Hydrocortisone

Razzy has been extremely itchy lately on very specific parts of her body. Most are spots she can lick, but there is a big red spot on her neck that she only gets with her toes; I'm wondering if I could put a little hydrocortisone on it while we figure out the root of the issue?

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Guest verthib

Razzy has been extremely itchy lately on very specific parts of her body. Most are spots she can lick, but there is a big red spot on her neck that she only gets with her toes; I'm wondering if I could put a little hydrocortisone on it while we figure out the root of the issue?

Yup. We do that on both hounds.

we are experiencing this also!

Tessa and storm are just itching and licking themselves terribly.

we give fish oil, I give them benedryl

I have checked for fleas

they have stuff on.

BUT...my theroy is that they are becoming allergic to the chemicals in the flea meds. plus the dry weather

I have talked this over with our vet, and she agrees that it could be all the chemicals we have used on them.

but, as i say that, you must understand that in the last 3 years, we have had a horrible time with ticks and fleas

Frontline does not work anymore, and when I tried other products, and all the sprays and bombs and professional people in to spray, started a reaction with ALL my animals.

we are running out of things to use.

my poor cats are just scratch happy.

In loving Memory of: 

Chip, Wendell, Tessa, Moose, Moody, Noble Storm, Thunder, Gracie, Duke

BUT...my theroy is that they are becoming allergic to the chemicals in the flea meds. plus the dry weather

I have talked this over with our vet, and she agrees that it could be all the chemicals we have used on them.

Actually, I know a dog who had both flea allergies & became allergic to the flea treatment. However, it was an ingredients in products like Hartz & certain other shampoos, sprays, spot on. Plain old Advantage was fine for her. 'Course plain old Advantage is no longer available that I can find. :( That dog in long gone but I've remembered the lesson that often fewer ingredients can be better.

Actually, I know a dog who had both flea allergies & became allergic to the flea treatment. However, it was an ingredients in products like Hartz & certain other shampoos, sprays, spot on. Plain old Advantage was fine for her. 'Course plain old Advantage is no longer available that I can find. :( That dog in long gone but I've remembered the lesson that often fewer ingredients can be better.

The products we have used.

Frontline

advantage

advantix

bio spot

bio spray'

frontline spray

adams

fripoguard

ectoguard

sentry

and SSS

triforce

these were used over a period of three years or so. not like all together. we actually took a break for three months or so just to give all the animals relief. but the fleas were horrible.

I have two dogs sensitve to most of these products

I have 3 cats completely allergic to the fleas and all these products

I have two dogs that get very ill from sentry and triforce

we have used program also, but its not helping the population of fleas

we have to be careful of the chemicals used in the house now because of the cats

so. we are at a no win situation

In loving Memory of: 

Chip, Wendell, Tessa, Moose, Moody, Noble Storm, Thunder, Gracie, Duke

Have you considered using food grade diatomaceous earth. It is an inexpensive, effective and safe way of eliminating pests including fleas and ticks. Care just needs to be taken to not get the dust in the eyes or inhale it. It is safe to ingest though to the point that it can be fed to puppies and kittens as a non chemical wormer.