Legs Limping/crying

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm it didn't occur to me to send the videos. When I hear back from them about the shoulder I will ask about his back end & if they will take a look. I hope they email me soon, I'm kind of going crazy waiting. From looking at the xrays I don't think it's osteo but until I hear for sure I can't get rid of the sick feeling in my stomach.

I'm sure! The waiting is horrible.

Bone chips? My old broodie girl had some bone chips in two legs (front and back, right side, along with some fusing), which gave her just the slightest limp. Maybe one just is in the wrong place and being all stickery. Maybe it will be something easy to go in and clean out, if necessary.

Keeping all fingers and toes crossed!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Continued good thoughts for Legs.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I hope all is well for Legs! Odd that it is a periodic problem and not something that escalates. I hope OSU gets back to you quickly....they do so much good but with the workload it does take awhile sometimes. Praying they don't see osteo!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

I heard back from OSU...they would like bigger xrays, so I will mail them a CD tomorrow. I'm trying not to panic. Legs is doing ok, no limp the last couple of days, but I just touched his shoulder and he cried. The vet said to keep him quiet for awhile so that's the plan for now. Thanks again everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates? Has OSU gotten back to you on the larger x-rays? How is Legs feeling?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Sending good thoughts and awaiting an update.....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

No I haven't heard back about the larger xrays :( They should have received them Wed or Thurs of last week. Legs is doing ok... If I touch his shoulder he flinches & if I squeeze it he will cry, but no discernible limp. He's starting to go a bit stir crazy with his limited activity, he woke me up at 5am throwing a toy around :rolleyes:

Thanks so much for asking! I'll definitely update when I know anything.

Guest LindsaySF

Glad you got shoulder x-rays. It's a bit frustrating that you had to insist on them since the vet didn't think he was limping enough? If he cries when you touch it, something is wrong. I'm glad you're having it checked out. It could be a pinched nerve, a torn muscle, all sorts of stuff besides osteo. The possible bone chip is worth investigating. Does he have normal range of motion in the leg? What part are you squeezing when he cries? I would limit his activity (no running, no jumping) until you resolve this. He could be making himself worse by running around, he doesn't know any better.

The video of the hind-end issues was interesting. I would definitely send that out and see if any other vets have an opinion on it. I doubt it's a disc issue, just because I would think it would happen more often. It could be muscle spasms, especially due to heat/activity. If it happens again I would be interested in his rectal temperature at the time. Some Greys overheat very easily and that might be happening here. I also wonder if anyone has done a rectal exam, or if he's been dewormed recently. The sitting down abruptly reminds me of two things: My mastiff mix when he tries to express his own anal glands, and old lady Chase when she had poop on her butt that she was trying to rub off.... Just thought I'd throw those out there. My guess though would be muscle spasms due to overheating (and/or dehydration, which can happen fast when they are panting rapidly like that in hot temps).

~Lindsay~

Thanks Lindsay, I agree that the back end stuff must be in some way related to heat, he always seems overheated when it happens.

So today I gave Legs a bath and had him out on the lanai eating a bully stick while he dried off. Since he is naked on his whole underside and butt, some sand stuck to him and I went to brush it off before bringing him back inside. Well when I went to brush off his inner thighs up near his belly he SCREAMED so loud. It really freaked me out. I don't know if he's just being dramatic or what is going on with him!

Riley would often be super dramatic about little things like cleaning his ears, but then when he had osteo he was very stoic and I didn't even know anything was wrong until it had progressed very far. So I don't know how concerned to be?? With the shoulder, it seems to be the part where most of his muscle is that seems to elicit a pain response. I'm hoping I'll hear back from OSU soon....I don't know what to think at this point but he seems to be his usual happy self otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jettcricket

I don't come to Health and Medical too often, but I have been following Leg's posts. Prayers that it's something that can be fixed. Having lost 2 to osteo and you having delat with it yourself, it's a road that no one wants to go down. Thinking positive healing thoughts to you and your handsome boy.

Thanks so much for checking in on Legs! :)

The larger X-rays I sent to OSU seem to have gotten lost in the shuffle :( I haven't resent them yet because I'm not really sure what's going on with Legs. He was doing better, then one day was crying out a bunch, then got better again. He's been on restricted activity & I've been slowly increasing his walks & he's been ok the last week or so. So right now I'm just kind of waiting to see how he is over the next couple of weeks. I will update if/when I know anything more.

Thanks again for all the support for my boy! :heart