Interceptor

If I understand the situation correctly, it's made by Novartis, which is having troubles with its manufacturing plant. Mix ups in what goes in what bottle, essentially. So they have the plant shut down while they do fixes.

Here's their latest news release on the situation:

My link

Edited by philospher77

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

What's the word on Interceptor? Are they really not making it anymore?

1800pedmeds.com still lists it as available as does drsfostersmith.com, petsuppliesnet.com, and bestvaluepetsupplies.com, but kvsupply.com shows it as "On manufacturer back order. Please discuss using a replacement with your veterinarian," petcarerx.com shows "Novartis has stopped producing and/or shipping the above medications - Interceptor, Sentinel, Program, Deramaxx and Clomicalm - for an indefinite period of time. This affects veterinarians and pharmacies everywhere. Please rest assured we will do everything we can to offer these medications as soon as they become available," and petmedsnmore.com shows "Interceptor is on Manufacturer Backorder."

Some of these sites might have some stock available but will be unable to get more if it is no longer being manufactured, though.

Got the above info from doing a few searches on the internet just now.

I went through those sites last week, no one had it. When you do a Google search it shows they have them, but when you go to their site, they don't have any, sometimes you have to go to the doing cart to find out.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

What are folks switching to?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I just called my vet--she's recommending VCA's generic, which is ivermectin/pyrantel pamoate/praziquantel Does anyone know if that's greyhound safe--I only recognize the ivermectin part? I'll look around myself, but thought I'd ask.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

My vet recommended Heartguard. It's not safe for collies--they don't tolerate ivermectin--but he said it would be fine on my greyhounds.

But curses on Novartis and their sloppy manufacturing facility... My boy's been on Interceptor for more than nine years, and I hate changing him to something else.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I ordered two boxes yesterday from Drs. Foster and Smith, no problem and reasonably priced. The source my vet usually uses, however, would only sell by the pill; and it was $12 a pill!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Is there any generic for interceptor? Patrick's been on inteceptor since I adopted him 10.5 years ago, I really don't want to switch him unless I have to.

Guest Eyeblaura

I also ordered from drs foster and smith this week. My vet doesn't have any but they were supposed to have some on the way and should have received it already. They had a wait list 2 pages long so I decided to order online in case they got in a small shipment and ran out.

Just spoke with our Novartis rep today. They estimate that it will probably be around May-July before production resumes. And there will be a lag as they catch up on backorders before new orders will be shipped. If your vet is out, they will get it back in sooner if they go ahead and place an order now, if they haven't already.

Is there any generic for interceptor?

Unfortunately, there is no generic for Interceptor. The only other products which have the same active ingredient (milbemycin) are Sentinel, which is also on backorder, and Trifexis, which is essentially Interceptor and Comfortis (flea med) combined into one pill.

My vet recommended Heartguard. It's not safe for collies--they don't tolerate ivermectin--but he said it would be fine on my greyhounds.

Heartgard is safe for collies. Their sensitivity to ivermectin is dose-dependent, and the low dose in Heartgard is not a problem. You'd have to give a sensitive collie about 10 times the dose of ivermectin in Heartgard to even start to cause any problems.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest KennelMom

Our greyhounds are on liquid ivermectin, but we just put our mini-schnauzer on trifexis...pricey but worth it to have hw and comfortis in a one dose pill.

I switched to Heartguard, which is what our group has been using for years.. and vet recommends

We need to act responsibly toward the plants and animals with whom we share the world, who have no voice, but whose presence make our world a blessed place.

"We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words." Anna Sewell "Black Beauty" 1877

Bobbi, Rick, Reddy, Jenny, and Kat ...Bethel, CT.

Falcon, Romeo, Addie, Shiloh, Frosty, Stormy and Sunshine waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Greyhound Rescue and Rehabilitation..Cross River, NY

Guest goofydog

Just spoke with our Novartis rep today. They estimate that it will probably be around May-July before production resumes. And there will be a lag as they catch up on backorders before new orders will be shipped. If your vet is out, they will get it back in sooner if they go ahead and place an order now, if they haven't already.

Is there any generic for interceptor?

Unfortunately, there is no generic for Interceptor. The only other products which have the same active ingredient (milbemycin) are Sentinel, which is also on backorder, and Trifexis, which is essentially Interceptor and Comfortis (flea med) combined into one pill.

Heartgard is safe for collies. Their sensitivity to ivermectin is dose-dependent, and the low dose in Heartgard is not a problem. You'd have to give a sensitive collie about 10 times the dose of ivermectin in Heartgard to even start to cause any problems.

Is Trifexis safe for greys?

Is Trifexis safe for greys?

Yes, I've used both Comfortis and Trifexis on a number of greys, and they are no more sensitive to these meds than any other dog. The occasional dog can vomit after the dose, but I've found this to be pretty rare. I've run across a few individual dogs (1 grey, and a couple non-greys) where it caused lethargy and GI upset (resolved after a couple days with no treatment needed), and I've just recommended switching back to a different product for these cases.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest verthib

Interceptor is continuing to be made. They are shipping stock from another plant and are looking at a new plant to replace the one that closed. My vet still has a stockpile of it so I'm continuing to use it.

Guest arlosmom

We had switched to Trifexis for the last half year for all ours except Arlo who seems to pick up ticks where the others do not. However, I don't think it was working that well on the other three for the fleas. I had just switched back to interceptor and advantix last month and now this. My dogs had no problem with the Trifexis but I don't think it worked that well. There seemed to be a lot more scratching going on.

I'm confused. I thought things like Frontline and Advantax were for fleas and ticks, and interceptor and heartguard were for worms?