Freak Accident

When I'm getting Maggie's food ready, she usually lays next to me on the mat in front of the sink waiting. Last night while preparing her dinner, I stepped back while wearing high, thin heels. Thought my heel was caught on the edge of the rubbery mat in front of the sink so I pulled. Unbelievably it turned out that Maggie was behind me and I stepped on her foot. She screamed, I looked at the top of her foot and it seemed okay - no bleeding. She proceeded to her bowl and ate her entire dinner holding that foot up. She then proceeded to the diningroom where she lay down to lick the bottom side of her paw and started bleeding all over the carpet. :yikes Ran her to the vets. They examined her foot and cleaned it up and bandaged it. Seems my heel went totally through the webbing between her toes. :puke We just dropped her off this morning for repair work to be done. I'm nervously awaiting the call that everything is fine and there was no more damage than what was seen last night.

I can't believe I hurt her so badly (I do know in the grand scheme of things this isn't such a horrible injury). It's just that I did it to her. If things go as planned, she should be out of surgery about noon and home later this afternoon. My poor baby :brokenheart

I'm sure all of us would feel the same (heck, I feel horrible when I accidentally step on Annie Bella's foot when I'm in sneakers). Accidents happen but nonetheless, we still feel responsible. So glad to read it's all being taken care of. I wonder if she'll lay there again? :unsure

Oh my gosh, poor girl. Things happen. I remember when we went to see some greyhounds before making the decision to go through the adoption process. The group told us (who had 5 greys in the house that came to greet us), "OH they are never underfoot"....uh huh. LOL I can't tell you how many times we've almost fallen and broken a hip because Kasey is RIGHT THERE.

She'll be ok soon enough. HUGS.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest KennelMom

Accidents happen. You cant beat yourself up over them, esp when the injury is minor.

Not sure what they're doing to repair the webbing though. Stitches seems like overkill. Echo stepped on something while lure coursing and punctured the webbing. It healed up, but a subsequent injury to the same webbing caused it to just split the whole way. It healed up on it's own...probably for the best. Now I don't have to worry about that webbing anymore!

Guest Eyeblaura

So sorry she got hurt and hope she heals up nicely. I agree though it was an accident, don't beat yourself up. Enzo is always underfoot, especially in the kitchen. It is amazing he hasn't gotten stepped on yet.

So sorry this happened! She should be fine.

Though just FYI, the webbing probably won't heal back together. My boy Copper has torn his webbings several times. The first couple, I took him in for stitches, which failed before the end of the day. For subsequent tears, I just kept his foot covered and clean, and got some AB's from the vet, soaked it a couple times a day. They healed up in half the time of the repaired areas - thet is, the rips healed but the webbing did not repair. He doesn't have a foot with all the webbing intact anymore, but it doesn't seem to bother him too much.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest KennelMom

a split or puncture/hole will heal on it's own w/o surgery. BTDT with a few dogs...not from my shoe, just active running hounds.

Glad she's out of surgery safely!

Ranger is always sneaking up quietly behind us and lying down and then getting trodden on when we turn round. He never learns - some dogs are just like that! Luckily for him, I never really wear anything but trainers or slippers!

Poor Maggie. But she'll heal OK, and you know, she's already forgiven you! :wub:

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Hopefully she is home safe and sound. I'm so sorry.....You must have just felt awful!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

How is your baby today?

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.