Still Unsocial With Other Dogs

Guest aowam

Guest aowam

Still having issues with meeting other dogs with my grey. Granted it has only been 2 months, but i thought we were making headway with a few successful greets. Bigger dogs he has no problems with, medium dogs seem to be OK too, so I chalked it up to small toy dogs--especially the white ones. We were at the vet the other day and this small beagle wandered right up to him and it was great: he did a lot of butt-sniffing (and she tried too but couldn't reach) and was perfectly calm. Then this morning there was a black dog a little bigger than that beagle and the owner said "he's friendly," so what does Gable do? Rushes straight up, making the other dog jump backwards and the owner raised an eyebrow, so we hurried away. The black dog didn't seem scared--in fact it seemed to want to continue the greeting, so I don't think he was being aggressive? He doesn't growl. Maybe he just has no idea how to be polite about greeting other dogs (even with the bigger dogs he head-rushes them)? Maybe he doesn't like other boys? I think I am partially to blame because I can't help but get nervous with these things, and because of that I mostly watch the other dog instead of watching mine. I don't know exactly how reacts (does he snap? I wouldn't know) except that it's something not so good.

I was planning on going to this dog festival tomorrow with him to help socialize, but after this today I am very disinclined to do so what with hundreds of dogs in one area. I don't think I could keep a close eye on him at all times while I'm there. Any (more) suggestions about how to get him more socialized? SHould I go tomorrow?

He might have leash reactivity (do a search under Training and Behavior). Some dogs show unruly behavior to other dogs while on leash.

I have this with Lou who reacts to some dogs while walking.

I would suggest some training classes, a harness vs. collar, and most of all training for

you, so you can react favorably.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Don't take your dog ANYWHERE if you "can't keep a close eye on him."

I think you're describing relatively normal dog behavior unless I missed something. He's not growling, jumping, biting--he's just greeting them with enthusiasm? The solution, is close quarters, is keep him under your control. Shorten up your leash, keep him at your side.

Dogs sense tension--so perhaps for YOUR sake a class with other breeds of dogs in it would be helpful?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

He might have leash reactivity (do a search under Training and Behavior). Some dogs show unruly behavior to other dogs while on leash.

I have this with Lou who reacts to some dogs while walking.

We have this issue with our greyhound Bonny. She is perfectly fine around other greyhounds, but very reactive to other breeds while on lead. In fact, this morning we ran into one of our neighbors who has a greyhound and another type of dog. Normally I avoid other dogs on walks, but I could see how much this guys greyhound wanted to see our girls. Unfortunately, Bonny started acting ballistic because of the other dog. I just grab hold of Bonny's collar, pull her to my side and tell her firmly NO.

If you do go to the Pet Fiesta tomorrow, I'd just keep Gable on a short leash close to your side. I would not let him run up to other dogs until he was calm enough to handle it. As long as you're in control, you should be fine. There are lots of greyhounds at this event he can visit with too.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

It's about control. I'm thinking that if Gable can rush right up to another dog, there is too much leash out. He can't rush anybody if he's at your side.

When Annie Bella and I see people or dogs on our walks and it's obvious we'll pass by each other, I immediately put her on a very short leash, as in she is right at my knee and my hand is at the clip of the leash where it joins the collar. AB's not a snarky dog or a jumpy dog, but not everybody likes dogs, so by keeping her close, I'm making them feel comfortable about meeting Annie Bella, as well as not all dogs are friendly and nice, so I am protecting her too.

It's about control. I'm thinking that if Gable can rush right up to another dog, there is too much leash out. He can't rush anybody if he's at your side.

When Annie Bella and I see people or dogs on our walks and it's obvious we'll pass by each other, I immediately put her on a very short leash, as in she is right at my knee and my hand is at the clip of the leash where it joins the collar. AB's not a snarky dog or a jumpy dog, but not everybody likes dogs, so by keeping her close, I'm making them feel comfortable about meeting Annie Bella, as well as not all dogs are friendly and nice, so I am protecting her too.

This. It's well-said.

Rocket has been with us for 3 1/2 years. I still do this when meeting other dogs or humans while walking. People appreciate it, and I usually go so far as to move into the grass, put him in a "wait"," and let the other person pass us or pet him if they ask..

Rocket really doesn't have any aggression or reactivity on a leash, but he does not like other dogs yapping at him, especially the little white ones which it seems every house in our neighborhood has at least one of. To this day, he seems upset that they are yapping at him and he doesn't know why. They can even be yapping from behind a privacy fence where we canlt see them, and he will want to cross the street or go the other way.

