Questions About Giardia- Update Post # 30

Sam the mutt pup came to us as an about 9 week old with a raging case of giardia that took a while to correctly diagnose. Once the vet was on to it, Flagyl was prescribed. Most of the symptoms abated but it came back full strength after 8 days or so. Even though the SNAP was negative, I was sure it was still the giardia and urged the vet to prescribe something else. Did that, symptoms abated but it came back. A few days later, re-tried the SNAP and it came back positive. We danced this dance for 5 months. Finally, 3 SNAP tests in row came back negative and we were done with giardia. Poor Sam had a very sickly puppyhood. Giardia is very sneaky. I'm still crazed about the dogs drinking standing water outside. Our vet says that's where most dogs come in contact with it.

Hope your pup feels better soon!

No puddles here, but he ocassionlly will sniff the grass and then start licking something - i'm assuming that's where he picked it up. I usually try to head that off, but every once in a while he sneaks one by me.

If you boarded him, he could have picked it up there. The foster I had was in a kennel before he came to me and I think that's probably where he picked up his giardia. You mentioned Rocket had been boarded 2 weeks prior to getting sick, so I'd bet that's where he picked it up.

There are so many places he could have picked it up that I can't even worry about where it happened. Our walking route usually has some poop in the grass because of a few idiots that feel they don't have to pick up after their dogs.

The whoie thing that has me looking at Giardia are his symptoms, and the fact that there seems to be a dramatic increase in Giardia cases in the area. Hopefully we can get an accurate test / diagnosis and get him back to his old self. Since he's laying around and sleeping most of the day, I've had no one to almost trip over 70 times a day....

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Tylan powder was a miracle drug for lexie. She was on it three years. We tried stopping a year ago cause she started the vetri probiotic. We still give her the tylan when we kennel her. Give it a try. Feel better soon rocket.

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Tylan powder was a miracle drug for lexie. She was on it three years. We tried stopping a year ago cause she started the vetri probiotic. We still give her the tylan when we kennel her. Give it a try. Feel better soon rocket.

Ordered and will be here Tuesday. Thanks to those who suggested it. Whatever is going on,Ii think it will help him.

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

We just finished a week of Tylan Powder here and it is pretty amazing stuff. Kare Bear came down with the D seemingly overnight and a 32 hour fast did not help her so off to the vet we went. Not sure if it was the TOTW recall, or whether she picked up something from grass eating on walks, but the Tylan seemed to work before the second dose was administered. Tylan is very bitter though, so I mixed it in with some soupy canned food and she took it just fine.

Feel better Rocket!

Update! This morning we actually had formed-poop during our walk. It's a good sign. He has slept through the night the past few nights instead of needing a 4:30 AM meal to calm his tummy. We may be getting back on track!

I have elminated the cooked rice that we were giving him which seems to have helped eliminate the runs. He had his last dose of Flagyl, and we have started working his meals back to a mix of kibble and boiled chicken. We are feeding 4 smaller meals a day instead of the usual 2. The bloody stools and the nasty smell have subsided, so we may have won this round using Flagyl and cooked food.

Thanks to everyone for their good wishes and all of the suggestions. Hopefully, I'm not jinxing this by posting a good update!

i have Tylan Powder coming today, so it is only natural that the problem gets better after i order a $60.00 jar of something with overnight shipping..... it never fails! :kickbutt

Well, now he'll never have tummy issues again (till you give the Tylan away)! Glad he's sleeping through the night. It's rough on them when they don't get a full 15 hours.

Or the day after the Tylan expires.......

It's rough on me when I don't get MY 15 hours a night......old age is hell.

When Enza had giardia, she was treated with Panacur. I actually keep some on hand these days for when she seems off - because after giardia and hookworms over the course of 6 months, I pretty much have it figured out when it's a tummy or worms.

When Enza had giardia, she was treated with Panacur. I actually keep some on hand these days for when she seems off - because after giardia and hookworms over the course of 6 months, I pretty much have it figured out when it's a tummy or worms.

We never got to the point of confirming Giardia, as the vet wanted to do a 2nd round of Flagyl first. It is still in the back of my mind now that the Flagyl is finished. If it comes right back, then we'll be doing test and doing a round of Panacur. I'm hoping we're out of the woods, but ready to get right back into the fight if need be.

I will have a small pharmacy on hand shortly myself....