Xanax? Advice Please?

Guest EvanstonGrey

Guest EvanstonGrey

Hi all!

We're going to be leaving our sweet girl for three nights at the end of May (my sister is graduating college in NY and we are going to cheer her on). Found a wonderful place to board Fika and are confident that she'll have a greyt time and be well cared for while we're gone

However...

She sleeps with DH and I in bed at night (I know this is controversial but it works for us) or in her dog bed on the floor in the same room. While we're away, she'll be spending the night in a large gated space - not really a crate, but separate cages, not sure how to describe - with other dog 'neighbors' but no humans nearby. I wasn't worried about how she'd handle it before, but I got an email from the sitter where she expressed concern about Fika and potential SA overnight. Sitter is currently watching a grey with terrible SA who "screams" all night and she is worried because I told her Fika sleeps with us. She suggested I ask the vet about a Xanax prescription just in case.

Fika is fine at home by herself for hours a day - we have the amusing videotapes to prove it - and has never shown signs of SA before. (She is our only pet.) My vet is reluctant to give her drugs when we don't even know she has a problem and suggested I keep her off the bed until we leave and even try crating her overnight to see how it goes. Vet told me that different pups react to these meds differently and that it can be a troublesome thing. Her only issue as far as I can tell may be loneliness, she's always slept with either canine or human companions around and I think she will probably be fine if there are other greys in the room with her (this was how she slept in her foster mom's home)

I just don't want her to go through unnecessary trauma before we go if I don't have to. Have any of you guys given Xanax to your hounds? Any advice on if being near other dogs alleviates SA? Help this nervous new mama out?

Thanks so very much for any advice you may have!

I don't know anything about SA; my dogs don't have it. Can you leave her at the sitter for a night well before your trip to see how she does, and then decide on meds? Joe takes Xanax for thunderphobia and it works well. Takes the edge off without making him loopy. Good stuff if the dog needs it!

Guest jbbuzby

My male had horrific anxiety/SA that was cured with time, fluoxetine, and another hound. But, when he stays at kennels or sitter's, it is completely different. Dogs live in the moment and adapt to the individual current situation. If your pup has neighbors, she will probably be just fine. My guy is, especially considering they (presumably) lived in a track for the first few years of life and it was what they knew and were comfortable with. You can get an RX if you want, or perhaps just send along some Rescue Remedy, but I really don't think it sounds like it will be necessary.

Do try to not worry about leaving her, as that actually may make her worry! Keep it short, simple, and up beat when you leave her. I think she'll be just fine, from what you describe.

Guest EvanstonGrey

Thanks so much, these are great ideas (I already feel lots better!) I figure since it's a relatively short trip, if it goes badly at least it's only three nights - and it's possible my sitter is a nervous worrier with a big heart like me who's just a softy. What is Rescue Remedy?

Fika was at the track when she was teeny but she only ran 8 races! Then she was in the SCAL prison program and a foster home with another grey and a boxer. She's still pretty young - turning 3 in July - but has lived with other pups her whole life. In fact her first alone experiences have been since we adopted her (though she is GLUED to me when I'm home, which I don't really mind) and she's handled them marvelously well... As I think on it, she's alone more with us than she will be at the sitters, though we don't crate her here...

Xanax seems to either chill them out or make them hyper. I would have the sitter give some benedryl or melatonin. Is this a person who is pet sitting out of her home? When my pups stay with other people they usually at least have the option of sleeping in the same room as the humans.

------

Jessica

Guest EvanstonGrey

Yes, the pet sitter boards the hounds at her house, but they aren't allowed to sleep with the humans... She'll have free reign during the day, though to get plenty of pets and cuddles. How much Benadryl/melatonin do you give? My vet said the same thing about the Xanax - either it makes them mellow or it can have the opposite effect which would NOT be good :( I agree that the heavy duty meds aren't something to be taken lightly...

Xanax seems to either chill them out or make them hyper. I would have the sitter give some benedryl or melatonin. Is this a person who is pet sitting out of her home? When my pups stay with other people they usually at least have the option of sleeping in the same room as the humans.

photos on your blog are fabulous :)

Thanks! Lol I'm a camera moron so most of them get deleted!

