Not Peeing Outside, Holding Till Xplodes In Crate!?

Guest Brock

OK,

I got a new male hound, Apollo, about 3 weeks ago. My previous male, Tails, passed about a month before that, and my female, Trixie, just never got out of her depression, so made the decision to bring another one in to reinvigourate her.

I crate him when out of the house, but have him out at all other times. He sleeps in the bedroom with me at night.

he had marked a couple times in the house the first couple days but since then, no accidents.

we let him out all the time, and typically spends no more then 4-6 hours in his crate at a time.

well, now fast forward to 4 days ago. My GF calls and tells me Apollo peed in his crate. he was in for 4 hours, and had been out for 10 mins before i left. this is strange to me, why would he pee in his crate. but ok, must have just been an accident. next day, i get home from work, hes been in his crate probably 3 hours, and I find he has peed in his crate again. im thinkin what the heck is goin on? clean it all up ok. next day, i let him out after work, no pee, but notice, he isnt peeing outside. he is just standing in front of the door staring inside. trixie is trotting around the yard, goin bathroom etc, but Apollo is just standing infront off the door and looking in. I go outside and sit outside, and he just stands next to me. well after doing this outside thing 3 times, 20 mins a time,i got to go, and put him in his crate. 2.5 hours later, i come home to a soiled crate again.

we watch him the next day and confirm, he isnt peeing outside.he just stands there, wont go. we sit outside, wont go.

so we now theorize that for whatever reason, he is not peeing outside. he as a result holds it as long as possible till he cant anymore and pops, which is always in the time frame hes in his crate.

so now last night, i get him to pee once while were outside. then he comes in, we go to sleep, all is good. this morning, i take him out at 4:30 before i leave for work, after some 5 mins, he goes pee, great! no. my gf calls me at 1:30 and says he wouldnt pee for her. she sat out with him for 30 mins twice, and he wouldnt go. i of course get home 3 hours later, and now, with a belly band on, he has peed all over himself. i let him out, we sit there for 10 mins, no pee. I then proceed to walk them back on the wooded trail area for 45 minutes. i cannot make up when i tell you Apollo does not pee even one time. on a 45 minute walk. this is when i now realized, this is beyond something i can fix.

does anyone have any suggestions of anything. I have never heard of a dog not peeing outside. maybe on a leash, but not off leash. and especially since he was fine for three weeks then just out of nowhere started this. is there anyway this could be a health problem? should i take him to the vet to check? i thought maybe a uti, but what ive read is that it makes pups pee a lot, not stop them from peeing. please someone help us with whats going on, and how to fix it. thank you!!

Guest dragontearz

I'm sure others will say for sure take him to the vet and have him checked for a UTI. A consistent routine is important, and sometimes change for the dog is stressful until they get used to the household and the new routine. Oberon had a few accidents the first week we had him, then was perfect for almost a year until we bought our house and moved in recently, then we had two weeks of random accidents-taking him to the vet to check for a UTI (he was clear) and getting back on a consistent schedule and he's back to a happy accident-free greyhound. There may have been a change in his routine that you haven't noticed, but he did-new neighbors, fireworks happened to go off while he was trying to pee, a car backfired while he was busy doing his business, etc...persistence and patience are key.

Guest cruzNhounds

Brock sorry to hear about Tails :grouphug

So many reasons what's up with Apollo, did you contact the group you adopted from? maybe they can give you some insight. Could be just a bad habit :dunno.

Guest verthib

I'm sure someone will say I'm telling you you're wrong, but I'm not. I'm telling what happens to us. Angus will rarely go pee outside unless we're out there and we CANNOT sit. lol

We've tried sitting on the step, on our deck,etc. We actually have to just walk around a bit and mill about and he goes. Some will say we are catering to him but if we stay standing and walk around the yard he goes within 5 mins. Then we're sure he's gone pee and feel better about leaving him. Just a thought. Also I agree with the previous poster about doing a UTI check. Good luck.

I did call the agency he came from, they said they never saw it from him. He never peed n his cage, and always peed all over the turnout area no issues they were equally as baffled as I was. I will take him n on Monday when I'm off and get him checked out. Make sure there is no uti. Then assuming not, what I read that is interesting is the possibility of a traumatic experience while he was peeing that's now got him scared? Wow, that would be crazy if he was scarred to pee! Thanks all for your replies!

I would also try walking him around on leash until he (maybe) goes. It seems to loosen their organs up a bit, or maybe just their minds. It works with my dog, when I KNOW he has to go but just stands by the door.

Ya I thought the same, so we walked for 45 mins and nothing. Not even one mark or anything. I'm pretty stumped :/

Guest cruzNhounds

When I bring home a new dog we make a BIG deal out of potty breaks :blush . Lots of turn outs with lots of praise :dogcookie :dogcookie :gh_bow . :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck that it's not a medical problem.

What about walking him in areas where lots of other dogs have been. That always triggers mine to pee even if they dont have to go.

During that long walk yesterday we passed 4 other dogs, and the spots they peed. He sniffed the spot for a couple seconds and tue uninterestedly trotted off. Even my female pees and kicks up on every spot she gets a sent off. It's blowing my mind

And don't forget, this just started. For 3 weeks he was normal. He peed on everything n the yard and on walks for three weeks. Now though, nothing

I would also try walking him around on leash until he (maybe) goes. It seems to loosen their organs up a bit, or maybe just their minds. It works with my dog, when I KNOW he has to go but just stands by the door.

