What To Feed My Hounds - Done To Death!

Done to death I know, but we had to take Paige to the vet yesterday. She had had the big D every ten days since we got her (7 weeks ago). Each time previously we could put it down to something she ate or the stress of arrival (arriving, a rawhide bone, liver treats - too processed causing problems for both hounds - a treat someone at a pet store gave her without asking permission and so on). The last bout was caused by none of those. After an examination, we 'think' it might be a food intolerance which is exacerbating an inflamed bowel. So she's now on some antibiotics for the inflammation and boiled chicken and rice with probiotic yoghurt. We've put Brandi on the same because, inevitably, they want to eat whatever is in the other bowl. :rolleyes:

We started the new regime last night and I saw immediate results this morning. However, if it is a food intolerance we need to find a new food. They were on Canidae with yoghurt and rice occasionally. But I'm looking for other options. In Australia there aren't a huge number.

We've recently got Taste of the Wild over here which I could try, but is it less processed than Canidae? Going raw entirely isn't an option - not enough room in the freezer - but are there any others? Has anyone heard anything about Ziwi Peak?

Do you have any Metronidazol to give her or Endosorb to see if that helps? We like Taste of the Wild for our's but sometimes they need a little medicine to help get them on the right track.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Ideally, for a dog like that, you need a low-fat fish-based food like the Chappie we can get in the UK which is fine as long as your dog doesn't have a cereal allergy.

Did the antibiotic your vet prescribed also have the ability to kill Giardia?

Do you have any Metronidazol to give her or Endosorb to see if that helps? We like Taste of the Wild for our's but sometimes they need a little medicine to help get them on the right track.

She does seem to be better now (a dramatic difference). Both dogs used to have quite a bit of waste. Today, the volume was cut by two thirds and was much much firmer. Brandi's are perfect, Paige about 50% there. I'm more concerned about what happens longer term when we wean them off the stuff now. Although doing the chicken isn't a problem in terms of $$$$ it's more the time. They love sitting by the kitchen watching the rice cooker cook their dinner and breakfast, but waiting for it to cool down etc isn't going to be possible when I need to get to work.

I'm not worried about cost (within reason) either - to me, it seems a false economy to get cheaper and poorer quality food if it means all the savings will end up at the vet, and we end up with unhappy tummies.

I have had greyt success with Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream for my girl. I don't know if you also have Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance there? they make a Limited Ingredient Diet, and the Venison & Sweet Potato has also worked well for me in the past.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Ideally, for a dog like that, you need a low-fat fish-based food like the Chappie we can get in the UK which is fine as long as your dog doesn't have a cereal allergy.

Did the antibiotic your vet prescribed also have the ability to kill Giardia?

Not sure. The aim of the antibiotic was more for settling down inflammation. Because the episodes happened periodically or cyclically, we're guessing that its something in the food rather than a bug of some sort.

The reason I mentioned Giardia is that it is indeed cyclical

See the article in the link if interested:

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/giardia.htm

I'll check it out! Thanks!

Checked: article and antibiotic. She's on Metronidazole, which is the one recommended. :colgate

Edited by Brandiandwe

Taste of the wild did wonders for Gee. She loved the Wetlands formula which was turkey, chicken, duck.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

You might want to just stay with the home-cooked if cost is not an issue. Both of mine are fed home-cooked because Larry has some serious food intolerance to chicken and noodles and most dog foods have some chicken in them unless it is a "limited ingredient". Lucy, my other greyhound, has seizures and there is some thought in medical circles that some of the add-ins to processed dog food can exacerbate seizures.

It doesn't take much more time than feeding regular dog food if you make a few days worth of food each time. You also have to supplement with calcium and vitamins to ensure a balanced diet.

Otherwise, processed dog food can change their ingredients and what worked a few weeks ago may not longer work and then you are back to square one again.

we use precise foundation mixed with natural balance sweet potato and venison. Lexie has had diarrhea and soft stools in the past for years and these two foods seemed to be working (knock on wood). Lexie use to take tylan powder which helped trmendously in the past before this new food.

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest sirsmom

I agree with keeping her on homecooked for awhile til her tummy calms way down. I don't know what foods you have but if you have any limited ingredient foods with a lower fat content, that you can slowly introduce, it may solve your problem. Foods like this that come to mind are Natural Balance LID formulas or Nutro grain free. The TOTW may have too many ingredients to be effective.

Every 10 days strongly suggests a parasite rather than a food issue. If it's a food issue, you'll see the problem continuously when the dog is eating that food.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I have a GSP with IBD,, when his flairs up I keep him on metronidazol for about 3 months and on boiled rice and chicken Or boiled rinsed hamburger for about 4 weeks,, then we go to taste of the wild,, they make a salmmon base product,, but I use all 4 flavors, on a gradual basis, mixing in the boiled rice and boiled meat, we have been through the blood work and EGD with biospies, so I know he has IBD, he can go for months, and months with no issues,, then someone gives him a treat, unknown to me, and we are off and RUNNIING again,, I take him very few places in public,, just for that reason,, someone always wants to be kind and give him a treat,, good luck :)

Guest hollyhound2000

In the for-what-it's-worth category -- I had my greyhound (adopted in September) on a grain-free salmon and sweet potato food and his poop was getting softer and mushier as time went on. I kept bringing stool samples to the vet, treating him with metro, reworming, adding cooked pasta and chicken, etc. Nothing worked until I switched to a limited ingredient venison and potato kibble. The turnaround was startling -- even when I was still giving him some of the old food during the switch over. I mention this only because many people consider the salmon foods to be good for curing diarhea but in at least some dogs, that doesn't work. (I also stopped feeding milk bones and only give non-grain treats.)

do the asian markets have rice cookers? mine is my BEST FRIEND! i have a large one w/ a timer, set it up before bed and have the rice cooked 1 or 2 hrs before breakfast and jut add lots of cold water. i went thru giardia w/ felix, yes it flares up when the protozan reproduce and it took quite a few rounds of flagyl to clear up. recently he had a gut irritation and tylan powder for a week did the trick. i also took him off of the more expensive foods(after he was on rice and chopped beef for 2+weeks) and started him on a more moderatly price lamb/rice food for large dogs, nutro. knock on wood....excellent transition, no change in coat or skin after a month.i do find that not all dogs tolerate yoguart and using a commercial probiotic can be more effective. check out the probiotis in purina's forte flora and make sure you have most of them in what you find(if you decide to go that route). i also add a digestive enzyme for a while and that seems to help.

In the for-what-it's-worth category -- I had my greyhound (adopted in September) on a grain-free salmon and sweet potato food and his poop was getting softer and mushier as time went on. I kept bringing stool samples to the vet, treating him with metro, reworming, adding cooked pasta and chicken, etc. Nothing worked until I switched to a limited ingredient venison and potato kibble. The turnaround was startling -- even when I was still giving him some of the old food during the switch over. I mention this only because many people consider the salmon foods to be good for curing diarhea but in at least some dogs, that doesn't work. (I also stopped feeding milk bones and only give non-grain treats.)

This is a really good point about salmon and bears repeating again. Everyone does seem to think that salmon is a great food but, the salmon that is probably in the dog food is the one that is farm raised not the "wild" - the "wild" is great for people/dogs. The farm raised salmon seem to get more "antibiotics" to keep them healthy since they are raised in such crowded conditions and this closely resembles how chickens are raised today with just too many "antibiotics" given. If I'm going to give salmon to my dogs I give the canned wild salmon and for some of my dogs, it has been too rich.

Thanks for all the replies!

So far, yesterday we had a bit of D. Then today, a lot of stomach grumbling but no poop at all on the walk. When this has happened before, she has wanted to eat grass and nothing else. This morning, she had her breakfast, her tummy stopped gurgling and she's now asleep at my feet. We shall see. I'm giving this the full course of antibiotics and seeing how we go before.

I'm not sure which to hope for: a food thing or a parasite.

Interesting stuff about salmon though We tried both dogs on a salmon based food and the results were, shall we say, ugly.

Today was D day. And, right on time, we had D. Not as much as normal and not as bad, but definitely there. On the up side, Brandi has been doing really well on the chicken and rice, except for unexpected urination in the house, same time on two days. I'm thinking this has something to do with too much water in the rice and chicken, and have cut hers back a bit, and added Canidae again.

Today was D day. And, right on time, we had D. Not as much as normal and not as bad, but definitely there. On the up side, Brandi has been doing really well on the chicken and rice, except for unexpected urination in the house, same time on two days. I'm thinking this has something to do with too much water in the rice and chicken, and have cut hers back a bit, and added Canidae again.

It's unusual but, sometimes too much protein (like the kind found in real chicken/meat) will cause a dog to urinate more (at least that's what happens with my boy Larry). How much chicken are you giving daily?

It's unusual but, sometimes too much protein (like the kind found in real chicken/meat) will cause a dog to urinate more (at least that's what happens with my boy Larry). How much chicken are you giving daily?

2 thighs a day. She's now on slightly less than that, less rice which is very well dried out and some Canidae. It seems to have worked. Fingers crossed!

Guest csusan

I have one greyhound that has been on just about every food. She can not do yogurt or fish. I have tried her on chicken soup for the pet lover..., taste of the wild, solid gold, and a few more that I can't think of right now. Turns out she has colitis. I found this out when I gave her fish. She is currently on natural balance limited ingredient Venison and Sweet Potato. She gets this dry, some canned, and the same in treats. This was the only natural balance limited ingredient that did not contain some type of fish oil. She is also on Tylan Powder and we are down to 1/8 of a teaspoon twice a week. She was initially on 1/4 teaspoon twice a day. Dogs are all different what bothers one may work well for another. She gets NOTHING else but this unless I can cook for her which is hard to do with two other dogs both are older and have their own issues. I think though that it is important to find a food with minimal ingredients. The more ingredients in a food the more chance of irritating their stomachs. What is best is to find a food they can tolerate without medication if possible.

Good Luck!