When I give melatonin I use 6mg. Benedryl would be two pills. But try the melatonin first since it's not a drug. I wish you lived closer. She could come sleep in my bed.... Do you have any contacts with your adoption group? Sometimes people who have 1 pup and are on the fence about a second would love to pup sit. ;-)

------

Jessica

If she has not shown any signs of SA and she is bording with other dogs, I wouldn't worry about it. Take her bed, blankets, stuffies or whatever she has at home to make her comfy and she should do well. If she has any issues make sure the sitter has your number and if necessary you can call the vet then.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Several thoughts:

Boarding is NOT like staying at home. The fact that it *is* a home is secondary. Once out of her familiar environment, she will act differently, especially if you're not there. We boarded our two boys many times - for day care and for vacations - and they did fine. Both of them were total velcro dogs who slept in bed at home with us.

If you and your dog sitter are worried, have her stay over for a trial period before you leave and there aren't any options. I'd suggest two nights to give her a chance to adjust, or a couple one nighters not too far apart. If she freaks out, you can go get her with no harm done. And you'll have a chance to figure out what to do.

Same for the xanax. I've never had the hyper reaction. It usually calms them down without making them sedated. If she does have an issue staying overnight, and you feel you want to try xanax, ask your vet for a trial prescription so you can give it to her when she's under your direct supervision. Xanax may or may not work, depending on the source of your dog's anxiety, and her sensitivity to the drug.

Xanax is a benzodiazepine anti-anxiety medication. It's the same drug as people use for anxiety attacks. It's very fast acting and doesn't persist in the system. It's relatively safe. Valium is another fast-acting option. Don't use an SSRI (selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor) anti-anxiety med like prozac or paxil. They both need time to build up in the body to be effective.

Benedryl - is an antihistamine with sedating properties. Use the same dosage amounts per pound of body weight as for a human.

Melatonin is a natural hormone that *can* help calm a person or dog down and get to sleep. You basically can't overdose on it, and it just depends on how she reacts to it as to how much she would need per dose. Many use it for thunder/storm anxiety at between 6-9mgs per dose.

Rescue Remedy is a homeopathic liquid that is purported to have calming capabilities. It works for some and not for others.

Good luck.

For all of these drug options, it's always best to try and have the drug in their system before the dog becomes anxious.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I would not permit a dog sitter to make a decision whether or not to drug my dog. I find it odd that she'd even mention in. One Greyhound client has an issue so she thinks yours will too?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I wouldn't drug the dog especially if there is no evidence that there is a problem.

If there is a problem, have the pet sitter call you and then you discuss with the vet the appropriate actions - if necessary, the pet sitter could pick up medication at that time.

And as a note (and maybe I'm being harsh) .... I might be slightly worried about having a pet sitter that is not able to cope with a dog crying at night - I've had plenty of fosters that did that and it only lasts for a few days and I never thought about "drugging them" so I could sleep.

I wouldn't drug the dog especially if there is no evidence that there is a problem.

If there is a problem, have the pet sitter call you and then you discuss with the vet the appropriate actions - if necessary, the pet sitter could pick up medication at that time.

And as a note (and maybe I'm being harsh) .... I might be slightly worried about having a pet sitter that is not able to cope with a dog crying at night - I've had plenty of fosters that did that and it only lasts for a few days and I never thought about "drugging them" so I could sleep.

Ditto to all. She'll likely be fine.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest EvanstonGrey

I would not permit a dog sitter to make a decision whether or not to drug my dog. I find it odd that she'd even mention in. One Greyhound client has an issue so she thinks yours will too?

I had the same thought. I think she just felt especially bad for this greyhound and was worried. You are right though, we have no idea what my girl will do - my guess is she assumes it will be a problem since Fika sleeps in the room with us?

Thank you for this point! What did you do when your fosters would cry? Did they eventually settle on their own or did you work some special magic :) ? My vet is nearby and very accessible by phone/email as well, I think you guys are right on with all of your wonderful advice, it is MUCH appreciated - I just want to do right for my pup.

Several thoughts:

Boarding is NOT like staying at home. The fact that it *is* a home is secondary. Once out of her familiar environment, she will act differently, especially if you're not there. We boarded our two boys many times - for day care and for vacations - and they did fine. Both of them were total velcro dogs who slept in bed at home with us.

If you and your dog sitter are worried, have her stay over for a trial period before you leave and there aren't any options. I'd suggest two nights to give her a chance to adjust, or a couple one nighters not too far apart. If she freaks out, you can go get her with no harm done. And you'll have a chance to figure out what to do.

Same for the xanax. I've never had the hyper reaction. It usually calms them down without making them sedated. If she does have an issue staying overnight, and you feel you want to try xanax, ask your vet for a trial prescription so you can give it to her when she's under your direct supervision. Xanax may or may not work, depending on the source of your dog's anxiety, and her sensitivity to the drug.

Xanax is a benzodiazepine anti-anxiety medication. It's the same drug as people use for anxiety attacks. It's very fast acting and doesn't persist in the system. It's relatively safe. Valium is another fast-acting option. Don't use an SSRI (selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor) anti-anxiety med like prozac or paxil. They both need time to build up in the body to be effective.

Benedryl - is an antihistamine with sedating properties. Use the same dosage amounts per pound of body weight as for a human.

Melatonin is a natural hormone that *can* help calm a person or dog down and get to sleep. You basically can't overdose on it, and it just depends on how she reacts to it as to how much she would need per dose. Many use it for thunder/storm anxiety at between 6-9mgs per dose.

Rescue Remedy is a homeopathic liquid that is purported to have calming capabilities. It works for some and not for others.

Good luck.

For all of these drug options, it's always best to try and have the drug in their system before the dog becomes anxious.

WOW, you know your stuff :) this is so valuable for me to know - forwarded the info to hubby as well - really does make this easier on me, so much appreciated!

FWIW, I thought my angel Zema would have a problem being boarded in a friend's home. She was just as thunderphobic there as here :lol . Otherwise, she was fine -- hung out with the other pups, found herself some good places to snooze, and barely missed me (if at all). :)

ETA: Zema was a very spooky girl who was wary of most people and didn't much like other dogs. Ha! Not so at her dogsitters'. The little minx.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest WhiteWave

We actually tried Xanax on Ronon recently. Not for SA, but for thunderphobia. It really worked. He has been a few other drugs, but the Xanax, made him calm and not dopey. He actually chewed on bone and acted normal.

If I were to leave Ronon, I probably would get him Xanax to take as I know he would freak out. I never had any luck with Benadryl or Melatonin.

However since you don't know how she will be, you may get some Xanax and ask the sitter not to give it unless she gets really upset. Also don't wash her blanket before you go. You want to leave your scent on it.

Guest Roadtripper

Hi! You've already received excellent advice, so my input is probably redundant, but thought I'd chime in anyway.

I work at a doggie daycare/boarding facility and I can tell you that the vast majority of our new dogs do just fine. As others have said, dogs live in the moment. Chances are that being in a new environment with new playmates and new things to explore will occupy her during the day, and she'll be exhausted when it's bedtime and ready to sleep. I've had to stay after hours at work sometimes to catch up on paperwork, and about 10 minutes after we shut things down in the kennels, the dogs are silent and sleeping, exhausted from playing all day (we're an open-run facility). Sometimes we'll get a nervous dog that keeps barking for awhile, but they usually stop fairly soon, especially after being with us for a night or two.

I can say that I ditto the thoughts of others questioning why the pet sitter recommended getting Xanax just based on an experience with another dog & the fact that she sleeps with you. In the 2 1/2 years I've worked at our kennel, and the gazillions of dogs we get coming through with all sorts of personalities, we've NEVER asked an owner to get a sedation prescription, let alone before we've even had their dog come stay. We have asked owners of nervous dogs that have been coming to us regularly but still have some trouble if we can try Rescue Remedy--it works for some.

If a dog exhibits nervousness during their temperament test with us (required before boarding), we usually recommend bringing them for daycare a couple of times before their boarding stay, and that's really if the dog will be staying a week or more. It is nice if a dog can get used to a new place/people before boarding, so if you have that option, it would be a good idea. But since your pup will only be boarding for 3 days, and she doesn't currently have SA, I wouldn't worry about it too much--she'll be fine.

Some other things I tell owners to help their dog adapt: Don't be nervous about bringing her to the boarding place--dogs definitely pick up on your anxiety. Think of it as her doggie-summer-camp. Ask about bringing your dog's bedding, a favorite toy, or a T-shirt with your scent--that can really help (only bring toys if the dogs are separated when they have access, so there's no problems with resource guarding!). Ask if she can be taken on a walk to help tire her out (may be an extra charge for this)--a walk in the evening would be really good to help her settle for the night. Bring her food so she doesn't have to eat strange food that may not agree with her, and include her favorite treats for meal times or at night.

I understand wanting to make sure things go well with your pup. I just adopted a grey puppy and will be taking a 2-3 week vacation in the fall--I'm already stressing a little about how to make sure she'll do okay while I'm gone. :)

Good luck and hope both you and your pup have fun on your vacations!

Amy

Guest EvanstonGrey

Hi! You've already received excellent advice, so my input is probably redundant, but thought I'd chime in anyway.

I work at a doggie daycare/boarding facility and I can tell you that the vast majority of our new dogs do just fine. As others have said, dogs live in the moment. Chances are that being in a new environment with new playmates and new things to explore will occupy her during the day, and she'll be exhausted when it's bedtime and ready to sleep. I've had to stay after hours at work sometimes to catch up on paperwork, and about 10 minutes after we shut things down in the kennels, the dogs are silent and sleeping, exhausted from playing all day (we're an open-run facility). Sometimes we'll get a nervous dog that keeps barking for awhile, but they usually stop fairly soon, especially after being with us for a night or two.

I can say that I ditto the thoughts of others questioning why the pet sitter recommended getting Xanax just based on an experience with another dog & the fact that she sleeps with you. In the 2 1/2 years I've worked at our kennel, and the gazillions of dogs we get coming through with all sorts of personalities, we've NEVER asked an owner to get a sedation prescription, let alone before we've even had their dog come stay. We have asked owners of nervous dogs that have been coming to us regularly but still have some trouble if we can try Rescue Remedy--it works for some.

If a dog exhibits nervousness during their temperament test with us (required before boarding), we usually recommend bringing them for daycare a couple of times before their boarding stay, and that's really if the dog will be staying a week or more. It is nice if a dog can get used to a new place/people before boarding, so if you have that option, it would be a good idea. But since your pup will only be boarding for 3 days, and she doesn't currently have SA, I wouldn't worry about it too much--she'll be fine.

Some other things I tell owners to help their dog adapt: Don't be nervous about bringing her to the boarding place--dogs definitely pick up on your anxiety. Think of it as her doggie-summer-camp. Ask about bringing your dog's bedding, a favorite toy, or a T-shirt with your scent--that can really help (only bring toys if the dogs are separated when they have access, so there's no problems with resource guarding!). Ask if she can be taken on a walk to help tire her out (may be an extra charge for this)--a walk in the evening would be really good to help her settle for the night. Bring her food so she doesn't have to eat strange food that may not agree with her, and include her favorite treats for meal times or at night.

I understand wanting to make sure things go well with your pup. I just adopted a grey puppy and will be taking a 2-3 week vacation in the fall--I'm already stressing a little about how to make sure she'll do okay while I'm gone. :)

Good luck and hope both you and your pup have fun on your vacations!

Amy

Thanks, Amy - it is wonderful to get your perspective since you're a pro :) You guys have helped ME with my SA - LOL!

Will be using all of your wonderful tips!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest EvanstonGrey

Just got an update from the hound sitter! Fika spent her first night away and did BEAUTIFULLY! She's pretty easygoing (having been at the track, in a kennel, then in a prison program and a foster home before we got her) and whined for only a few minutes before conking out... no need for any meds at all!

Thanks again to all great GT advisors - you guys rock :)