Ya I thought the same, so we walked for 45 mins and nothing. Not even one mark or anything. I'm pretty stumped :/

Unfortunately, at first 45 minutes isn't nearly enough time for some. I've had several fosters that I had to walk hours at a time before they would finally give in and pee outside (off leash/on leash, whatever).

Maybe your neighborhood is enough different from where he came from that he isn't confident going outside there.

I live in the city, and there are people, dogs, cars, busy streets, everywhere (but also 3 dog parks w/in walking distance). This can be quite a shock for a dog coming from a kennel. The toughest of my fosters was one who wasn't house-trained (despite coming from a home situation all her life). She only wanted to pee in the house. I had to walk her up to 6 straight hours to get her to go outside. It was awful. But, after about 2 weeks, she finally would readily go within a minute or so of getting outside. I looked at it like this - she only wanted to go inside and was willing to be very stubborn in order to get her way. I only wanted her to go outside and therefore had to be more stubborn in order to get my way. Fortunately, I can be extremely stubborn! :lol

After all that, maybe my experience isn't relevant to your situation, and it is always a good idea to check for a UTI. Good luck!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Could there have been something that startled or even actively scared him when he was doing his business outside? A noise, a neighbor, a dog 3 houses away, someone dropping a wrench across the street? His behavior sounds like he might be nervous (staring in the house when outside), of course, it could just be a stubborn "let me in!"

Our Monty started out hating to to potty while on leash when he came to our house (he'd always been let out in fenced areas and was "shy") and it sometimes took over 2 hours to get him to do something outside. And he is now extremely frightened of fireworks and thunder (even the sound of rain outside makes him quiver). so if he has heard anything like a firecracker within the 7-county metropolitan area, he freezes up and won't go. Until we walk and walk and walk (I was out 2 years ago for over 4 hours one night because he wouldn't/couldn't). He's better than he was then, but still it takes 20 minutes after something that might have been a firecracker or thunderclap for him to relax enough to do anything.

Check him for a UTI, then you're going to have to untrain him from peeing in his crate and re-train him to go outside. And that will be some serious work, because if he's been doing this for 3 weeks he's got a lot of habit/history behind messing in his crate to undo. If you can, get a belly band and put it on him when he's in his crate, and always always go out with him and reward for actually doing things outside. Which means always being with him to make sure he does it.

Guest verthib

What about walking him in areas where lots of other dogs have been. That always triggers mine to pee even if they dont have to go.

During that long walk yesterday we passed 4 other dogs, and the spots they peed. He sniffed the spot for a couple seconds and tue uninterestedly trotted off. Even my female pees and kicks up on every spot she gets a sent off. It's blowing my mind

And don't forget, this just started. For 3 weeks he was normal. He peed on everything n the yard and on walks for three weeks. Now though, nothing

Is he drinking significantly less water?

He is not drinking too much water at all. I can't confirm I it's significantly less, but during this ordeal I have noticed he drinks less water than any other dog I've ever had...

What might that tell you??

Guest verthib

He is not drinking too much water at all. I can't confirm I it's significantly less, but during this ordeal I have noticed he drinks less water than any other dog I've ever had...

What might that tell you??

That could explain why he's pering less when you're out, maybe there is no urge, and then it hits him after you're gone? I have no clue really. I'm sorry you are going through this. Someone mentioned to me a while back that spinal cord/nerve damage can affect the sensation or urge to pee. Did he get hurt playing? I'm sure others on this forum with more experience can possibly elaborate?

Guest cendrine

Try leaving measured amounts of water in a bowl so you can calculate how much he drinks. Note his drink times if possible. If he leaves any in the bowl, measure that, too, so you know the amount at that time.

This is sounding like a medical issue to me but I am no expert.

Most male dogs will urinate on walks because they like leaving their mark. The fact that you took him for a 45 minute walk and he didn't try makes me wonder if it is hurting him to go so he holds it until he absolutely can't anymore. UTIs are rare in male dogs, not to say this is or isn't the case here, however there are other things that can affect urinary function. I would make a vet appointment and have him checked out.

UTIs aren't really rare in males, just less common than in females.

I'd get him to the vet tomorrow for an exam and urinalysis.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

if he doesn't have a uti then read this:

i have had male dogs and have a friend whith a young male grey who doesn't pee on walks. the young males holds it for a 4 mile walk and always breaks loose in the car- flooding the dog bed in the back. i have had "non-marking"males who have had literal demos by males friends and they still didn't get it. eventually having a potty place worked.

potty plan: try walking him on a "business walk" rather than a pleasure walk. a business walk is to a specific spot/area(usually curb or tree side but close to your house) and walk him there back and forth and use a key word- do your business, go pee, hurry hurry. only walk him to that specific area as soon as you take him out and if he pees- FOOD REWARD. bring him back in, his business is done. if you are going for a walk-walkies, not pee walk leave the house and go in a different direction.

i have a friend whith a young male grey who doesn't pee on walks. the young males holds it for a 4 mile walk and always breaks loose in the car-flooding the dog bed in the back. i have had "non-marking"males who have had literal demos by males friends and they still didn't get it. eventually having a potty place worked.