Raz Acting Strangely- ?indigestion

Guest gzgreytfun

Guest gzgreytfun

Hi:

I rarely post but have found wonderful info on this site. So...I hope someone can help me out. In the past week and a half, Raz my 6 yo male grey will get up from his bed and just stand with his head down. His tail is tucked in tight and he may be a bit arched. He has to be led outside and then he does the same, altho 2x he paced around and had a bowel movement. Then after bm he stands still, or today, he sat. Won't come in and we have to get leash and lead him back into the house. Poops are normal, No pudding or D. He eats his meals with usual good appetite. The instances last anywhere from 15 min to 1/2 hour. Then he lays down. Later he seems fine. Runs around with my girl grey, etc. He will go several days and we think he's fine and then, seemingly unrelated to anything, he does the freeze stand, hang head thing. Sometimes he will open his mouth a bit or lick once or twice. No gurgly stomach sounds. No tightness in belly. In total, counting just a few minutes ago, he has done this 4 times. It passes so quickly that we have let it go but now I am getting concerned. Haven't given him any meds. Note: he is a dirt eater. Is it possible that the dirt (sort of frozen and hard this time of year) could be the cause. Could it be indigestion? Any advice will be appreciated. The instance has already passed and he is lying on his bed in the living room and seems fine.

Gina

Raz has eaten socks and washcloths in the past (when we first got him) We had to give him hydrogen peroxide to bring them up. However, I am not missing any socks or wc"s and we are really careful with them. Still it is possible, I guess that he ate something. In the past he would have diarrhea or looser bowels tho so we had a clue that he ate something. Now his poops are solid and normal amount...

I'd make an appt with the vet and time it so it's shortly after he eats. Hopefully he'll do that at the vets.

If it was just a one time issue I might have thought gas, but it seems to be too frequent.

Did you change his food recently? Has anything changed at the start of this symptom?

Can you video tape it for your vet?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Since those sound similar enough to the opening moves of bloat, I would worry (being a worry-wort) that he might be building towards that. Maybe he has a tendency towards making extra gas, which could contribute?

If the vet doesn't find anything, you might want to consider going over his food with a fine-tooth comb, and eliminate grains and soy. Oh, and dirt, socks and washcloths! ;)

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Since those sound similar enough to the opening moves of bloat, I would worry (being a worry-wort) that he might be building towards that. Maybe he has a tendency towards making extra gas, which could contribute?

If the vet doesn't find anything, you might want to consider going over his food with a fine-tooth comb, and eliminate grains and soy. Oh, and dirt, socks and washcloths! ;)

Parituclarly given that after he walks a bit it seems to get better...it does sound like a gas build up of some sort....the other concern...I don't know if it's true for hounds, but I know with horses, eating sand/dirt can cause sand colic....basically too much sand begins to create a blockage....I'm wondering if he has a small blockage developing and is getting cramps as the stools try to pass......It may not be significant enough yet to cause vomiting or diarreah....just a thought...but I would be sure to mention the dirt eating to the vet.

My boy at the bridge, Jack, used to eat my hair scrunchies. I found out the hard way when I saw him vomit and then eat the thing back down....I have no idea how long it was in there, but in that case, I had noticed diareeah for two days....in your case, you haven't seen anything like that.....that's why I'm thinking more of the slow build up of dirt/sand.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest gzgreytfun

Just back from the vet. Raz had no obvious abnormalities. Vet took his time and did some thoro checking along his spine and neck. He checked his heart and bowel sounds. Checked out all four legs. Couldn't find anything obvious. They drew blood and are going to check for any abnormalities there tho he had normal values at his last checkup. Vet said he was thinking it could be something nerological. If it persists, and definitely if it worsens, he recommended going to vet neurologist for scans. He said he could not rule out the possibility of tumor.

No problems today. Raz is his normal happy go-lucky self. Running around in backyard with Milenka

Guest gzgreytfun

I am going to tape it if/when it happens again. Bill and I are making a notebook so we can see if there is any pattern to the episodes and also to see if they are getting more frequent or worse. Also we can see if its related to eating dirt or any specific activity. I am having a hard time thinking my big Boo-Boo might have a tumor so I guess I would like it to be from the dirt or gas...

Thanks for everybody's input.

Edited by gzgreytfun

Great idea with the notebook. Take note of exercise that day, stresses, food, bowel habits....everything you can think of.

Good luck! Keep us updated.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest gzgreytfun

OK. The vet just called me after hours. Raz's electrolytes are way out of whack. His Potassium is greater than 10 (the chart only goes to 10 so he doesn't know how high it is really). His Sodium is very low. The doc suspects Addison's Disease. I have to take Raz in for a steroid shot tomorrow cause he's worried about him going over the weekend. We have to take him back on Monday for a ACTH Stimulation test that is more specific or definitive for Addison's Disease. The vet said Raz does not present in the usual lethargic, no energy mode that he would expect. He kept asking if he has been drinking more water...but I haven't noticed that at all.

Please feel free to sound in if you know anything about the disease or if you have any advice!

I'd suggest checking a fecal too, as whipworms can also cause a high potassium and low sodium. Also wouldn't hurt to treat with Panacur just in case. But I would definitely still do the ACTH stim since Addison's is such a serious condition.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg