The Difference A 2Nd Dog Makes

Guest jbbuzby

Guest verthib

If I had to guess i'd say it was your fawn who has SA but not positive. It was interesting to see how he was slightly dominating over the other with the paw/leg on the brindles back. My Angus does the same with Gracie, and like you we muzzle them when they're not crated while we're gone. He's already bitten her once during play so we don't take chances. It also interesting how you could point to the bed and he laid down. I'm there with Gracie but no where near there with Angus. Why did you do that with one and not the other? I'll take any tips i can get. Also you didn't get excited when you came home which is what I'm trying to work on because they say that's better for SA dogs. My SA dog is Gracie, the non-dominant one. That's why we got Angus and her SA nearly disappeared overnight. I'm glad you posted this video! Love your blue wall btw.

Edited by verthib

I love having two.....It makes me feel so much less guilty when I leave.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest jbbuzby

If I had to guess i'd say it was your fawn who has SA but not positive. It was interesting to see how he was slightly dominating over the other with the paw/leg on the brindles back. My Angus does the same with Gracie, and like you we muzzle them when they're not crated while we're gone. He's already bitten her once during play so we don't take chances. It also interesting how you could point to the bed and he laid down. I'm there with Gracie but no where near there with Angus. Why did you do that with one and not the other? I'll take any tips i can get. Also you didn't get excited when you came home which is what I'm trying to work on because they say that's better for SA dogs. My SA dog is Gracie, the non-dominant one. That's why we got Angus and her SA nearly disappeared overnight. I'm glad you posted this video! Love your blue wall btw.

-You are correct that it's the fawn, but compared to him whining, crying, wailing, pawing at the door, panting, etc. I was very proud of him!

-Yes, he does tend to *try* to play that way, but my female just doesn't and ignores him, as she does in the video. We'll keep those nails nice and dull though!

-As for the bed thing, I WILL be doing it with Winry, but we only just adopted her! Ha ha. I have yet to teach her the "place" command, though I have no doubt she'll get it in no time.

-I can only imagine what getting excited would do for poor Ferguson! It's important to me that he learns me coming and going is uneventful and nothing to worry about...so initially, I am as dull as possible.

-Thanks! I love the blue walls too :D.

I love that where one went, the other followed.....up the stairs...back down. Nice to see them get along that way.

My boys dont care about eachother! I thought getting a second one would give our first one company, but he's fantastic as a single. I will have to give the second one some alone training though, since he's always home with someone, whether its us or the first grey. When the day comes and he's a single, I dont want to deal with SA at that time thats for sure. I know the second one appreciates the company of the first, but not the other way around. Thanks for the vid.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

You can tell it's the fawn, but he looks pretty nicely relaxed on the whole! :)

We've found the same; with dogs who have been very anxious alone on their own, they perk up and settle well with a companion. We've also had dogs who seemed to do just fine on their own but when we added another were just SO much happier!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Ain't this the truth.

Here is a live cam of my dog (the fawn)

He has big SA issues (non-stop barking). I keep him in daycare two days a week, and borrow a friend's grey for the other three. He is 100% at ease, as you can see, as long as the other dog is there. I wish my situation allowed for me to get a second dog right now. I need a little more job security first.

Guest TBSFlame

Ain't this the truth.

Here is a live cam of my dog (the fawn)

http://www.ustream.t...nnel/rustytempo

He has big SA issues (non-stop barking). I keep him in daycare two days a week, and borrow a friend's grey for the other three. He is 100% at ease, as you can see, as long as the other dog is there. I wish my situation allowed for me to get a second dog right now. I need a little more job security first.

Maybe your could foster.

Guest nd5thyear

Dontcha love seeing them in their 'natural' mood when unattended? They're pretty funny!

Can someone help explain the best way to set up a webcam for viewing what your dog does when you leave the house? I see a few people record videos, others set up a permanent webcam with a live feed, Skype set up, etc.

I'd like to set up my Mac at home to view Fae while in her crate during the day (she's always quiet when we leave and is sleeping when we come home) to see if she is showing any SA symptoms or not.

Any tips on what websites/tools to use or best practices would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Guest jbbuzby

If you have a laptop with a webcam, you can theoretically install skype, and then install skype on your smart phone or work computer (ha, will have to explain that one to the boss!). Then, you can set up the home computer to a) not go to sleep and B) auto-answer "incoming calls" which is what you would do ("call" them from your work). I have yet to do this, but I'm sure I will once my significant other gets back into class-taking and doing less work from home! Hopefully future videos will continue to look like this one!!!

If you have a laptop with a webcam, you can theoretically install skype, and then install skype on your smart phone or work computer (ha, will have to explain that one to the boss!). Then, you can set up the home computer to a) not go to sleep and B) auto-answer "incoming calls" which is what you would do ("call" them from your work). I have yet to do this, but I'm sure I will once my significant other gets back into class-taking and doing less work from home! Hopefully future videos will continue to look like this one!!!

skype is the easiest way if youre going to be viewing on a mobile device (just make sure you have unlimited data!). jbbuzby's explanation is exactly right -- though to be clear, you will need to create two skype accounts (one to make calls, and the other to receive them). i use ustream for when im just going to be viewing through my desktop at work, since it can be glitchy when viewing on my phone. then i just leave my laptop open and watch. thats what the link is to up there.

the other advantage of skype, is that you can actually talk through your computer to the dog (though mine wont acknowledge my voice through the computer speakers).

Edited by jaym1

Love this video! Looks to me like they make a great pair and your boy is quite happy with her.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.