If You Don't Want Stitches,

o_rooly

Lucky Aston got a spike wound while running with my fiance's parents' dog in their backyard. I noticed it a few hours later while he was lying down, VERY little blood at all, just immediately around the wound, which looked like a slit when Aston's toes were collected. My eyeballs near fell out when Aston spread his toes and I saw this gaping hole in his webbing, could peer in and see sheathed bones :eek and he was so nonchalant about it, too!

Looked up what to do on GT; flushed the wound, applied copious Neosporin and secured a sock over Aston's foot. Checked it the next night, it was half-sealed and had normal flesh coloring -- flushed again and reapplied Neo. Checked in the morning and it was looking red. Took Aston to the vet and the vet made an ATTEMPT at stitching him up -- turns out if you don't want stitches, just make repeated attempts to roundhouse kick the vet in the face, despite the vet tech's wrangling :rolleyes: works like a charm! So, now Aston has been medically-glued instead, bandaged and has antibiotics to take...

but first, a nap.

DSC_0703.jpg

Edited by o_rooly

He's look quite proud of himself...plus he so adorable.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Good boy, Ashton! You didn't need no stinkin' stitches! Naps cure eevveerryyyyyyyyyyyyyything! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

They are too stoic sometimes. Cody ripped open his inner rear thigh once and the vet trimmed the jagged skin and put seven staples in and when I asked when the numbing meds would wear off, he said, he didn't numb it. I almost fainted and told him I'd like to do the same thing to him, never let him touch Cody again. Cody had never moved the entire time, but really, that must have hurt like he**. Wish he had kicked that vet in the face.

Your guy is so handsome but needs to learn how to get comfy and nap.:)

An e-vet glued Shane's webbing a couple years ago but it didn't hold. Regular vet had to stitch him the next day. Hope you have better luck!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

They are too stoic sometimes. Cody ripped open his inner rear thigh once and the vet trimmed the jagged skin and put seven staples in and when I asked when the numbing meds would wear off, he said, he didn't numb it. I almost fainted and told him I'd like to do the same thing to him, never let him touch Cody again. Cody had never moved the entire time, but really, that must have hurt like he**. Wish he had kicked that vet in the face.

Come to think of it, they didn't charge me for use of any numbing agent... :eek either those come free, or Aston was WAY in the right to kick him in the face!!! :angry:

So sorry about your boy. Is it o.k. to use Neosporin?

I think so? I have used neo on Aston's owies previously (as advised by various GTers over time) without a problem, but I am careful to cover the wound right after in case Aston feels like eating the ointment. I haven't ever seen him go for it when I do leave wounds open, but my friend who's had dogs all her life says that most of them love to eat Neosporin :dunno

So sorry about the owie. But boy is he cute. Just love him napping on the couch lovingly covered up with a blankie. Do you think non-grey folks would understand the sheer necessity of a couch and blankie?

Judging by the slack-jawed expressions that greet me when I tell my friends that couldn't ever board Aston conventionally because he would be without his couch and blankie, I'm guessing non-grey people think it's a more optional thing :lol

An e-vet glued Shane's webbing a couple years ago but it didn't hold. Regular vet had to stitch him the next day. Hope you have better luck!

Me too. His foot is still bandaged up completely... supposed to stay that way until Monday, but I'm itching to take the bandage off to let Aston stretch his toes. :evil that would probably pop the glue either way... :ph34r

:wife Oh my gosh what a jerk! :angryfire

For a relatively small wound and a calm dog, it can actually be easier to just do staples without numbing the area. Staples are very fast and just cause a quick pinch - no more painful than the injections needed to do a local numbing agent. However, I would not trim any skin (unless it was dead tissue) or do sutures without at least a local block or some sedation. Pulling the suture needle through skin is a lot more painful than the quick pinch from staples.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg