Jimmie's Dew Claw Nail

I walked in from the front porch (dog free zone) after only a couple of minutes and saw blood on the front entryway. I tracked it down to Jimmie - his dew claw on his previously broken leg was gone! The pad is still there, but the nail appears to be gone. I never heard a cry, bark, or whine and I cannot find where he might have caught or injured it. It bled very little and he did not seem to have much discomfort. I had a dog years ago that ripped the dewclaw and pad right off and wow did it bleed! I had just trimmed JImmie's nails yesterday so I know it was there and fine as of then.

It didn't seem to be a dire emergency so I applied neosporin and a sterile pad with loosely wrapped it with some koban (??), that self sticky stretchy tape stuff. He didn't mind me dressing it and he really liked the cookies he got afterwards :)

He followed me back inside and I watched to see how he was moving and he walked to the front entryway (which I had just cleaned) and peed all over it!! He NEVER pees in the house!! I yelled at him and he went back out side to feel sorry for himself, or to laugh at me while I cleaned again.

So my questions are: what should I watch for on the dew claw as it heals? Should I keep it dressed for a couple of days? Maybe change the dressing every day so I can be sure it is healing well? Was I bad for not rushing to the vet after hours? Do you think the nail will grow back? Should I give him some Doxy that I have?

He's snoring like a baby now, never once tried to mess with the wrap so I think that will be the least of my worries.

Here are some crappy photos that I got in hopes that you can advise me on how to care for it - thanks in advance for your help.

.004.JPG006.JPG008.JPG

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Guest azlorenz

Elly broke her dew claw off running around in the yard last spring. If I recall it hardly bled at all. It has taken forever to grow back though. I would say keep an eye on it but I bet it will be just fine.

:cookie for Jimmy : )

No need to go to the vet unless it starts to look really bad. Antibiotic ointment and a light dressing is all that is required. You just need to watch for signs of infection--then you would take him in to the vet. Seamus has ripped off a dew claw twice. Both times I just watched it at home, and it healed just fine. You don't want them to lick it excessively. It will grow back slowly.

Love the picture with the cookie. What a sweet face!

S.jpg

Molly has lost three dew claws :rolleyes: I only wrap it if the claw is still partly attached to kep it from getting snagged on things (it always falls off after a day or two) Once the claw is gone, I just watch it to be sure there is no infection. Jimmie is so cute :)

When Cassie lost the outside toe nail on her back foot kept it wraped for a few days then left it alone. It's starting to grow back. I never heard her scream either just the whole nail was gone

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Seamus has ripped off a dew claw twice. Both times I just watched it at home, and it healed just fine. You don't want them to lick it excessively. It will grow back slowly.

Love the picture with the cookie. What a sweet face!

Our Seamie lost both of his dew claws! They have grown back and are nice and tiny now, much less worriesome than the big craws he had. Jimmy should be fine. The cookie you offered was the right thing :)

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Annie Bella did this 3 weeks ago. We were outside walking. She limped two steps, with no sound, and when I looked, her dew claw was hanging in half and there was a LOT of blood. I don't panic easily so when we got home I washed it, neosporined it and bandaged carefully. It was a Sunday so I called the vet the next day and took Annie Bella in to have the hanging part removed so it wouldn't catch on anything. I was surprised at the amount of blood. You would have thought it was a head wound for heaven's sake!

Guest zombrie

Minerva ripped off one of her nails while running in the yard about 2 months ago. Same as Jimmie, no cry, yelp or anything. The nail was no where to be found. It is starting to come back now. I kept hers wrapped for about a week to protect it. It was not a dew claw though.

wubsite.gifWhew! Sure is a relief to hear your stories and to know that it will probably be okay! I love the possibility of a smaller nail growing back in, that is if one HAS to regrow. Thanks so much - we all slept well last night and lo and behold - he still has the bandage on this morningheart.gif He's such a very good boy and I do want to do the best I can for him.

Think we'll both go have a cookie now!

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Guest azlorenz
I love the possibility of a smaller nail growing back in, that is if one HAS to regrow.

I hear you. Wouldn't it be nice if dew claws didn't exist.