Glider Stole Our Couch.

Guest ashphobiax

Guest ashphobiax

glider is allowed to lay on the sofa, but now its becoming a problem we think he believes he OWNS the couch :blink: he gets upset and paces when there is no room for him and when he does find a spot he will climb up and sit on anything and everyone and when its myself, my boyfriend and glider on the couch it does not make it comfortable.

also, when we touch by accident or on purpose he barks, growls or has even snapped at us and when we try to get him off he wont have it unless we walk out of the room and he gets down on his own.

how do we make it so he doesnt believe he owns it. we do have a dog bed for him within 4ft of the couch as well as another couch which he is able to lay on.

It's not unusual for greys to hog the furniture, but if he's barking, growling and snapping at you, he doesn't belong on the couch. Also - if he won't respond to "off," he doesn't belong on the couch.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

No couch privileges until he learns his manners. He must get off whenever you say so, with no bad behaviors. What does he do when you practice getting up and down, with a leash on and even perhaps his muzzle if he's snapping?

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest ashphobiax

He only snaps when you stick your hand under him or pet him when he doesn't want to be pet but it's only when he's on the couch. But we have a love seat two dog beds and our whole apartment is carpeted so its not like he doesn't have a space or reason not to lay on the floor. Right now as I type this there is a two foot gap between me and my boyfriend and he's trying to get up. I pushed him down and he went and laid on his bed.

No couch privileges until he learns his manners. He must get off whenever you say so, with no bad behaviors. What does he do when you practice getting up and down, with a leash on and even perhaps his muzzle if he's snapping?

:nod Carl got snappy on the couch and on my bed, he learned very quickly that I owned both of them and he was thrown off immediately when he would get snappy or growly. He learned that lesson very quickly and that behavior met a quick end.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Cookie was allowed on the couch until she started getting lippy with us-- then it was off the couch and she hasn't been on it since. She has a nice, comfortable bed nearby.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

He only snaps when you stick your hand under him or pet him when he doesn't want to be pet but it's only when he's on the couch. But we have a love seat two dog beds and our whole apartment is carpeted so its not like he doesn't have a space or reason not to lay on the floor. Right now as I type this there is a two foot gap between me and my boyfriend and he's trying to get up. I pushed him down and he went and laid on his bed.

He needs to learn that the couch is not his and that snapping is not tolerated. Don't put up with it for one moment more. He will learn. And he'll learn pretty quick. I have no problem with dogs on my furniture and, in fact, I love it -- especially sleeping with a dog. BUT no bad behaviors are allowed. Furniture is a privilege.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

All of the above. But you have to be consistent. The couch is either ok or it's not. It's not ok this time and not ok the next, or Glider is going to be very confused.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest verthib

He needs to learn the couch is not his but that can be a good thing. I'm not sure I would just push him since he's been growling and snapping. You'll have to do some training and use LOTS of praise and some treats. Let him know being on his own bed or the love seat is a good thing. You could even leave a few treats ON his bed and the love seat so he starts associating that as good places to lie. We had to do that with Gracie and our bed. She is a bed hog!!!

Sounds like he may have gotten couch privileges a bit too early. Temporary suspension of couch privileges sounds like the best idea right now. Make sure he has an uber comfy bed & I'd bet he already does. If he likes treats then I would reward him for being on his bed by occasionally tossing him a treat. If he gets on the couch use a leash to get him off. Direct him to his bed & reward him for getting on it. If he isn't crated when you are not there then you may need to baracade the couch to prevent him for getting on it. We used to use the dining room chairs, setting them on their sides on the couch cushions to prevent the dog from getting on there.

Later, when he is consistently using his bed without pacing, whining or attempting to get on the couch, you can work on teaching him commands like "On" & "Off" to train him to get on & most importantly off of the couch when you ask. At that point you may want to only allow him on the couch with your permission. Couches are a privilege not a right so he would do well to learn that.

Sometime down the road if all has gone well with the base training then you may be able to give him free access to the couch. For some dogs that may be in a month but for many it would be several months. Some may need many months & a few should never have couch privileges. My bet is Glider will grasp the point relatively quickly & will only need a few months. However, it is better to err on the side of caution.

I know it is disturbing for this behavior to start but is it usually fairly easy to correct with consistency & patience. Good luck.

Guest BrianRke

embarrased to say...I had this problem so I bought a bigger couch.

sofa.jpg

But seriously, I agree with everyone else. I had this problem with Frank and was not allowed on the couch for a while.

I would also add to use NILF training to prevent future problems, not just with the couch.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest ashphobiax

now what about when we are not home or when we are not on the couch?

should i still get him off or is he allowed to be on it!?

and BrianRke, im in a tiny apartment! cant do that one! :P

Guest jbbuzby

Nope, no couch, even if you aren't on it if the dog is being snarky. If he gets on it, tell him to get off, even if you aren't using it. This reinforces the idea that it is YOUR couch, and he must only be invited on it and it is a privilege, not a right. You can't very well stop him when you aren't home, but when you get home and see him on it, tell him off. Soon enough, he will learn so when he sees you coming, he will get off. If necessary, use the squirt bottle if you're afraid to approach him in fear of a snap. You must be seen as the one who controls the couch. When he learns his manners, permission won't have to be asked so much, but the second a snap or growl occurs, off he goes for another few weeks.

Summit is the sweetest, most laid back hound in existence I think. I can spoon with him, sleep with my head on top of his, sit on his bed with him, sleep with him at night. But he did one time last winter not want to get off the bed to go for his last walk. When I tried to make him he growled at me. He lost his bed privileges for a couple of weeks and we haven't had an incidence since.

I would NOT tolerate a dog growling at me. Everything in the house belongs to me and my BF and is just "on loan" to Summit on a behaviour dependent basis.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

We used to "blockade" the couch- we'd put a box or something on it. Not to say the dog couldn't get around this- but it worked most of the time with Cookie. Now we just have big pillows on the new couches- and I haven't caught her on them at all.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

He's stressed but you will get through it. Keep a close, close eye on him. You really might have to confine him for a while. He just needs to learn some boundaries & how to share. It's all part of learning to live well with humans in confined quarters. Many dogs, regardless of breed, have this problem & can later go on to be snuggle buddies. It feels nearly impossible while you are going through it but please persevere. You will make it through.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Just so you understand one thing, greyhounds growl for different reasons. For some that make the comment they would never tolerate a greyhound growling at them, that just sets the stage for a bite. Why do I say this, because growling is an acceptable form of communication in the dog world, and should you take away their ability to communicate you take away one piece of the safety net. If your greyhound is growling, as in your situation, out of possessiveness, then there needs to be appropriate action taken to correct the behavior. Should your greyhound growl at you when he is uncomfortable with something you are doing (out of fear), you dont need to correct HIS behavior, you need to correct YOUR behavior. Understanding "WHY" he growls is of upmost importance in his smooth transition into pet life.

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover