Moving With A Dog

We are moving to our new house soon!!

It's going to be the first time moving a dog...

what should I do?

how to introduce the dog to the new place?

We are getting the keys february 11th, DH is doing renovation the week of the 13th, sandblasters workers will do the hardwood floors the 20-21 (cant walk on them until the 23rd) and we are moving in February 25th!

should I go a few time during the week of the 13th with Otis?

the previous owners were smokers and I have to clean all the house to get the smell out :sick

They have a small dog, Otis will certainly smell his odor in the house...

one thing that's great: the house is 7 streets from our appartment.. so no long distance to do and it's the same area for Otis walks ;)

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Guest Geostar

Well, I'm a big one on using crates in strange situations, and surely, this would be strange to your grey. Of course, I'd introduce him to the house, walk about it, go in the front and back yard..and let him sniff. When you move, the crate will come in handily. There are several reasons:

1. When my husband and and I were packing up to move across country with our two greyhounds, we learned that enticing material..such as old

steel scrubs should not be left where any dog can get them. Our male grey swallowed one such object, and fortunately for us, was able to vomit the rusty steel ball up..4x3-inches in size! So, we muzzled the dogs. We were very, very lucky..for if that object had not come up..surgery would have been the next option..

2. A crate is always a good idea to help introduce your dog into a new home. For one thing, he isn't going to understand that he isn't supposed to do his business in your new home..as it may not 'look and feel' like the old one. So, as a crate is considered not a prison, but, rather a 'safe place..a den or cave..if you will', I'd keep him in there so he won't swallow anything he shouldn't..After a few days, and when all is settled, then, let him out to claim your home as his! When we came to our new home, we crated our dogs until all was settled...

Best wishes always and good luck!

=star

I've moved three times (oy!) with Gabe and twice with my girls, and aside from a lot of whining on moving day ("WHY are these strange people taking our stuff?! And WHY are they not petting us?!"), it's been fine. The most important thing is to make sure your hound is safe and isn't going to slip out the door as things are being moved in and out. I baby gate them in an empty room (no reason for movers to go in), put a sign on the gate and let the movers know to be extra cautious about it. Obviously, if you're doing the moving yourself, this isn't an issue.

They've all settled into our new homes without missing a beat. As long as their people, beds and food bowls are there (not necessarily in that order :lol ), my pups generally just go with the flow.

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

We had a friend take Bootsy for moving day and that night, I think. Other than that, we just kept him on his routine of meals , walks, etc. No formal introductions to the house. He explored on his own. He settled in after the first night. Have fun moving!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Since you're nearby to where you're moving, I've always read to take the dog for walks around the new neighborhood before you move, and to hang out in the house for a little while a couple times (if that's possible) before you actually move. I don't know if it helps even though I've done it, it always seems like the dogs don't really calm down until all the furniture and their stuff is moved.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

We moved from California to Massachusetts with four dogs, two horses, and three teenagers.

The move was hardest on the horses, 'cause they had to stand up in a trailer all the way across the country (well, they were only driving at night and resting during the day).

The teenagers? We adapted, and thought we were WAY cooler than the Massachusetts kids.

The dogs? Where there people are, they are. They couldn't have cared less. And we spent 2 weeks in CT waiting for our stuff to arrive, so they almost moved twice. Just stick with their same bowls, beds, food, etc.

The idiots in the CT airport put the dog crates on the luggage carousel...four dogs, going round and round and round. We were rather ticked off...

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Either set up and crate or have someone take him on moving day. The risk of him getting out of an open door is great. He could slip out and you wouldn't even notice him. I brought Emmy and Andy over to the new house the day before we moved and let them roam around the back yard, put their smell everywhere out there so that once we moved they would recognize the yard.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I agree that the primary concern is keeping the dogs safe. When I moved, my dog stayed at my parents so I didn't have to worry about the movers letting him out.

Otherwise (as others have stated) my dog adjusted fine - all he needed was me, his dog bed and his dishes and he was "home".

Just a brief note that you want to make sure that any fumes are gone before you move in with the dog - greyhounds seem to be more sensitive to solvents (like used on wood floors) and the like.

I didn't have dogs when I last moved, but the night before moving day, I took the cats and rabbit over to a friends house and they stayed with her until everything was in the new place and the movers were gone. Too easy for someone to dart out the door in the confusion!

Since you live so close, you could take him over for a visit or two before you move (after the fumes are gone!) so things will look and smell somewhat familiar, but I would guess as long as his stuff (beds, food bowls, toys) is there and his people are there, he'll be fine :)

Guest Giselle

I've moved once with Ivy, but I often take her with me when I visit my folks. I anticipate to move several more times with her, if my life goes as I hope it should...My experiences echo the rest of the posts here. Just move all the big stuff first, move Fido last, and make sure all the gates and doors are locked and secure. Other than that, use the same bed, same bowls, same toys, and it's not big deal.

I will reiterate, though, make sure all the gates and doors are locked and secure!!! I once left the local grocery store and heard an awful commotion behind me. I turned around and, lo and behold, it was my dog running loose in the busy street. Good thing her recall is rock solid :)

My hound stayed with friends on moving day. That kept me from stressing about him accidentally getting out and kept him from being stressed too. He was more stressed in the days leading up to the move as I had boxes stacked all over the house which had him all confused. I was off for several days after I moved so he was able to settle in nicely before I went back to work.

Guest BassoonMo

We're military and have moved several times with dogs. They seem to be the most stressed by the packing up and seeing all the stuff "disappear". We've never had a problem with them adjusting to a new house with the exception of them getting used to stairs when we moved from a 1 story to a 2 story. Otherwise they enjoy checking out the new house and yard and seem happy as long as you stay close by and they have their stuff. Good luck with the move!

I think I've moved 6 times with my dogs. Oy! I either take the dogs somewhere on moving day, or I have one friend who leashes them up and it's their sole responsibility that day to keep a watch over the dogs (they always stay leashed).

I usually don't wash their bedding so that it smells familiar for at least a week.

I also walk them through the house and around the yard one time leashed, then I turn them loose.

The only problem I've ever had is when my idiot landlord showed up unannounced at the end of a long day of moving. He left the door wide open after her let himself in (again, unannounced) and Jackson the Airedale decided to go for a walk on his own. The greys were too tired to get off the couch.

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest PhillyPups

I've moved several (don't want to count) times with my dogs, only thing I did was make sure they were secure and could not get out an open door. First thing I did in the new house was show them the back door to the yard. They adjusted fine, found thier beds and bowls, jsut find and they had no problem adjusting. The longest was a 2 day trip from Florida to Jersey, they stayed one night in a motel, and were fine with it all.

But then, we can be overly concerned, so with a move that close, it is an excellent excuse to be out with the dogs while the rest of the folks do the heavy work. :lol

Edited by PhillyPups

When we moved with Peyton, we took him to the new apartment a few times so it wouldn't be completely unfamiliar to him. However, the move was still hard for him (he has a history of SA, though he's doing very well now) and he ended up chewing our new doorframe when we popped out for 20 minutes to grab some dinner. In hindsight, we weren't paying attention to his cues. He was stressed and we didn't see it because WE were stressed too!

I definitely second the idea of a crate or having him stay at a friend's/daycare during the actual move. We had to put Peyton in an empty room with me, which he didn't like because he could hear the movers but not see them. If you do crate him, I'd give him a stuffed kong, and I'd also take him for a long walk before and after to help burn off some energy.

Things will be in upheaval but try to keep to his previous schedule for walks/feedings to help put him at ease. Not all pups are neurotic like my boy, though. ;)