Gas X?

Ok, so what is safe to give to greyhounds who are ungodly gassy? The digestive enzymes helped, but now Pop is just as gassy as he was before and I'm tired of my house smelling like dog crap (and hearing the farts every 10 seconds, no joke). Last time I gave him some yogurt he get really gassy from it...so what else? And I'm serious, will Gas X or something else help this dog?

Thanks!

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Gas-X is ok to give, but we usually only give it when we hear gas "squeals" coming from the belly. It relieves trapped gas in the stomach. I don't think it will help the situation you have.

Sounds like he is getting food or treats that don't agree with him.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Gax-X is fine, and we've given up to 5 pills at times. But I agree that there's likely to be an underlying problem causing this. We make jokes about greyhounds and their SBD's, but you should probably see if changing his food helps. What is he eating?

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I can't advise you about G-X, but wanted to say that yogurt made Segugio's gas and loose poo worse, yogurt is not effective for every hound. Good luck!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Never knew Gas-X was for farting. :blush I have used it for myself for belching issues...didn't know it worked on the other end.

I have never had luck with yogurt or pumpkin for any of the woes that they are supposed to solve.

Agree that a food change should be #1 on the list.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest EvanstonGrey

i had the same experience - trying to fix the problem made it worse! it's important to remember that every grey is different :)

I can't advise you about G-X, but wanted to say that yogurt made Segugio's gas and loose poo worse, yogurt is not effective for every hound. Good luck!

Well I can't change his food, although I would LOVE too as it helps control his Lupus...

All the grain free food actually makes his Lupus flare up, the only thing that kind of controls it (along with his meds) is his food. I try not to give him anything besides his food, but I did recently give a milk bone that he used to get all the time...so maybe it was the addition of the treat. Although the gas was the day after the treat! With it being spring and warming up a bit, he's been going out into the sun some more so he is having a flare up...but once the hot days of summer roll around he'll stay inside as he can't stand the heat.

Guest Energy11

We give Gas X all the time, when the puppers have stomach issues. It works great.

In your case, it couldn't hurt. We also give a mix of pumpkin and yogurt nightly, as a snack. "Good" poops here :)

Good Luck!

Gas X breaks up gas trapped in the stomach or intestines (what gives you gas pain) -- it actually encourages the gas to come out. You could also try actual probiotic pills if he doesn't tolerate the dairy in yogurt to see if they helped. But I agree that the food is the issue. Surely there's not going to be just one magic food that controls his lupus? You wouldn't have to go grain-free to try other foods. What is he getting now and what do you believe to be the key present or absent ingredients that help him?

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Gas X breaks up gas trapped in the stomach or intestines (what gives you gas pain) -- it actually encourages the gas to come out. You could also try actual probiotic pills if he doesn't tolerate the dairy in yogurt to see if they helped. But I agree that the food is the issue. Surely there's not going to be just one magic food that controls his lupus? You wouldn't have to go grain-free to try other foods. What is he getting now and what do you believe to be the key present or absent ingredients that help him?

Honestly if I hadn't seen him improve with my own eyes on the food, I wouldn't have believed it. It's the WORST possible food out there, Dog Chow. His symptoms actually got better on it.

I'll try the probiotics or beano...cuz the boy is gassy at times, but it seems to have come on in the last couple of months and he's been on Dog Chow for a year now :puke Nothing has changed so I don't know why he's getting gassy.

It's the WORST possible food out there, Dog Chow.

Oh no, there are wayyyyy worse foods than Dog Chow...starting with Beneful, which is Dog Chow in Sunday go to meetin' clothes and a crapload of dye and a higher price tag. Then you can go down from there. Dog Chow is not the end of the world and when times were tough Bella, Buck and Poodle ate it and were just fine. Maybe you could look at another high grain food?

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg