Clearly, Jack black is a momma's boy, he is a puppy and working through normal puppy issues. He is crated when I leave for work, luckily I only live two miles from work and am able to come home several times a day to let him out. Jack does whine and bark when I leave him, this goes on about 10 to 15 minutes and then he quiets down. I leave him in the morning with some treats and then when I come home mid morning, I leave a Kong for him with peanut butter. When I come home in the early afternoon the kong is empty, I give him a few treats before I leave. Do people use one Kong a day for their dogs? What do you put in them and do you use them everyday? Just thinking about other things I can use to keep Jack distracted and happy for the time I am away. Thanks

Linda, Jack and Keeva

Guest giantsfan

We give kongs to our dogs when we're going to be gone for a long time (workdays, something on a weekend that keeps us out most of the day). Our dogs probably finish them in ~10 minutes and they don't get a second, even if for some odd reason I come home at lunch. And honestly, even though they probably were useful when we first got the dogs, they don't "need" them now. I just do it as a treat. We just line the interior rim about 1" up with the wet version of their normal dog food and freeze it.

Guest sja5032

Usually I put either kibble or small treats in and then "seal" with PB & freeze overnight. I like to think this makes it last longer but who knows, I don't stay to watch!

I do the same as sja, a treat inside and then plug with peanut butter and freeze overnight. Another thing I do is take the empty marrow bones and put a plug of peanut butter on one end and freeze it. Then once frozen, I add yogurt or wet dog food to the middle and top off with another dab of peanut butter and freeze. It's a good way to get some use out of those old marrow bones.

I gave up on a Kong a while ago. Annie Bella just can't be bothered working on it. She'll go for what's within easy reach inside the hole and then ignore it. I too used it just for a treat because she has no SA issues (knocking on wood).

Guest DragonflyDM

Clearly, Jack black is a momma's boy, he is a puppy and working through normal puppy issues. He is crated when I leave for work, luckily I only live two miles from work and am able to come home several times a day to let him out. Jack does whine and bark when I leave him, this goes on about 10 to 15 minutes and then he quiets down. I leave him in the morning with some treats and then when I come home mid morning, I leave a Kong for him with peanut butter. When I come home in the early afternoon the kong is empty, I give him a few treats before I leave. Do people use one Kong a day for their dogs? What do you put in them and do you use them everyday? Just thinking about other things I can use to keep Jack distracted and happy for the time I am away. Thanks

Linda, Jack and Keeva

I bought one kong for peanut butter and kibble--- but quickly found it was cheaper to get about three Redbarn Peanut Butter Filled Bone (the smaller 3-4 inch kind). After they eat the inside, I fill them back up with peanut butter and kibble and freeze them. I always have at least one in the freezer.

Total cost? About $10 for the three "bones" and whatever you use for PB refill.

Mashed potatoes are your friend! I mix them with a bit of kibble, or shredded cheese, or some other yummy nom (or use nothing but the potatoes), stuff the Kong, and plug the hole with peanut butter or cream cheese, then freeze. For a long time I would buy a bag of potatoes, cut, boil, ay yai yai ... Now, a box of instant works just as well! You can also mix kibble with canned food and freeze that. Marrow bones are good to fill and freeze, too. I make up about a dozen at a time and keep them in the freezer, next to the chikken paws. :)

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest jbbuzby

For a puppy, I'd have several kongs in waiting in the freezer and would give as many as necessary every time you leave. You can soak their food in water and then mix in some yogurt and freeze it to avoid over-feeding or tummy upsets, but canned pumpkin and wet dog food also work well!

We give kongs to our dogs when we're going to be gone for a long time (workdays, something on a weekend that keeps us out most of the day). Our dogs probably finish them in ~10 minutes and they don't get a second, even if for some odd reason I come home at lunch. And honestly, even though they probably were useful when we first got the dogs, they don't "need" them now. I just do it as a treat. We just line the interior rim about 1" up with the wet version of their normal dog food and freeze it.

We're pretty much the same as Giantsfan - Bella doesn't need them at this point, but it's a habit for all of us. She gets one when we leave for work in the morning, and if we're going to be away for most of the day on a weekend.

I have 6 Kongs, fill them once a week and stick them in the freezer. I put a few Charley Bear treats in the bottom, and then fill with a mix of oatmeal, yogurt, banana, peanut butter and pumpkin (when I can get it). Bella will get through them in about 20 minutes, but now she knows that if she's getting a Kong, she's alone for a while. It costs only a few dollars to fill all 6 and then I have a stash in the freezer which makes it so easy.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

both of my dogs love their kongs. i use the med or small size(left over from felix's puppyhood) so i can give them more than one. annie stands and watches me fill them. try some baby food(meat variety) or canned dog food(forgot about that- i never buy it)if your dog doesn't really go for it the first time. schmear some on the grooves on the interior and freeze, the same as you would do w/ the peanut butter. that should get him interested.

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest Angelique

¡I love Kongs and the RedBarn bones! Cassy will eat through one in about 10 min, he is da kong expert.

I would fill them with this usual kibble and give as many as half of his regular meals in kongs...

Squeezy cheese in a can makes an easy first layer for a kong.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.