He is fine meeting other dogs as long as they are under control also, and don't come running or lunging at him. When he sees a larger dog or another Greyhound, everything is right in his world, no problems at all. I would even go so far as to call him a Greyhound Snob. :lol

Your dog really sounds pretty normal, and just needs some proper exposure to other dogs. I'm not sure that the event you are planning to attend is a good first exposure to masses of other breeds, and may overwhelm your pup.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest jbbuzby

In case it hasn't been stressed enough, leashed greetings and off-leash greetings are two completely different things. I work at a vet's office and see some dogs act *horrifically* with their owners when leashed, but these same dogs are regulars to our daycare program and have no trouble at all unleashed and away from owners. If you are really concerned, I'd suggest thinking about taking them to daycare a couple times (with a trusted, knowledgeable staff of course) so you could set your mind at ease that your dog is actually social and normal! Merely a suggestion though; I know some grey parents are tentative about daycare. It's been great for me and my pups though as a very occasional thing.

Also, yes, you being nervous and holding the leash taut while your dog meets other dogs intensifies any reaction; keep him close, don't let him approach face to face if you can help it, and keep the leash loose (you can keep it short, but loose). Otherwise, I'd say your dog's reactions sound normal. He may never warm up to small fluffy dogs unless indoors and off leash (mine regularly see my parent's westie and are fine with him), but unfamiliar small fluffy dogs I *always* try to avoid. Also remember that every dog is different and may just rub your dog the wrong way, especially since they're getting used to different sizes of dog. Just try to not make a big deal about it when greetings happen; otherwise you *can* create a fear or aggression problem with your dog and other canines.

Good luck! It sounds like you've been doing just fine with him thus far. Try not to worry!

In case it hasn't been stressed enough, leashed greetings and off-leash greetings are two completely different things. I work at a vet's office and see some dogs act *horrifically* with their owners when leashed, but these same dogs are regulars to our daycare program and have no trouble at all unleashed and away from owners. If you are really concerned, I'd suggest thinking about taking them to daycare a couple times (with a trusted, knowledgeable staff of course) so you could set your mind at ease that your dog is actually social and normal! Merely a suggestion though; I know some grey parents are tentative about daycare. It's been great for me and my pups though as a very occasional thing.

This is an interesting idea, actually. Find a day care that does doggy interviews to assess if your dog is sociable enough to behave in a daycare setting. Even if you have no intention of putting him into daycare, perhaps if you explain the situation to them, they'd be happy to give him an interview to assess him and tell you the results. I noticed that you're in VA, there are several good doggy daycare places in my area that require a dog interview. Dog Days Playcare and Olde Towne Pet Resort are two that I know for sure do that.

However, since you need something before tomorrow...

Also, yes, you being nervous and holding the leash taut while your dog meets other dogs intensifies any reaction; keep him close, don't let him approach face to face if you can help it, and keep the leash loose (you can keep it short, but loose). Otherwise, I'd say your dog's reactions sound normal. He may never warm up to small fluffy

I agree that I think the OP's dog sounds normal. He sounds exactly like my Ajax, who is good as gold for one little nipper but lunges at another one. The advice above is perfect but may be hard for a new person to quite understand. I know I have difficulties with keeping an excited dog next to me without having any tension on the leash. If he's excited, he's going to pull on the leash! What I do to compensate is make sure he's touching or leaning against my leg. Once I position him there, I loosen the leash and touch his neck or shoulder with my hand. This transmits my lack of nervousness to him (because I'm supremely confident as is the OP, right? RIGHT!? B) ) and it also allows me to instantly feel if he tenses up. I've had success with this. I also insist that we (both of us with me showing him how) stand calmly and just look. We will stand calmly and watch strange dogs act like cartoon tazmanian devils as they pass us by.

Finally, if it's the Reston Pet Fiesta you want to come to, COME! If you are a BRGA adoptee, especially, come on down and hang with us and ask questions. The events are for you to socialize and get support as much as they are to support the group.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

My grey is reactive when on leash, not with every dog, but often enough. I chalk his growling and barking up to his going over threshold. Nothing can reach him then, not even a porter house steak in front of his nose. When he's below threshold, I can easily lead him along and away. He's my first dog, so I have no comparison; I imagine there are dogs that pass threshold far more easily than others, and what triggers Tracker may not faze your dog at all. So your/his success at this event tomorrow probably will be influenced by your dog's threshold level. I just know Tracker would be miserable and so far above threshold the entire time he could never calm down. He would consider this whole thing a miserable afternoon and associate "tons of dogs" with something to be avoided. I would maybe take your dog, stay on the periphery, watch him closely as to where he's at with his threshold and move closer/farther away as needed. Physiologically speaking, he can't hear you when he's above threshold, and he can't learn, because that part of his brain is inaccessible then. But he may be fine. The only concern I would have is the fact that you said you can't keep an eye on him the whole time. That could spell trouble.

I might be wrong but, I'm picking up some hesitancy about having your dog meet other dogs because you are unsure how they will react and whether you will be able to control the situation. It's a normal reaction and one that can be addressed by going to training classes that has other non-greyhounds in class. You can explain your fears to the teacher and he/she can make sure any "dog meetings" are supervised.

If you find that your dog does not do well with non-greyhounds then it's just a matter of making sure that strange dogs do not come up to you. Of course this is easier said than done but, one of my dogs is non-grey reactive so I know it is possible most of the time (not 100%).

I'm also not sure from your statements whether you are using a "tight" lead or letting your dog wander too far from your side. As a note, the further your dog is away from your side the less control you have. With new dogs, you should probably have them walking right by your side on a tight lead (about a foot or so). When you get to certain spots on your walk you can let the lead out a bit so they can "do their duty".

We have a high prey leash reactive grey and one who is over friendly. Makes for interesting times. Pk is kept at my side whenever we see a strange dog and told to 'leave it'. It's working more and more. Mixed breed obedience has also helped.

What struck me about your post is that you don't know how your dog is reacting because you are so busy watching the other dog, and that you can't keep a close eye on your dog at a crowded event. My focus when walking is on my dogs. They'll tell me what I need to know , which is why pk is successfully taken to markets, obedience and out generally. Because I watch her and react to her signals.

We have a high prey leash reactive grey and one who is over friendly. Makes for interesting times. Pk is kept at my side whenever we see a strange dog and told to 'leave it'. It's working more and more. Mixed breed obedience has also helped.

What struck me about your post is that you don't know how your dog is reacting because you are so busy watching the other dog, and that you can't keep a close eye on your dog at a crowded event. My focus when walking is on my dogs. They'll tell me what I need to know , which is why pk is successfully taken to markets, obedience and out generally. Because I watch her and react to her signals.

When I first got Tracker (first dog ever) I focussed (nervously) on the other dogs we encountered, as well, just to learn to read them and to figure out whether they meant trouble or not. After a while, I got a pretty good idea from a distance quickly, and could shift over to focussing on Tracker's behavior. Maybe that's what's going on with OP, too.

Guest aowam
When I first got Tracker (first dog ever) I focussed (nervously) on the other dogs we encountered, as well, just to learn to read them and to figure out whether they meant trouble or not. After a while, I got a pretty good idea from a distance quickly, and could shift over to focussing on Tracker's behavior. Maybe that's what's going on with OP, too.

Yes! That's exactly what I'm doing, though obviously I should be more attuned to Gable.

We are working on it (both of us) and this morning's walk was surprisingly PERFECT. I've been trying to train him to walk well, loose leash and all that jazz. He's mostly good just some minor issues. THere was even this tiny little white puppy thing that barked at him as we passed, but I Had him close to my side as ya'll suggested and gave the others a bit of a berth. The other people didn't even bother reining in their yapper, just stared at us as we passed. Gable was certainly interested, but no whining and kept going with me. I'm hoping that his awesomeness this morning will rub off later a the Fiesta (yes, I'm attempting at least for a little bit), if he hasn't used up all his angel points for the day. Thanks for the advice! We will keep trucking along.

Yes! That's exactly what I'm doing, though obviously I should be more attuned to Gable.

We are working on it (both of us) and this morning's walk was surprisingly PERFECT. I've been trying to train him to walk well, loose leash and all that jazz. He's mostly good just some minor issues. THere was even this tiny little white puppy thing that barked at him as we passed, but I Had him close to my side as ya'll suggested and gave the others a bit of a berth. The other people didn't even bother reining in their yapper, just stared at us as we passed. Gable was certainly interested, but no whining and kept going with me. I'm hoping that his awesomeness this morning will rub off later a the Fiesta (yes, I'm attempting at least for a little bit), if he hasn't used up all his angel points for the day. Thanks for the advice! We will keep trucking along.

I like the term "angel points." LOL Very cute. Good news about your success. I'm sure Gable felt your control long before a situation could start. Isn't it amazing how people just let their dogs -- whether large or small -- walk way out on the leash as if they own the sidewalk? Success breeds success and it will get better.

Guest greymama002

I highly recommend a training class where you can practice socializing with others dogs in a controlled environment. Misti became fear reactive toward many other dogs after an overexcited bulldog puppy charged her. She & I attended 2 Behavior classes together, and they made a huge difference. We learned about dog-to-dog communication, reading our own & other dogs' behavior, actions on our part that could keep control interactions and avoid potential problems, and commands to practice like "leave it".

I don't expect Misti to "be friendly" with every other dog we meet, and if I see her ears go up & posture go on alert, I hold the leash way down by the harness with her totally behind me and tell her "Leave it", so she doesn't even get to look at the other dog. She also trusts that I will not let other dogs get too close if she shows that she doesn't want them to. Other times, when she is relaxed and chooses to meet another dog, I will let her, but again carefully watch both dogs behavior.

It takes time to get to know your dog's signals, and for your dog to trust that you are in control of the interaction. I would not rcommend attending an event with a large number of strange dogs that would likely be overwhelming until you have gained more experience with your dog in more controlled settings.

Guest aowam

Post-event success!!! We came a little earlier than the event was scheduled to start (parking) and both of us were all excited coming in. What i got from him was amazing: complete greatness. I attribute it to the overall calmness of the other dogs in the area. As more and more dogs showed up, he was totally cool about everything. He listened when i told him "no mark," greeting people and other dogs were complete successes. Even this little curly pup was greeted well and politely. I was overjoyed and very proud of him. We left after an hour because it wass getting hot with 2 new martingales and a ton of dog brochures. So very happy!!!! I think we need more events like this.

Congrats! And hey, I think I saw you and Gable when you stopped by our booth! I'm home now doing "honey-dos" but I set up the booth this morning and hung around until our first volunteer dogs arrived. I remember a lady and dog that looked like your profile pic. Were you wearing a red shirt?

If that was you, I didn't pick up ANY anxiety or aggression from your hound, so you're doing a great job. It's a good idea to keep things like that short, so you were right to take him home soon. But I think he'll do fine in the long run!

Oh, I just thought of another good venue you can take him to. Two weekends from now is the Loudoun County Spring Farm Tour, and part of that is that the local wineries have tastings. BRGA will be at North Gate Winery having an all-weekend meet and greet. I'll be running the table on Saturday if you want to come out for a couple hours, chat, drink FANTASTIC wine and hang out. Greyhounds will be the only dogs there because normally dogs aren't allowed at the wineries but they're making an exception for us, and it's a lot less crowded than the Fiesta or Grapehounds, so it's less likely that Gable will be over-simulated or upset. If they have a live band like last year, we'll be set up on the back patio. Keep it in mind and if you're free, come on out!

Edited by jetcitywoman

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Post-event success!!! We came a little earlier than the event was scheduled to start (parking) and both of us were all excited coming in. What i got from him was amazing: complete greatness. I attribute it to the overall calmness of the other dogs in the area. As more and more dogs showed up, he was totally cool about everything. He listened when i told him "no mark," greeting people and other dogs were complete successes. Even this little curly pup was greeted well and politely. I was overjoyed and very proud of him. We left after an hour because it wass getting hot with 2 new martingales and a ton of dog brochures. So very happy!!!! I think we need more events like this.

Great news!!! Regan and Celeste were in the GPA-NoVA booth from 12:15 until about 3:15 p.m. (I was volunteering at a horse show today). Hope to meet you at Grapehounds next weekend.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest greymama002

I am so glad to hear that Gable is getting comfortable with other dogs, and that you kept it successful for him! Best of luck that his success will continue!

Guest aowam

Congrats! And hey, I think I saw you and Gable when you stopped by our booth! I'm home now doing "honey-dos" but I set up the booth this morning and hung around until our first volunteer dogs arrived. I remember a lady and dog that looked like your profile pic. Were you wearing a red shirt?

Yepp!!! That was me and the boy. Great to have met you!

06:37 PM'] Great news!!! Regan and Celeste were in the GPA-NoVA booth from 12:15 until about 3:15 p.m. (I was volunteering at a horse show today). Hope to meet you at Grapehounds next weekend.

Yeeeah I was there early and left early so I missed out on everyone. I am planning on getting to Grapehounds, but Gable has a vet appt that morning to follow up on his UTI, so hopefully I'll make it.

Edited by aowam