Supplement For Itchy Skin

Does anyone know a good supplement for dry, itchy, possibly allergic skin? Razzy also has a very sensitive tummy, so I'm not sure fish oil would be the best bet. She does get Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream food, so that does have omega-3's in it. She is very red/itchy around her eyes, neck & bum (all places she scratches/licks a lot).

Edited by JenniferS

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

We use a fish oil capsule with a high Omega 3 content. As a result I have to give much less fish oil to get the same effect. My current male has some skin allergies. He was on antihistamines for a while but now is maintained with fish oil as his only supplement, no meds at all. With Spring coming up we'll find out how it helps with seasonal allergies but for now he's doing great.

Before we started using fish oil I use this supplement for a little foster dog with terrible skin issues. http://www.petco.com/product/112056/NaturVet-Naturals-Ultimate-Skin-And-Coat-Powder-Dog-And-Cat-Supplement.aspx That product did her a world of good while we searched for the root cause. So this is something else to consider as an option.

It is correct to presume you are working with a vet to find the cause?

IMHO, this is sounding more like an allergic reaction rather than dry skin.

You could try adding some oatmeal into his food - sometimes it can help soothe minor skin irritations. Also, oatmeal seems to be great for growing hair ....

It could also be a reaction to laundry detergent or softener - maybe use the scent free and hypoallergenic ones.

IMHO, this is sounding more like an allergic reaction rather than dry skin.

You could try adding some oatmeal into his food - sometimes it can help soothe minor skin irritations. Also, oatmeal seems to be great for growing hair ....

It could also be a reaction to laundry detergent or softener - maybe use the scent free and hypoallergenic ones.

I thought of this too-- wonder if this hound is allergic to the food! Food allergies frequently make red itchy faces.

Guest verthib

I think the dog could be allergic to the food. Not all dogs tolerate a fish based food as many have told me and as I'm finding out with Angus. Now that we're almost done switching him to lamb he itches very very rarely.

I use coconut oil instead of fish oil & it has worked wonders. My DD uses it also & found it worked well for her too. Also made for nice soft shiney coats. I order mine from drugstore.com.

Coconut oil has worked wonders here too! And I use it myself as well. Order mine from Vitacost, but Drugstore.com has good prices too.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown