Allergies

My four year old beautiful, shiney black boy is allergic to something. He rubs his eyes and has rubbed off most of the fine fur surrounding them. And he scratches his neck and chin until he opens the skin. In all other respects he is a healthy, happy dog. No dry skin; no fleas; no food or digestive issues.

Has anyone else had to cope with this kind of problem? And what works?

My Kasey has allergies that affects his head primarily. For starters you have to find out what he's allergic to and remove that from his surroundings or diet.

Blood testing and skin testing are the common tests for allergies.

Link To Recent Info in Another Post.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest MorganKonaAlex

generic benedryl. 1mg per pound 2 times a day. Can increase to 3 times a day when they act up. Costco carries a generic benedryl for under a penny a pill.

Essential Oils : Melaleuca, lavender, peppermint, pachouli are just a few that will help eliminate allergies --

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Razzy is having the same issue. Extremely itchy eyes, neck, plus a few other spots. Her skin is not dry, and she's been doing well on her food for several months. I don't know what to do for my poor itchy girl :(

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

My four year old beautiful, shiney black boy is allergic to something. He rubs his eyes and has rubbed off most of the fine fur surrounding them. And he scratches his neck and chin until he opens the skin. In all other respects he is a healthy, happy dog. No dry skin; no fleas; no food or digestive issues.

Please talk to your vet or to a veterinary dermatologist. Your boy may need a skin scraping. Hair loss around the eyes is a frequent symptom of Demodex. His problem might not be that--it might be straightforward allergies--but I think you need a skin scraping to be sure.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Please talk to your vet or to a veterinary dermatologist. Your boy may need a skin scraping. Hair loss around the eyes is a frequent symptom of Demodex. His problem might not be that--it might be straightforward allergies--but I think you need a skin scraping to be sure.

I agree, if it is around the eyes you want to get to the vet and they may culture or do skin scrapings.

Most often itchy face=food allergies. You might want to try a novel protein carb diet (ie venison and potato). This is not to say its it can't be environmental allergies. My boy has allergies too- to what I do not know but, they are well controlled by bathing every 7-10 days using a medicated shampoo like ketachlor and using resicort lotion. He also takes a daily antihistamine -- we did not have much success with Benadryl -- chlorttimeton helped some but, we having having better results using daily claritin.

Your hound would most likely benefit from an exam from a Derm dr. Skin diseases are so vast-- allergies, secondary bacterial infections, mange, fungal infections.......

Edited by tbhounds

Most often itchy face=food allergies. You might want to try a novel protein carb diet (ie venison and potato). This is not to say its it can't be environmental allergies. My boy has allergies too- to what I do not know but, they are well controlled by bathing every 7-10 days using a medicated shampoo like ketachlor and using resicort lotion. He also takes a daily antihistamine -- we did not have much success with Benadryl -- chlorttimeton helped some but, we having having better results using daily claritin.

Your hound would most likely benefit from an exam from a Derm dr. Skin diseases are so vast-- allergies, secondary bacterial infections, mange, fungal infections.......

I've always been interested in why a novel protein is suggested and not just a protein different than what they are currently eating. What is the reasoning with this. Say for instance they were fed beef and pasta at the track then are switched to lamb and rice upon adoption and problems start occurring. What would be the reason for going to a novel protein and not returning to beef and pasta?

If you knew precisely what they were fed and that they were not having the same problem then, you could try returning to that diet. But food allergies -- and other allergies -- can develop over time. Thus a novel protein (and a novel carb, if you're feeding that too) is usually recommended for the food trial.

If you're doing a food trial, you should also stop all supplements, nutraceuticals, etc. (other than heartworm and flea/tick meds) and make sure your treats contain only the protein/carb included in your food trial.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Isn't Demodex contagious? My other two dogs aren't sharing any of the symptoms.

Demodectic mange usually isn't contagious. The other kind, sarcoptic, usually is.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Batmom thank you for the explanation and reasoning regarding using novel proteins.

If I remember correctly Demodex mange results from an immunity problem. The little critters that cause the mange are present on all dogs. Normally the dog's immune system would keep them in check, but sometimes there is a problem and they get out of hand and cause problems

I would be careful with essential oils around the face. They can be irritating if used in sensitive areas.

ABSOLUTELY TRUE!! NO OILS NEAR THE FACE --- very good point!

I apply all oils on Lazers chest and tummy area,, also AWAY from his Manly-hood! :blush

morning and evening applications

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14