Doolin Being Overdosed With Doxycycline?

Guest zombrie

Guest zombrie

Doolin was very sick yesterday (very lethargic, limping, stiff neck, yelping, even screaming). I took him to the vet and it turns out he has Anaplasmosis. This morning he went outside and was throwing up and his stomach is obviously feeling sick.

When the vet prescribed him the Doxy, it seemed like a very high amount to me. This vet has overdosed my GSD with Doxy in the past and it made her very sick.

Doolin weighed in at 71 pounds yesterday (either the scale is off or he's lost a little weight, he's usually around 75). The vet prescribed him 3 pills of Doxy twice a day, so 6 pills of 100mg Doxy a day. Is this too high?

Thanks

NCSU's tick lab is using 5 mg/kg in their study, http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/vhc/documents/A_phago_protocol_v_6.pdf .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest BrianRke

Wow, that does seem kinda high to me. Diamond was on it for weeks for a TBD and her dosage was 100mg 2x/day. She weighed 69lbs at the time.

Edited by BrianRke

Looks like that may be the high end of the recommended dosage linky Doxy is hard on the stomach - I wouldn't give it on an empty stomach (avoid dairy as much as possible) & I'd use some tummy meds as well (pepcid 30 min before doxy). I would call the vet (or maybe find another one if there was a dosage problem previously?) & see what she says. Feel better Doolin!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Some vets do like the higher range but if it's making him that sick, it's sure worth talking to the vet about backing down. Assume he's getting a stomach protectant? {{{{{{{{{{Doolin & mom}}}}}}}}}}

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest zombrie

Thanks for the responses! I'll probably give it a little longer and see how he does today. He ate his breakfast with gusto, so that's a good sign

Guest greybookends

Sheana was treated for TBD with Doxy several years ago. She is about 64lb. and was on 600mg 3x a day for 30 days. The only side affect was a little constipation that was solved by sprinkling some Metamusil on her food.

I hope Doolin feels better soon.

My memory is not what it used to be. The dosage may have been 200 mg 3x a day for a total of 600mg a day. It was high.

Edited by greybookends

Guest zombrie

Well we are off to the vet again this morning with Mira (may need to post a new thread about toe amputation...) so hopefully the other vet will be on so I can ask him about Doolin's dosage. I'm sick of going to the vet!! My dogs are dropping like flies!

Sorry, Brie. I know how hard it is to manage medical issues in these guys. I can't comment on the Doxy but I know our pups have had Sucralfate as a GI protectant if they're taking a 'hard-on-the-stomach' drug.

And Mira...oh boy....I want to follow that and see how things go. We're still considering a toe amp for Bumper given his fracture last November. It's all healed but he walks with a limp, which is surely a sign of discomfort to me. Good luck this morning.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Brie, Jake has been on doxy a few times for recurring TBD

The first time we did 300mg twice a day for a month. He was in remission for 5 months. We followed that with 400mg twice a day for 8 weeks and he was in remission for over 2 years. With his latest flare see H his recent thread in H & M it took us a few days to figure out that was what we were dealing withbut once we started the doxy he bounced back in hours. We know we aren't going to cure him and are aiming to put him in remission only. He's on 400mg now and once he is clinically well we'll continue for one more week.

I give Pepcid an hour before his doxy, he tolerates it really well. Jake actually eats worse during the first couple of days of a flare up, I think because he feels completely **ty. Once we get treatment underway he starts eating. Make sure you get a probiotic for him as well and give that about an hour after his pills. Fortaflora is a good one, don't count on yogurt doing the job, you have to give huge amounts in order for it to work.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest zombrie

Brie, Jake has been on doxy a few times for recurring TBD

The first time we did 300mg twice a day for a month. He was in remission for 5 months. We followed that with 400mg twice a day for 8 weeks and he was in remission for over 2 years. With his latest flare see H his recent thread in H & M it took us a few days to figure out that was what we were dealing withbut once we started the doxy he bounced back in hours. We know we aren't going to cure him and are aiming to put him in remission only. He's on 400mg now and once he is clinically well we'll continue for one more week.

I give Pepcid an hour before his doxy, he tolerates it really well. Jake actually eats worse during the first couple of days of a flare up, I think because he feels completely **ty. Once we get treatment underway he starts eating. Make sure you get a probiotic for him as well and give that about an hour after his pills. Fortaflora is a good one, don't count on yogurt doing the job, you have to give huge amounts in order for it to work.

This is very helpful, thank you. When we had Mira in we talked about Doolin and the vet wasn't concerned about it. But if he continues then we'll have to figure something out. He is still letting out cries and yelping when he is doing nothing but laying down, so I'm thinking his stomach hurts. I'll get some probiotic/pepcid and see if that helps.

As for Mira, the vet wants to give her more time to see if she will heal on her own keeping it bandaged, her toe keeps on getting dislocated (doing something like going down stairs). Hopefully it will heal but I don't feel confident about that right now.

Edited by zombrie

Dislocated toe: If you look up my old thread about Zema's dislocated toe in this forum, might give you some ideas as to how to stabilize the toe in an appropriate position, so that it heals. Good luck!

Man, when it rains, it pours. I'm so sorry you're having all this trouble with the pups! Hoping they get better very soon.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest zombrie

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! That's EXACTLY what is happening to Mira, her outside back toe keeps dislocating inwards so her toe keeps going in sideways into her pads (if she were to step down, her foot would be stepping on her sideways toe, if that makes sense). I am definitely going to try that, it makes perfect sense to do that way.

Just seeing all this. Goodness Brie, you've got your hands full. Hope they are both feeling better soon!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest FullMetalFrank

My little Chelsa is on 250 mg of doxy twice per day, so 500 mg a day; standard TBD dose is 5 mg per lb of body weight twice per day I believe... It was giving her tummy problems at first and she wasn't eating well but I rearranged her med schedule and meal times and also switched her from capsules to tablets and she's doing much better and eating with gusto; it still seems like she's lost so much weight since this thing started, though...

I hope Doolin is feeling better today Bree. One thing I've discovered with Jake is that he feels generally punky for a few days when a flare up starts. So that could simply be what Doolin is feeling. I also like the idea of breaking the dose up for a dog who doesn't do well on 2 larger doses. I've been very lucky that Jake does well on the large dose he needs.

Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest zombrie

Last night and this morning he has been much better, thank goodness. He even played a little bitey face game with Minerva this morning. I think yesterday morning the Anaplasmosis was still making him sick and that is what I was seeing. Slowly but surely my boy is feeling better :) Thanks everyone!!

Very happy to see this. I had a feeling it was the Anaplasmosis and not the Doxy that was making him feel bad.

I'll also say for anyone who cares to hear - I HATE ticks!!!

Summer-3bjpg.jpg