Muscle Inflammation - Pain Relief

Guest k85trb

So Diesel's been diagnosed with muscle inflammation in his left front leg. We are currently using acetaminophen 325 mg three times daily and tramadol 50 to 150 mg three times daily to control the pain. But, it's not really working that well, last night he paced and cried the whole night :( . The problem is, he can not use medication best suited to control this type of pain and inflammation because NSAIDs increase risk of bleeding. Not the best situation for a clumsy hemophiliac.

Anyone have success with alternative therapies for pain like massage?

Tina

Has he had x-rays?

I wouldn't use acetaminophen. I understand the need to avoid blood-thinning medications, but acetaminophen is a pain reliever only -- it has little or no anti-inflammatory effect.

Tramadol can produce restless behavior - panting, pacing, crying - in some dogs. It might be worth asking your vet about alternative medications.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Neither of those drugs does anything for inflammation.

If you haven't had x-rays yet, please get them.

My dog would be a whacko on that much Tramadol (which he occasionally takes for pain).

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Traumeel or Arnica

I also use both and they are excellent. You might also check on Duralactin. I have been surprised tio find out on my dogs it has been a potent and effective anti-inflammatory. Might also investigate DGP pills. I've had good results with them too. For a first strike I'd go with the traumeel, arnica & especially Duralactin and Springtime's Advance Joint Chewables(contains bosweillia). I'd be willing to bet that you'll see significant improvement. PS-Just a heads up, if using the Advanced Joint tabs don't ever give prednisone concurrently as they contain MSM as well which is contraindicated with pred.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Can he take Methocarbamol (Robaxin)

In the kennels it's one of the drugs prescribed for dogs who get muscle cramps, run their backs off or many other muscle related issues.

I don't believe it's an NSAID and as far as the side effects of panting or pacing I've never noticed that in dogs that have been dosed with it.

Yes, he had both of his front legs x -rayed. Sorry, I skipped the diagnosis part. I took him to the vet last Thursday because he yelped when I touched his face. I thought at the time he had an ear or dental infection. Diesel rarely expresses that he's in pain. Dr. Roberts checked him all over and thought he found swollen lymph nodes. He suggested the acetaminophen. Friday morning I called the vet back because Diesel had woken up twice through the night in pain, I gave him a tramadol that I had left over from when he cut his toe, Dr Roberts gave me a prescription for more tramadol. By Saturday Diesel was experiencing episodes of acute pain associated with limping, Sunday he seemed fine, only to have the pain return on Monday. Tuesday was another trip to the vet this time we saw Dr. DeBeau. He checked Diesel all over and did the x-rays. He found that Diesel was having difficulty weight-bearing on his left front leg and Diesel trembled when he touched a spot on Diesel's front leg in between his shoulder and elbow.

Arnica - has been shown to inhibit platelet function - not a good idea.

Traumeel - ? I don't think this product is available in Canada

Duralactin - sounds promising, as does the boswellia.

Methocarbamol - possibility, I had dismissed muscle relaxants because I know there is a drug interaction between tramadol and cyclobenzaprine.

Thanks for all your suggestions,

I will contact the vet once they are open tomorrow.

Tina

Traumeel is available here in Canada. It's my favourite go to med. I know someone who works atwith hemopheliac dogs. She started using Traumeel instead of acetaminophen and has had fabulous results.

Where do you live?

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Traumeel is available here in Canada. It's my favourite go to med. I know someone who works atwith hemopheliac dogs. She started using Traumeel instead of acetaminophen and has had fabulous results.

Where do you live?

Yup...Traumeel is most certainly available here.

I have it in drops, as well as a cream.

Use it on both horses and dogs.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg