Horse-Like Tendencies

Guest ztirpak

Guest ztirpak

Hey all,

New to the forums and this is my first topic! I wanted to share an interesting behavior my 5 year-old Case exhibits when he knows we're going outside. As soon as he hears a leash he goes into very bronco-like bucking and rearing. I call him 'Man O War' (after the famously ornery racehorse) when he gets like this. With his rearing up and bucking, he reminds me of a racehorse. Any similar experiences or thoughts?

Yep :lol I had a boy named Steak and he LOVED the leash, so much so that when my husband would go to put on a belt in the morning he had to hide in the closet because Steak thought it was a leash and would come barreling into him and bucking all around and jumping up and down :lol He is gone now and not a moment goes by any day that I don't think of him. Enjoy the quirks.

You can work with your dog to calm down a bit, we did with Steak but he still would get so excited and it always put a smile on my face :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest ztirpak

Yep :lol I had a boy named Steak and he LOVED the leash, so much so that when my husband would go to put on a belt in the morning he had to hide in the closet because Steak thought it was a leash and would come barreling into him and bucking all around and jumping up and down :lol He is gone now and not a moment goes by any day that I don't think of him. Enjoy the quirks.

You can work with your dog to calm down a bit, we did with Steak but he still would get so excited and it always put a smile on my face :)

Haha! Case does the same thing when I'm getting ready for work. Really anything that jingles gets him all riled up. And I agree with you on the last part, I think it's pretty funny to watch. I let him have his ten seconds of excitement and then snap the leash on and take him out!

Guest JustGreyt05

I kiss and cluck at my dog to get him to move and say "Whoa" when I want him to stop. He gets it! Some of his clothes are mini horse blankets haha

Ranger does the same thing. He will also start spinning around like a top in between the bucking and rearing. :lol I keep their leashes in the same closet as my coats so any time I go to get my raincoat out he goes nuts thinking he's going somewhere because that's where his leash is.

Celeste and Darcy will wag their tails a lot, but the feet stay on the ground. Bonny, on the other hand, rears up onto her two back legs. Up-and-down she goes. We call it the "Bonny Bounce".

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Mine don't do the bucking thing much, although Ajax is my clown and does his own happy dance when the leashes come out. Sometimes he'll do a perfect "rocking horse" over to the front door: hopping up and down alternating between front and back feet. Other times he'll do a fine horse prance with his head thrown high and slightly to the side.

And of course, I think the biggest horse-like tendency that all of our greyhounds have is when they rest their heads on each others backs. I always find that very endearing.

Edited by jetcitywoman

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest ztirpak

Welcome to the forum! Yup, mine gets super happy when going for walkies too. What's your boys racing name?

Case's race name is CTW Legal Case

Guest greymama002

Pulsar did that the very 1st time he saw the ocean! It's the only time he has gone into full bucking horse mode, but he does a prancing pony every time the leash comes out.

Lucy and Cash do this. We tell them "You are not jumping beans!"

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Welcome to the forum! Yup, mine gets super happy when going for walkies too. What's your boys racing name?

Case's race name is CTW Legal Case

OMG! I have your dogs littermate :D I have CTW Legally Wed, now known as Madi. My boy that I was telling you about, Steak, was CTW Well Done. He was a full sibling but in a different breeding two years earlier :).

CTW Legally Wed (Madi)

Madi.jpg

CTW Well Done (Steak)

IMG_7029.jpg

Together :)

CIMG1064.jpg

Oh yes, the sound of a leash causes super excitement here. Or the random jingling of a belt. :unsure

There are techniques you can use to calm down the reaction, and you might want to consider it.

As far as horse-like behavior - my neighbor is a horse-trainer. A few years ago he saw me trying to get a greyhound into my car - without success. Feet planted - NOT getting in. The more I shoved, the more the dog balked. He came over, and said "Can I try?". ABSOLUTELY.

He took the lead, and walked the dog away from the car, then started walking him in circles, ever closer to the car, round and round, then finally ended a circle at the car door and gave him a little slap on the butt just at the door and the dog jumped in.

He said - "That's how you load a horse on a trailer if they're skittish. Your dogs are as big as horses, so I though we could give it a try!" :lol

Another time - after trying all the tricks, he helped me get a very stubborn grey in the car. That involved wrapping a leash under his hocks and pulling, it makes the back legs buckle and they have to go forward. That's the stubborn-horse way, when the "nice" ways don't work. B)

I've actually noticed that greys and horses DO have a lot in common.

Guest EvanstonGrey

CTW Legally Wed (Madi)

Madi.jpg

CTW Well Done (Steak)

IMG_7029.jpg

Together :)

CIMG1064.jpg

Just have to say, WHAT GORGEOUS FACES, wow!

Guest aowam

Gable does that big time. I think the little jumpies are cute, but when he puts his paws (and claws) on us it hurts! And the barking!!! Glad to hear this seems to be a common behavior. I'd rather him not claw us to death, but I'm cool with him getting excited about something. :)

But I don't obsess :P I like the surprise of it. I don't go looking for anything. In this instance it was a fun revelation :).