Sophie Has Cancer :(

Guest brandi007

Guest brandi007

Picture1215.jpg

Hey All,

I know I'm not on here as often as I used to be but I wanted to let you know that my beautiful 12.5 year old greyhound Sophie has been diagnosed with Cancer. I'm not sure on the details yet (heading back this thursday when I have a calmer head) but her whole chest is filled with it and the vet believes it may of metastasized in her brain also.

She had an incident a few months ago where she lost control of her back end and we've been trying to treat her for a spine injury/hind end weakness. We were getting ready to do some acupuncture and some chiro when we decided to do an X-ray and found the cancer, he thinks the random paralysis is from it being in her brain also. She's having some issues breathing in addition to weight loss, but doesn't seem to be in pain. The vet didn't give me a time frame which I'm eternally grateful for but from what I saw I don't think she has too long.... The breathing really scares me, it's hard to decide when she's too uncomfortable. She had an awesome day hanging out with some of her dog buddies in the sun yesterday and I want as many days like that as possible but not if she's too sick.

She's just such a perfect girl and I can't even think of life without her. She's been my stone and my inspiration, if you could send thoughts for good days, both her and myself would greatly appreciate it....

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry to read this.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I'm so sorry to hear this upsetting news.

One thing I would like to mention is that my wife is a nurse, and she frequently mentions that her end-of-life patients who are DNR and refuse medications or treatments (or even food at times) nearly always change their mind if their breathing is affected. She says the fear and panic (for people) of not being able to breathe or feeling like even if you are breathing that you are suffocating is enough to immediately change the minds of those who previously stated they didn't want any medical intervention. I couldn't help but recall these conversations when you mentioned your dear girl has had issues breathing.

:(

~Amanda

Oh Brandi,

I am so sorry to read this. This is exactly how our Brandy left and she was the same age as your beautiful Sophie.

I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us, everyday, of those we love.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest pegasusridge

Cold comfort, but we've been down this road twice in the last two years. Both times we didn't find the cancers until it was too late to do anything - it was so insidious. Thankfully our boys were both comfortable until the end. It just plain sucks. I am so sorry.

Guest brandi007

Yeah...the breathing scares me. I'm judging it based on how well she sleeps, last week on Wednesday before we knew it was cancer and thought it was just a reaction to the medicine, she had a really bad night where she couldn't get comfortable or sleep. I've told myself that if we have 2 nights like that in a row I'm letting her go. It's so hard because it finally got so nice here and she's such a sun-dog. I really want even a few days of her in the back yard getting a sun-tan belly. She still seems really happy but has slipped fast. So hard :(

im really sorry to hear this. as always, though, keep in mind the incredibly wonderful life you provided for her that so many other animals never get to experience. the end always comes for these dogs sooner than we would like, and i am sure you will make the right decisions going forward.

My heart goes out to you. Your lovely, precious girl is lucky to have you watching over her. Sending many many hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry to hear this. :( Give the beautiful girl a hug and kiss from everyone on GT.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Yeah...the breathing scares me. I'm judging it based on how well she sleeps, last week on Wednesday before we knew it was cancer and thought it was just a reaction to the medicine, she had a really bad night where she couldn't get comfortable or sleep. I've told myself that if we have 2 nights like that in a row I'm letting her go. It's so hard because it finally got so nice here and she's such a sun-dog. I really want even a few days of her in the back yard getting a sun-tan belly. She still seems really happy but has slipped fast. So hard :(

You know her better than anyone...and a little discomfort is a whole lot different than panic. I hope you are able to share some warm sunny days with her soon.

~Amanda

I'm so sorry. I lost my beloved lab, Chaka, to cancer which had spread to her lungs. You'll know when it is time, you will see it in her breathing, she will let you know. Gentle hugs to all of you. :bighug

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Try giving her a pillow. Sometimes, my Sam sleeps better if he can prop his head up--but I leave the decision of prop/don't-prop up to him.

If she's not sleeping well, see if a light blanket will help. When Sam is chilly and comes out from under the covers, he wakes me up to let me know. If I keep a blanket on him (or a light coat or an old t-shirt of mine), he sleeps better...and I do, too.

(Sam has lung cancer; occasionally he has some coughing spells, but he's not coughing up anything scary and not normally having trouble breathing. He also has arthritis in his spine and a slightly herniated disk. His appetite still is excellent, and he does zoomies in the living room. He's on methocarbamol for his spine; on tramadol and gabapentin for anything/everything else that hurts. He'll be 12 next month--knock wood.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest brandi007

Thanks so much for all the thoughts, words and advice. She's always had her own pillow in my bed because she's a princess, she's always been welcome to mine also. She's now got two of her own pillows now and I also noticed that elevating her head helps (here's a video from Thursday morning when it was bad:

, please excuse the music.... ). If it gets like this again and doesn't get better I think that might be time... Wednesday/Thursday was super hard and I didn't even know it was this serious.

When we had her on the table to do the x-rays and before I knew - I was joking that all dogs are great dogs but not all dogs are good dogs. Sophie is a good dog, she's been my meet and greet dog, she's been my home visit dog, she's been my dog park greeter and just my princess since she came into my life. She's the reason I'm in greyhound adoptions and I don't know how I'm going live without her let alone continue doing what I do. Hannah's by no means able to do any of these things (even though I love her to death) - Sophie is SUCH a good dog....

Here's a happier video from the dog park just a few months ago, she's at the end doing her trick :) Such a smart lady!

(she's 1 minute in...).

Lots of good thoughts for Sam, I'm glad to hear he's doing so well with his diagnosis, hoping for tons of great time for you.