Ticks Between The Toes

I'm sure that other areas are having the same experience, but the ticks have been horrendous in Central Virginia this spring. I've been using Frontline Plus on Luna all winter, as there was never a point where the ground actually froze for more than a day or two. The main place that I find the ticks are between her toes. Most of them are already dead, I would assume due to the Frontline, but some of them have been alive, like the little pin-head-sized tick I pulled off of her this afternoon. I am starting to have a rather macabre collection of ticks in baggies with labels stating the date and the location on her feet where they were found!

My question is, are there any products that you use that would help with the ticks between the toes (and is the Frontline Plus not reaching those areas making them more prone to live ticks...if that makes sense)? I don't really want to go the route of a tick collar, because I don't like the idea of her wearing one for months on end.

Also, do any of you spray your yard for fleas and ticks? What products have been successful for you? I cringe at the idea of pouring chemicals onto my lawn, but am also worried about what this summer will hold since the spring has already been so bad with the creepy-crawlies!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

I wish I had an answer for you other than checking between the toes every time Luna goes out. That's pretty much what I do with Annie Bella. I live in a county in New York State with the second highest incidence of Lyme Disease and I am always picking ticks off her (and me for that matter). Is there a reason you save them? I squish and flush.

I saved an email I got back in November from Dogster.com that told how to get rid of fleas in a backyard a natural way. It said:

TODAY´S TIP: GROOMING | November 14, 2011

Get Rid of Fleas in Your Yard -- the Natural Way

by Leslie May and Johann (the dog), founders of Raise A Green Dog

Fleas are pesky little bugs that can cause worms, disease, and itchiness for your dog -- and if they are in your yard, it's no fun!

You can control fleas the natural, organic way with flea nematodes. These are beneficial bugs and one of the most prolific multicellular animals on earth. Just a small bit of soil naturally contains thousands of the microscopic worms, many of them parasites of insects, plants, or animals. Flea nematodes control fleas by killing them in the larval and pupal stages in the soil.

Flea nematodes should be applied to your lawn when the soil temperature is 42 degrees or above. Just follow the instructions on the package. And the best part: They will control fleas in your yard forever!

Leslie May and Johann (the dog) are the founders of Raise a Green Dog, an online portal for all things green and healthy for your dog.

I haven't looked for flea nematodes yet but it is on my to do list for this month. Before I invest money and effort, though, I want to know if they have a natural enemy or do they proliferate to no end and is that a problem.

I know of no way to control ticks and frankly I just can't worry about them any more because of the prevalence. I use Advantix II on Annie Bella, pluck them off each of us when I see them and get blood work done a couple of times a year to check for the Lyme titer.

Guest snakes

you could try J&J lavender baby powder or make a spritz of water that has been boiled with lemon rind and add a few drops of lavendar oil once cooled. It doesn't work 100% but it helps.

Why are you saving them?

The only thing that REALLY works is a Preventic collar. I think K-9 Advantix is also pretty good at repelling ticks. It's the only topical that does.

You can find tons of info. on tips for cleaning up your yard and making it less attractive to ticks, but it's really an uphill battle.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Interesting, I had never heard of flea nematodes before. I wonder if it really works. Research time!

Around here, we're told to hold onto the ticks that are found imbedded in our pets because there are so many species, and it makes it easier to anchor things down should the pet get sick.

I wish I had an answer for you other than checking between the toes every time Luna goes out. That's pretty much what I do with Annie Bella. I live in a county in New York State with the second highest incidence of Lyme Disease and I am always picking ticks off her (and me for that matter). Is there a reason you save them? I squish and flush.

I saved an email I got back in November from Dogster.com that told how to get rid of fleas in a backyard a natural way. It said:

TODAY´S TIP: GROOMING | November 14, 2011

Get Rid of Fleas in Your Yard -- the Natural Way

by Leslie May and Johann (the dog), founders of Raise A Green Dog

Fleas are pesky little bugs that can cause worms, disease, and itchiness for your dog -- and if they are in your yard, it's no fun!

You can control fleas the natural, organic way with flea nematodes. These are beneficial bugs and one of the most prolific multicellular animals on earth. Just a small bit of soil naturally contains thousands of the microscopic worms, many of them parasites of insects, plants, or animals. Flea nematodes control fleas by killing them in the larval and pupal stages in the soil.

Flea nematodes should be applied to your lawn when the soil temperature is 42 degrees or above. Just follow the instructions on the package. And the best part: They will control fleas in your yard forever!

Leslie May and Johann (the dog) are the founders of Raise a Green Dog, an online portal for all things green and healthy for your dog.

I haven't looked for flea nematodes yet but it is on my to do list for this month. Before I invest money and effort, though, I want to know if they have a natural enemy or do they proliferate to no end and is that a problem.

I know of no way to control ticks and frankly I just can't worry about them any more because of the prevalence. I use Advantix II on Annie Bella, pluck them off each of us when I see them and get blood work done a couple of times a year to check for the Lyme titer.

I've only seen one tick on any of my dogs ever and that was early last month (I don't think Carl picked it up at home, but on a hike to the falls while in Solvang). My vet suggested using, as a natural solution, a product by California Baby. It is a spray that you put on daily, or more as needed. I bought it at Target. It smells great.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I've only seen one tick on any of my dogs ever and that was early last month (I don't think Carl picked it up at home, but on a hike to the falls while in Solvang). My vet suggested using, as a natural solution, a product by California Baby. It is a spray that you put on daily, or more as needed. I bought it at Target. It smells great.

Good to know, thanks! I'll definitely have to check it out!

Guest gomiesmom

I have not had a real issue w/ ticks this year, but yes, I have had them between my hounds toes.

I am in C- VA- Lynchburg. I have had two tiny ticks in the house, which probably came in WITH the hounds, but none on the hounds so far.

I use Frontline Plus. So far, no issues, this year ( SO FAR--- ) I may be on here before it's over.

I have never used a collar, but my vet was going to get a good one in, if I was interested. I wasn't though. It was prob. the ones mentioned here.

In the past, we have sprayed the yard. I have held my breath each time, but nothing happened - no reactions. I beleive we used the Bayer yard spray - supposedly safe for kids ( have none) and pets.

Again, no reactions from my hounds, but each hound can be different, from what I have come to learn.

We (try) to keep our grass low, which I beleive, cuts down on our ticks.

I have not had a real issue w/ ticks this year, but yes, I have had them between my hounds toes.

I am in C- VA- Lynchburg. I have had two tiny ticks in the house, which probably came in WITH the hounds, but none on the hounds so far.

I use Frontline Plus. So far, no issues, this year ( SO FAR--- ) I may be on here before it's over.

I have never used a collar, but my vet was going to get a good one in, if I was interested. I wasn't though. It was prob. the ones mentioned here.

In the past, we have sprayed the yard. I have held my breath each time, but nothing happened - no reactions. I beleive we used the Bayer yard spray - supposedly safe for kids ( have none) and pets.

Again, no reactions from my hounds, but each hound can be different, from what I have come to learn.

We (try) to keep our grass low, which I beleive, cuts down on our ticks.

It's nice to hear from a semi-neighbor! I'm in Farmville.

I think I'll take a look and see what I can find the next time I'm out running errands. Thanks for the tip!

It takes time for the frontline to kill the ticks so just because you are finding live ones on her doesn't mean it's not working, especially if some are dead. If you are finding them engorged then that's another story, but if they're still flat, then they're new and the frontline likely hasn't had time to work.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."