Pee Accidents - No Uti

Raspberry had been having full blown pee accidents in her crate on & off for several months. We have been to the vet on three different occasions for bloddwork, urinalysis & two urine cultures. All resuts have come up negative/normal. The nest step according the vet would be an ultrasoucnd to look at her organs more closely for any obvious causes.

Before doing that, we are trying to figure out if it could be behavioral, or perhaps related to food issues, or anything else?

She drinks a ton of water, but we also cannot figure out if this is behaviorial or physical. She has water in her crate, but never drinks it, she likes to empty the bowls of water that are out in the house whenever she gets a chance. Part of the reason I think it may be behavioral is we have a second dog now and I wonder if she thinks he's going to drink all the water. Someone also suggested switching foods, that hers may be to rich (Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream), but she also has a sensitive tummy & it works well for her poops.

Any thoughts, suggestions? Or should we just got for the ultrasound?

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

switch foods and measure her water intake. your vet should be able to figure out how much. my 76# male's water intake should be a little under 3 quarts. not sure if you can figure out the ratio for rasberry(i presume a female). we went from a "better" food to nutro large breed lamb and rice and they pups have never done as well. felix went thru major water intake/output problems one of the things my vet asked me to do was put him on a standard quality food.(huh..standard...i guess he meant not a high end product. the increase in urine/water intake was after felix tried nature's domain for a month- similar to taste of the wild).

Edited by cleptogrey

Switch foods first - if my Larry gets the wrong type of protein one of the symptoms is the need to drink and urinate more along with watery poo - he is allergic to chicken & noodles. Also, if Larry gets too much protein (slight kidney issue) he will also drink more and urinate more so it might be a good idea to try a dog food with much less protein (also less salt).

Also, add a cranberry pill to her food - I do that for my Lucy because she had urinary tract infections.

I hate to mention it but, you may want to do some home-cooking to figure out if food is the issue.

Hey Jennifer!

I did the measure the water thing, and my vet was SHOCKED to learn George drinks exactly TWO CUPS of water while I'm at work. That's way, way less than normal! I don't know where the volume of pee comes from...

We did all the tests--most of them repeatedly. Finally went to the ultrasound--the vet called and said, "I have good news, and I have bad news. The good news is--his organs are totally normal. The bad news is--his organs are totally normal, and we are no closer to figuring out his issue."

What helped, and understand I think this is highly unlikely to help other dogs out there--was having him on an NSAID.

He had stopped peeing for 2 years--and then started. Took me a whole year to realize the ONLY change was the lowering of his Deramaxx dose! Once it went back up to 50 mg. he stopped peeing entirely, and it's been many months.

We have no idea what it is--but it's apparently some sort of inflammation--when it's uninflamed with the medication, he can hold it. When it's not, he can't.

For what it's worth.

Susan and George

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

She is only 3, and overall very healthy. I think it would be hard to measure her water intake since I have two dogs, but I could try. Her pee is almost always very dilute, so that concerns me as well. I'm also not sure if trying to break her from her crate would help or not; she has other reasons she needs to be crated, but doesn't seem to mind the crate. I guess a lot of this is trial and error. I think I will try another food before the ultrasound. Now, what to try? There are so many options!

And forgot to add, she does get cranberry pills, I recently upped it from 1 to 2 per day.

Edited by JenniferS

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Was a tick panel done in any of that blood work? TBD's can affect kidneys, increase water consumption, involve inflammation, and manifest in an on-and-off way. It did all that and more in our Shane. I've come to feel that TBD's should always be explored when our pups have weird, unexplained symptoms like this.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).