The Smell Of Fear

This question is prompted by the recent attack on Chase. When Chase was attacked by the neighbor's dog the dog focused his attack on the back of Chase's rear legs. A friend whose greyhound was attacked while out for a walk also said the attacking dog also kept going for the same area. I've noticed that my own dogs pay particular attention to this area on Chase, although they of course do not try to attack him. I know of the anal glands, would dogs that are fearful tend to secrete more from this gland, sending the signal to other dogs they are fearful or is there another gland in the area responsible for this?

I'd say it's more likely that dogs and other predators tend to attack the hind legs in order to hamstring and cripple whatever it is that they are trying to take down. It's a lot easier to kill something if it can't run away, and the hind legs are the powerhouse in locomotion. Plus, there is that large artery, which they may be lucky enough to get.

In less aggressive encounters, the rear area is trapping the animal's unique scent, which is why other animals tend to be so sniffy back there.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Philosopher77 I did feel this dog was trying to take Chase down I was just wondering what drew him to focus so much on attacking only him. I also want to clarify that I'm not referring to them sniffing the anal gland area, but more specifically the area between the back of the knee and hock. Is there something in this area that signals fearful dogs as being more vulnerable?

Christenepi less pointy bits makes sense as far as the area of attack.

Nope. Typical hamstring attack. Instinctive and effective for canine predators. It's how a wolf pack brings down large prey.

Some large cats (lions, cheetahs, etc) go for the throat because they are strangulating their prey. But they need to get the animal on the ground first, so a swipe to the hind legs will knock them over.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

My opinion is that I believe that this breed looks rather timid than others to a predator. Their attitude is often a head down, nose low, tail down posture compared to other dogs who normally have an erect head, neck and tail. They also tend not to bark or growl as other dogs. So I think that a dog that wants to make trouble will go for greys. Why was he bit in the back? - What else can they get in a grey - that would be all they could catch./ No, as the other said, no tooths back here and the neck must not have been easily accessable. Lower legs are thin and more bite size to cripple a dog who then cannot run away and will be totally defensive. Sorry about your pup's injuries. I thinks that our greys may present a somewhat aloof appearance as they seem to be more trusting of other dogs and appear not to to be watching out for other dogs all the time especially in my case after the dogs have walked past us (most dogs turn their heads to make sure that the other dog will not attack or do anything from behind) mine seem to be oblivious that the other dog could potentially harm them. Maybe Greys trust other dogs to behave responsibly or act like adult dogs? Do our dogs seem submissive or passive to other dogs?

Edited by Snazzy_Chloe

Dogs who are afraid certainly do release more scent from their anal glands. In fact, a terrified dog will empty them. And there are certainly dogs who'll go for the weakest, most fearful animals.

Might not be as simple as killer instinct and 'trying to take him down' - in fact there really aren't that many domestic dogs who fight in this way. Usually it's a typical 'face off' in my experience, although smart dogs might indeed try to avoid the 'pointy bits' - a cat did this to my first greyhound, which was almost funny. It sneaked up behind him and just attacked his legs. He was MOST surprised.

Wolves go for the hindquarters when attacking larger prey and actually will often go for the jugular in smaller animals like sheep ... but I don't think you can extrapolate from wolf behaviour to explain dog-on-dog attacks. They are different animals, and dogs have evolved a long way from their wild origins.

Unless the attacking dog was a wolf hybrid?

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I've never heard of this, so it is good to know. When my dogs have been attacked the attacker has always gone for their throat, neck or face.

One time when another dog was snapping at him, Carl stood up on his hind legs and made himself look like an ENORMOUS black standing praying mantis. He scared the sh#t out of the other dog and never growled or bared his teeth. It was very impressive and intimidating. I've never seen a dog do that before. Is it a greyhound thing?

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

willie wonka wore a sign that said, "attack me!". i swear, dogs used to come out of the bushes, out of stores, out of no where and attack that poor bugger. they went for the back, rear, where ever! his thick dense double coat(he was a welsh terrier) is what saved him. velcro(my scottie at the same time) never had a dog come up to him w/ a snarl, he was a proud dignified alpha creature who drove big dogs out of our neighborhood. i saw him go UNDER a huge loose dog and nip him in the chest one snow storm.that dog left in a hurry.

some dogs just are secure and never emit the odor of "fear" or "uncertainty"(ie velcro) others wear a sign. the attacks that i witnessed came from all angles, not just the rear. willie finally fought back, he was being groomed in our driveway and a neighbor's pit bull pounced on him. he chased the dog home got knockout on the side. needless to say, knockout hasn't been back to visit.

Guest albertahound

Having my Grey attacked was a horrible experience. But luckily she wasn't hurt, or even show any panic or fear. It was me who felt more anxiety. Sophie is 3 1/2 year female who is quite docile and shows no knowledge of being in danger. The most recent time, it was me who noticed the dog who was going to go for her. But before much happened my 20 lb Lowchen was barking and biting at the Golden Retreiver's rear legs, he quickly moved on. The other 2 attacks wer in her face, one she fell down one I got between (not so smart) and moved her away. She stands erect,head up, tail up?? but lets me move her away.

So (no mre ranting) how can I protect her from other dogs. A bottle of water, loud yelling, a big stick, bear (dog) spray) :unsure

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences and knowledge.