Does Not Drink Outside

Guest lovemyblackgrey

Guest lovemyblackgrey

hi All,

I just put two and two together and realized that my grey hardly drinks when she is outside. As we both work during the daytime we leave our grey outside in an undercover area/ big kennel (have done so since we got her). We are in Australia and it is summer over here and it does get bloody hot at times ^_^

I noticed that she did not drink much from the big plastic bowl we always put out for her in her kennel. I figured she might be fussy about the plastic so also put out her aluminium bowl which she always drinks from when inside. Today I got home, let her in the house and she ran straight to the spot where her inside drinking bowl sits normally and started looking for it [the same bowl that has been sitting in her kennel all day :rolleyes: ] I then took it inside, put it down and she drank the whole lot with the same water in one go...what's up with that?! I am a bit worried that she might get dehydrated during the day.. anyone else had this with their dog?

p.s, in terms of the heat, it wouldn't make a difference between leaving her inside the house or outside - it gets equally hot and we've had some problems with her weeing on the carpet inside so would prefer to leave her out

just wondering if there is anything that could/would help with her drinking outside?

Water outside is probably not cold.

I thought everyone in Australia had air conditioning?

Rather than leave her outside because of piddling, have you worked on housebreaking, and/or had her urine checked at the vet?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

You can add a bit of chicken broth or tuna water to her water and see if it entices her.

Also, maybe move the bowl or bucket to another location in the pen. Who knows, maybe she "thought" she saw something near the bowl that she didn't like. You know, like of of those "greyhound killer attack shadows!" ;):lol :lol Danger is our spook and he has some "killer shadow" issues, among all his other issues. Anyway, we came back from a vacation and for the life of me, I could not get him to come in the garage after a potty romp. We would have to go outside and herd him in the door and he ran through it like a scalded chicken. After a lot of frustration on our part, I realized that our petsitter had moved a plastic chair so she could sit while the dogs were outside. He was freaked out about it. Weird dog. :beatheart I guess my point is we never know what little thing may "bother" them. :)

I am not a "leave our dogs outside" person, but I know that Danger would stay outside if given the chance. I have to drag him inside now after 10 minutes in the yard. And Disco would stay out also. But Dicso would be too lazy to get up and drink. :rofl :rofl :rofl

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

When we thought Kasey was dehydrated, the easiest way to make sure he got A LITTLE water in his system was to wet his food. Usually he lapped up the water contentedly at meal time. Would be better than nothing I guess. I have found that adding "flavour" to water - via stock, etc - makes no difference to entice him to drink....it would have to be ONLY stock, etc for him to drink.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

If it's too warm, maybe ice cubes would help keep it cold longer along with finding another location.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I would worry about the chicken broth being too salty...Just a thought.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

I'd be concerned about any broth going bad, being out in the heat and all.

Is leaving a greyhound outside in a kennel all day the norm in Australia? I would think that summer in Australia would be way too hot for a grey to be kept like that.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Don't worry about it!

We have a home kennel with in/out runs. It has A/C, but we don't turn it on until it gets REALLY hot... the kennel is shaded, we leave fans on and it never gets really hot in there, even on the worst days. And, the dogs can go outside, under shade, whenever they want.

Our dogs almost NEVER drink during the day. They all have free access to fresh water in SS buckets, inside. None of them drink much. When we bring them in the house after work, they all run to the water bowl. They also drink a fair bit in the mornings, before we take them out to the kennel.

If they need it, they will drink.

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

You could also try a bucket instead of a bowl.

I actually fostered a girl here recently that wouldn't drink inside. Only outside out of a bucket, nothing else would do. Strange I know.

But I also agree with Pam, if she is thirsty she will drink.

Is leaving a greyhound outside in a kennel all day the norm in Australia? I would think that summer in Australia would be way too hot for a grey to be kept like that.

It depends.... ours struggle even going for walks in the heat. Over about 25 degrees C then our walks are severely truncated and we try to stay indoors. We couldn't leave ours outside because of this. Having said that, I believe that some kennels are outside or have outside runs and as long as there is adequate shelter, it might be OK. We prefer to keep our two inside, and also block off the main bedroom where they like to sleep on the hottest days because it's upstairs and the top of the house is like an oven. We also leave the ceiling fan on all the time and make sure they have access to water kept in the coolest parts of the house.

Guest lovemyblackgrey

thanks all for the tips and suggestions! We do add water to her meals (predominantly as this slows the 'hoovering' down :P -as some of you mentioned, it might just be what one of those typical greyhound things.. :blush

as for leaving her outside in summer I believe it is the best option for all of us; she doesn't pee inside, has her own outside area to lounge,play and dig [ which she is very good at :rolleyes: ] and she gets a bit of afternoon breeze blowing down from the river!

I am looking forward to autumn though... will be nice to go back to a decent 20 degrees celsius B) cheers

Guest greytgrandma

just a thought,a larger bowl/bucket of water in the shade will stay cool longer than a smaller bowl of water.

Is there a place in the pen you could hang a fan? We have a fan hanging in the barn for the horses in the summer. I would be so worried about the heat with a greyhound.But here our hound lives in the house and has A/C for summer :colgate

ps; we need some photos of your houndie :digicam

Edited by greytgrandma