Dental Supplies

I've never had to do any dental care, at home or cleanings at the vets since my dogs are raw fed, but Zuri at age 7 has started to develop some tartar on his canines that the raw bones aren't getting so I need to start brushing. I'm about to order some supplies online and am wondering whether people find it easier (both on you and the dog) to use the regular toothbrush or the finger brush? Also, any particular toothpaste, or are all of the brands basically the same? I think I read that I need to get an enzymatic toothpaste, but beyond that?

I saw the separate petzlife thread, but I think I'd like to start with just brushing to see what that does.

Thanks!

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest GreyGary91806

Toothpaste we use http://www.entirelypets.com/cettoothpaste.html

We also add this to their drinking water http://www.entirelypets.com/cetaquadent16.html

And last but not least http://www.entirelypets.com/hexorrinbyvi.html

We have the ergonomic brush and a finger one, my Vet also recomended to rub the gums with just our finger. Gary already has issues with his gums that we are trying to beat before he has to get teeth pulled!!

I brush with my finger since it gives me better "feedback" about where I am in the dog's mouth and it's gentler on sensitive gums. Almost all the canine-formula toothpastes are enzymatic, so it's a matter of finding a flavor your dog likes. (Mine like 'em all.) You can get canine toothpaste at pretty much any pet store (PetSmart et al.). Petrodex brand has chicken, peanut, or beef flavors. One or two companies have a mint-flavored, which my guys like. With an enzymatic toothpaste, getting the paste on the teeth is the important part; brushing the enamel is not so important. But you need to use the toothpaste every day.

For folks who might not know: Don't use human toothpaste; dogs don't spit out the fluoride. And a canine toothbrush will be softer than a people brush; dogs have nice strong jaws, but the enamel on their teeth isn't that tough.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Petzlife! Works!

I ended up ordering the gel, in addition to toothbrush and paste. I don't think we'll need it long term, but I didn't notice Zuri had stuff building since he didn't for the first 5 years I had him so I figured we can use it to "get ahead" and then just maintain with brushing as needed.

FYI, I got impatient and decided to do my own research :lol and found this:

Some dog toothpastes are enzymatic toothpastes. These products contain either a single chemical, glucose oxidase, or a combination of glucose oxidase and lactoperoxidase. On its own, glucose oxidase helps eliminate bacteria in a dog’s mouth by creating hydrogen peroxide. The creation of hydrogen peroxide may help reduce the buildup of tartar in your dog’s mouth, which can help reduce his chances of developing gum disease. The hydrogen peroxide created by the glucose oxidase activates enzymes in the lactoperoxidase (a milk-based enzyme) to help reduce the growth of microorganisms in your dog’s mouth.

Petrodex has only the glucose oxidase, while CET has both so I went with CET. Figured it might help, can't hurt and prices weren't significantly different. Got both chicken and beef to see if the dogs like one better than the other.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I've never brushed their teeth with it (or anything else). I put it on their gums with my finger before bed.

The toothbrush and paste are for routine brushing. ;)

I've really liked the Petzlife gel and the spray. I do need to brush with Carrie. My mom got angled toothbrushes for her dogs - I think they came from Drs. Foster and Smith. She uses the Petzlife gel and brushes with Goody. Sunny is still in training wheels with the spray :lol He is not fond of being held still or picked over. She's had him for over a year and we're just now able to dremel his back toenails without a drama fest :lol

We had CET chicken flavored toothpaste once upon a time, but I didn't really care for it (results-wise), neither did Ace. But, that was quite a long time ago, so their formula may be a bit different now. Hopefully you'll have good results.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

For physically brushing the teeth, I prefer a regular toothbrush with soft bristles (I give the dogs my used toothbrushes). Gauze over your finger would probably be my next choice. I find that the bristles of the rubber fingerbrushes are too soft to be really effective. The physical act of brushing actually does the majority of the work, so the type of toothpaste you use doesn't matter as much. Just make sure it's a pet toothpaste.

I believe tbhounds mentioned in a different thread that she uses a SoniCare electric toothbrush. If you can get your hounds used to that, I think it's a great idea. Haven't tried it with my dogs as I don't even have an electric toothbrush for myself.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

i use the old heads from my electric toothbrush. i alternate between petzlife and peroxide diluted w/ water. occasionally i attach the head to the electric tb and give them a good brushing that way. i also scale w/ my thumb nail, it does the trick, i can get under the gums. it's that little dent in the molars that's hard to clean.

Yes- As mentioned the SoniCare works really well. I bought one with two heads - one for me and one for the hounds. My advice, however, mark them very clearly who's is who's!

Edited to add- not that I ever made that mistake!! :-)

Edited by tbhounds

Guest gomiesmom

I also use my "spent" Sonicare heads on my pups. It just takes a little training & mine tolerate it fine. If my guys will tolerate it, any will. If I do not use the sonicare on a particular day, I do use a regular, soft head brush. I also find the finger brush too soft (& look out if it slips off your finger, cause a pup could easily swallow it - yikes)

I use enzymatic toothpaste I get at my vet's office.

My GO TO product is a liuid, though, I buy from Foster & Smith w/ Chlorahexidine(sp) as the active ingredient. It kills the "bacteria" in thier mouths that causes all the problems. I buy sponges on a stick ( also F&S) and swab out their mouths.

My guys have not had a dental in 4 years, and the vet cannot get over how good their teeth look. She says they are great for dog teeth, much less, GREYHOUND teeth. I truly beleive it's the mouth rinse.

I also scale ( w/ a flat tip scaler) if I see any little build up places, but his also takes training the pupper to tolerate it. The gauze is also a great idea- I'll have to try that as well.

Is the solution just chlorhex or is there other stuff in it? If the former, at what dilution? I have a huge jug of it.

Is the solution just chlorhex or is there other stuff in it? If the former, at what dilution? I have a huge jug of it.

Not sure about the Foster & Smith product, but I use the CET Oral Hygiene Rinse, which contains chlorhexidine gluconate. However, if you have a jug of regular chlorhexidine cleaning solution that is typically used as a topical disinfectant, I'm not sure I'd dilute it for oral use without knowing if it has other inactive ingredients. There are also other forms of chlorhexidine besides gluconate, and I'm not sure if the others can be used orally.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Mine get bones once in a while plus I brush twice a day

Plaque-off once a day on their kibble

I have oravet to use once a week but have forgotten the last 2 weeks. I find it's a mess to put it on their teeth.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest gomiesmom

NeylasMom, on 04 January 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

**Is the solution just chlorhex or is there other stuff in it? If the former, at what dilution? I have a huge jug of it.

Answer - to above -- the Foster/ Smith solution is .01% Chlorahexidine Gluconate- as another member suspected. the other ingreds. are water, glycerin, polysorbate 80, peppermint flavor and camine color.

I have always heard the chlorahex. is the best for killing the bacteria. It seems to work gret for us. Of course, I started w/ clean teeth 4 yrs ago. with daily swabbing mouths w/ the chlorahex solution and brushing every other night, etc.