new adventures. I wsh my Olivia could be at a beach but here in sunny Arizona that is not going to happen for awile yet.

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

Guest Krissyfissy

What a beautiful boy! And he can really fly! Sounds like things are going just swimmingly there. Nice to meet you and Hester :)

Thanks for sharing...I would love to live near Victoria and now you've given me more reasons. Hester looks like the perfect grey...happy and content.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross