Training Needed?

Guest Norzy

Hello!

We got Oliver in July and he has always been a very good boy ever since we got him so we didn't really think he needed any more formal training than what he came with. He is our first dog, and has been a dream: he never goes potty in the house, doesn't chase the cats, or dumpster dives/counter-surfs. As far as the training he knows, he responds to his name and "come" and "sit", which is fine by us. Recently, we even were able to teach him to jump into the trunk of our SUV on his own (as opposed to us picking him up) using treats and verbal command. Still, would it be smart for us to take him to obedience classes to help with ignoring distractions or being more response when called (this applies really only to when he's at the dog park)? I've heard that greyhounds can sometimes have a stubborn quality about them, so they may not come when they are playing with their buddies.

The short of it is, should we fuss more over his training, or is he fine with what he knows to be the good dog that we want him to be? We don't need him to be like a super show dog or anything like that, just a family hound!

Thanks for any input!

PS What does everyone think about Pedi Paws (the grinding nail trimmer gadget) for their grey?

Inexperienced owner here, but I've found that obedience classes have been great. No, neither of my girls can sit. They get the lie down bit, but the stand up cue is more difficult. They aren't food motivated, meaning training is difficult. HOWEVER, I've found that for them both, some obedience training has cemented my relationship with them such that I can call one of them away from playing, and am starting to be able to redirect both of their attention away from the yappy little dog (or cat) and towards me.

I think obedience classes (with someone who understands greys and their uniqueness) are particularly useful to help people who are new to dogs. Just make sure the teaching and training styles are the right ones for both you and your pup. At the very least, it's good for bonding and socialization.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Inexperienced owner here, but I've found that obedience classes have been great. No, neither of my girls can sit. They get the lie down bit, but the stand up cue is more difficult. They aren't food motivated, meaning training is difficult. HOWEVER, I've found that for them both, some obedience training has cemented my relationship with them such that I can call one of them away from playing, and am starting to be able to redirect both of their attention away from the yappy little dog (or cat) and towards me.

Yes, your dogs CAN sit. They might not want to, but all dogs, including Greyhounds, can sit!

My dog is EXTREMELY stubborn, and I taught him in three days.

As to the OPs inquiry--training is never a bad thing, especially if he's your first dog. It would be good for both of you! There aren't many dogs that will come when they're called at the dog park (one reason I would never take George to one) without significant training. I know--I used to watch my neighbors calling and calling their dogs to no avail. I blew my whistle, and my dog ran to my side, and they'd either say, "Wow! You're so lucky he obeys!" (uhm, twice daily lessons month after month after month!) or "Wow! Where did you get that whistle?" (as if the whistle somehow made him come to me).

That dog wasn't a Greyhound. But I've trained a number of dogs, and none of them have posed the challenge that George has.

For George, since he was five when I got him, and I sort of figure he's done his job, as long as he walks nicely on a leash, doesn't kill my cats, and goes to the bathroom outside, anything else is "gravy," so to speak! I also found it to frustrating after having the most trainable dog ever prior to George to work too much on obedience with George.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest BrindleBabes

Sounds like Oliver is a great dog! I'm lucky enough to live close to Lee Livingood (Greyhounds for Dummies). I've taken both my greys to her classes and continue to take them to her "Club Canine" with other breeds. We do drills and tricks (mine can sit and down at a distance, leave it, shake, come when called, turn around, target, etc.) OwnedbySummer is right -- it's excellent for socialization and bonding and they both seem to enjoy it (for about 45 minutes).

Having said that, on the rare occasion when I take them to the dog park they pretty much ignore me. We simply aren't very interesting when compared to all those other dogs and smells!

ps: I use a Dremel mini-mite - they cost about $25 on amazon.com. I use good treats (e.g., leftover chicken) and the girls literally race to lie down so they can be first to get their nails done!

A greyhound is a dog, first and foremost. They can pretty much do anything, just like other dogs.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Yes, your dogs CAN sit. They might not want to, but all dogs, including Greyhounds, can sit!

For some greyhounds it is not comfortable for them to sit. It's not a stubbornness issue. Sunshine sits like a champ while Rainy sits drunkenly and easily looses her balance while sinking down to lay. She's not trying to be disobedient or stubborn it's just uncomfortable for her.

Training is a great idea, just make sure YOUR comfortable with the techniques and never let the instructor do anything that you or your dog are uncomfortable or nervous about ;) When in doubt just say no!

I took Rainy to a clicker training class to try and get her comfortable in different situations. By the second class (first class was without dogs) I knew I had made a mistake. We never went back. The instructor launched into a rant about how Rainy wouldn't take treats because she was abused and that she refused to sit because the track dogs are shocked with a cattle prod at the track so they never sit in the start box. :rolleyes: He completely missed the obvious signs of her stress panting and averting her eyes. Basic reasons why she wouldn't take treats, she was in a new place and a bit nervous about it. I figured that anyone who was the poor at reading dog body language wasn't getting near any of my dogs.

My mother used the remaining classes that were pd for with one of her older bomb proof dogs that used to have fear biting issues and she agreed that the guy was an @$$. He kept insisting she make her 9 yr old Swiss Mt dog stand up and lay back down on command over and over. He has arthritis and once he got the command there was no point in making him repeat it 30 times! :lol Other than that's a good way to make your dog tune you out. B)

Oh and on the dremel, just get a battery operated one from the walmart tool section. :colgate Those infomercial ones are too weak for the tough greyhound nails. I actually use a corded one form walmart since I can never remembered to keep it charged. Hooked to a 12 ft extension cord and it's perfect for us.

------

Jessica

Guest jbbuzby

I think it's a greyt way to bond with your dog and make you an even better owner. You may want to look into the AKC Canine Good Citizen program in your area. I'm an official Evaluator for the program here in MD so I'm a bit biased, but it's a basic training class that leaves you with the end result of having a certified good dog! No super special breeds or methods required, and it's a lot of fun :). Here's a link to the website: http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/program.cfm

Obedience classes are a wonderful idea. Sounds like your girl may enjoy them & the additional training is a great bonding tool. Do check around to find the trainers likely to be better for you & your dog, then ask to observe a class or two to make sure. As JAJ2010 said:

Training is a great idea, just make sure YOUR comfortable with the techniques and never let the instructor do anything that you or your dog are uncomfortable or nervous about ;) When in doubt just say no!"

Also, please don't let anyone try to tell you your dog is stubborn. I had an instructor say that about my dog when in fact what the instructor was doing was confusing & upsetting to my dog. As a result my dog's opposition reflex had kicked in on high. My girl is absolutely not stubborn. It is wrong to believe that just because a Grey tenses up when someone tries to push them into a position.

Good luck & most of all, have fun!

Thanks for all the responses!! My next question is should I try one of those Petsmart/Petco 6 week classes (beginner/intermediate?) or should I look for one-on-one training? Does anyone have experience with the Petsmart/Petco classes?

For some greyhounds it is not comfortable for them to sit. It's not a stubbornness issue. Sunshine sits like a champ while Rainy sits drunkenly and easily looses her balance while sinking down to lay. She's not trying to be disobedient or stubborn it's just uncomfortable for her.

Yup. Same here. Paige sits regularly and happily. Brandi is long and a bit unco-ordinated - sitting actually looks painful for her, so she squats then keels over the lie down. Or drops into a sphinx pose.

The chain store classes are only as good as the instructors. Some are OK, many are worse than mediocre & some are terrible but there are a few who are very good. A couple big disadvantages of those stores are that they can be extremely distracting & everyone is packed together like sardines. Usually just being in a new area with new people & dog is distracting enough without the whole store atmosphere surrounding you. And though my Greys are small dog tolerant I wouldn't want to try & train with a little yapper just a foot away. The newer Petsmarts have a dedicated training area that while small is at least less distracting.

That doesn't mean you couldn't find a good teacher & class at a pet store. It just makes the search harder.

Guest LuvsGreys

Check out the obedience on youtube with "neversaynever" greyhounds and Jen Batchelor - or better still her blog has all sorts of useful things. I used her technique to teach Poppy to sit and she does lots of other tutorials. Poppy and I have been going to obedience and I am amazed how much her focus on me has improved in three classes. Admittedly, she is still an intermittent performer and bores easily but still, it has been worthwhile. I can see the improvement even if it isn't as rapid as some of the others. She spent most of the first class staring at the birds on the field.

The instructor is patient and each dog's level is catered to - we are only in the rank beginner's class, after all. Training is based around fod treats (or whatever the dog wants for encouragement, you can use toys or tugs). It has been both fun and useful - necessary for Poppy with her impulse control issues and barking at dogs in the street, but if your grey is well-behaved and you are happy with their current standard of behaviour, not NECESSARY. My previous grey was a honey and she never went to obedience.

Teaching "stay" is another useful thing so they don't bolt out doors etc

I have found both my greys "smart". Convincing them they want to do what you want is another matter but they definitely have the ability. The neversaynevergreyhounds have obedience titles. PS Jen's not selling anything, just a very helpful woman!

It is also good to get the greys out in the community so people see what great dogs they are.

Edited by LuvsGreys

Check out the obedience on youtube with "neversaynever" greyhounds and Jen Batchelor - or better still her blog has all sorts of useful things. I used her technique to teach Poppy to sit and she does lots of other tutorials. Poppy and I have been going to obedience and I am amazed how much her focus on me has improved in three classes. Admittedly, she is still an intermittent performer and bores easily but still, it has been worthwhile. I can see the improvement even if it isn't as rapid as some of the others. She spent most of the first class staring at the birds on the field.

The instructor is patient and each dog's level is catered to - we are only in the rank beginner's class, after all. Training is based around fod treats (or whatever the dog wants for encouragement, you can use toys or tugs). It has been both fun and useful - necessary for Poppy with her impulse control issues and barking at dogs in the street, but if your grey is well-behaved and you are happy with their current standard of behaviour, not NECESSARY. My previous grey was a honey and she never went to obedience.

Teaching "stay" is another useful thing so they don't bolt out doors etc

I have found both my greys "smart". Convincing them they want to do what you want is another matter but they definitely have the ability. The neversaynevergreyhounds have obedience titles. PS Jen's not selling anything, just a very helpful woman!

It is also good to get the greys out in the community so people see what great dogs they are.

I went to Jen Bachelor's blog - really good stuff! Thanks for the reference! I think I'll start here!

I've been doing obedience training with Katie, since I figured that she needed to learn skills to make the world less scary. And, as I recently posted on my trainer's facebook page, my regret now is that I didn't do training with my first bomb-proof girl. Done right, it's just a lot of fun! I don't care if Katie is ever "perfect" at it, or if I have to repeat classes in order to go at her pace. It's been an incredible bonding experience, and it's given me more ways to interact with her. And it keeps ME on my toes, since I have to try and figure out how to teach her whatever new and silly thing I want her to do. The most recent was making an arch out of my body and getting her to walk through it. Yep, an entirely useless thing to do, but I had me and a dog that was looking like she wanted to do something different, and that's what I could think up quickly! Now, we are working on getting her to roll onto her back on command, which is being somewhat challenging.

When you look for an instructor, you want to be very careful on asking them what their training philosophy is. Given that you have an easy dog, I'd go strictly for positive-reinforcement methods. Know what level of obedience you are going to find acceptable, and look for a trainer who is willing to work with you and your dog and not insist that you be a cookie cutter version of everyone else. For example, I tell any new instructor I get that Katie has certain issues (she still shuts down if over-stressed), and that I am perfectly happy if I only do counter-conditioning during class. And they have been perfectly willing to scale back what they expect from her. Which is a good thing, given that her first day of class ever she spent it curled up against a wall doing her best impression of "you can't see me!" And the second class, she made the major step forward of _eating_ while curled up next to the wall trying to be invisible. So yes, I would definitely audit a class before enrolling your dog, and if they do not allow that, find a different class. You want a small class, and you want to see how the instructor deals with the different dogs. How do they handle reactive dogs (because there is likely to be at least one in the class)? Do people actually seem to be having fun? What additional support do they provide (mine will do unlimited phone support, for example). What sort of training equipment do they use/allow?

So, I say take your time, find the right class, and have a lot of fun!

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

I've been doing obedience training with Katie, since I figured that she needed to learn skills to make the world less scary. And, as I recently posted on my trainer's facebook page, my regret now is that I didn't do training with my first bomb-proof girl. Done right, it's just a lot of fun! I don't care if Katie is ever "perfect" at it, or if I have to repeat classes in order to go at her pace. It's been an incredible bonding experience, and it's given me more ways to interact with her. And it keeps ME on my toes, since I have to try and figure out how to teach her whatever new and silly thing I want her to do. The most recent was making an arch out of my body and getting her to walk through it. Yep, an entirely useless thing to do, but I had me and a dog that was looking like she wanted to do something different, and that's what I could think up quickly! Now, we are working on getting her to roll onto her back on command, which is being somewhat challenging.

When you look for an instructor, you want to be very careful on asking them what their training philosophy is. Given that you have an easy dog, I'd go strictly for positive-reinforcement methods. Know what level of obedience you are going to find acceptable, and look for a trainer who is willing to work with you and your dog and not insist that you be a cookie cutter version of everyone else. For example, I tell any new instructor I get that Katie has certain issues (she still shuts down if over-stressed), and that I am perfectly happy if I only do counter-conditioning during class. And they have been perfectly willing to scale back what they expect from her. Which is a good thing, given that her first day of class ever she spent it curled up against a wall doing her best impression of "you can't see me!" And the second class, she made the major step forward of _eating_ while curled up next to the wall trying to be invisible. So yes, I would definitely audit a class before enrolling your dog, and if they do not allow that, find a different class. You want a small class, and you want to see how the instructor deals with the different dogs. How do they handle reactive dogs (because there is likely to be at least one in the class)? Do people actually seem to be having fun? What additional support do they provide (mine will do unlimited phone support, for example). What sort of training equipment do they use/allow?

So, I say take your time, find the right class, and have a lot of fun!

Sorry bout the double post... if someone could delete the copy, that would be great!

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Yes, all greys can sit. I have two that sit without any problems and another who will sit, but you can tell by just looking at her she is uncomfortable. Even had a judge at a trial comment on how uncomfortable she looked! I seldom ask her to sit now that she has her CD.

Training is a wonderful way to bond with your dog. All my dogs get some "training time" several times weekly. They think it is great fun and the only complaints I get is the whining from the two who are waiting for their turn :lol

One of our group members is a Petsmart trainer and has been offering "greyhound only" classes. I took my girl mainly for the bonding time. We had fun learning a few new things as well as playing some games. I am thinking of taking my boy the next time she can do a class in our area.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

One of our group members is a Petsmart trainer and has been offering "greyhound only" classes. I took my girl mainly for the bonding time. We had fun learning a few new things as well as playing some games. I am thinking of taking my boy the next time she can do a class in our area.

I wish we had something like that around here since those classes are affordable! I ruled them out here when the head instructor started arguing with me saying my "wait" command was wrong and that I was confusing Rainy. I needed to use "stay" :rolleyes: Poop on her! I can use "peanut butter and jelly" if I wanted to! It's a verbal que... :P

------

Jessica

The chain store classes are only as good as the instructors. Some are OK, many are worse than mediocre & some are terrible but there are a few who are very good.

:nod

I've heard about people who've had great success with them and some who have not. My cousin enrolled her GSD in a Petsmart class as a pup, and it was a mess. Even with smaller local chains that have just a few trainers, there will be some better than others. I think it's a better idea to pick out an individual trainer you like the sound of, rather than relying on a particular service or pet store than has a few different trainers. You can ask other dog owners in your area who they'd recommend, or do a search for reviews on Yelp or something (I use Yelp for everything!)

And I agree that everyone should do training with their dogs (even if you're not going to go the formal obedience route). Every day if possible! I think it's the most important thing you can do in your relationship with your dog, as it provides them with a sense of purpose and opens up the lines of communication between the both of you. Everyone likes having a job to do!

Edited by mariah

Guest Wasserbuffel
ruled them out here when the head instructor started arguing with me saying my "wait" command was wrong and that I was confusing Rainy. I needed to use "stay" :rolleyes: Poop on her! I can use "peanut butter and jelly" if I wanted to! It's a verbal que... :P

Goodness! What does it matter to the trainer what verbal cue you use? I taught Jayne the "watch me" command with the cue word being "Hey" because DH said he would be much more likely to say "hey" when trying to get the dog's attention. You know what? It works. We say hey and she looks over.

I've actually thought about changing a couple of Jayne's cue words to another language. She wouldn't know any different if we decided to say "staub sauger" (German for vacuum) instead of car. That way I wouldn't get jumped on and punched in the face by a hyper dog when I tell DH I'm taking the car in for an oil change!

ruled them out here when the head instructor started arguing with me saying my "wait" command was wrong and that I was confusing Rainy. I needed to use "stay" :rolleyes: Poop on her! I can use "peanut butter and jelly" if I wanted to! It's a verbal que... :P

Goodness! What does it matter to the trainer what verbal cue you use? I taught Jayne the "watch me" command with the cue word being "Hey" because DH said he would be much more likely to say "hey" when trying to get the dog's attention. You know what? It works. We say hey and she looks over.

I've actually thought about changing a couple of Jayne's cue words to another language. She wouldn't know any different if we decided to say "staub sauger" (German for vacuum) instead of car. That way I wouldn't get jumped on and punched in the face by a hyper dog when I tell DH I'm taking the car in for an oil change!

I just smiled and walked away at that point. :blink: You can't fix stupid. Sunshine recalls to "suuuey" the pig call. :lol Makes me laugh every time... Another thing that annoys me is people who are amazed that I didn't use a trainer. Every interaction with your dog every second of the day is 'training'. B)

------

Jessica

Guest Wasserbuffel

Yeah, I didn't use a trainer either. When I was 15, I trained my pet duck to jump off a dock on command and later was able to teach my cat to touch his paw to my knee for a treat. I figured if I could do that without a trainer then a dog would be a breeze.

You're right about every interaction being "training". I never set out to teach Ritz to jump off the dock. It was just a natural extension of how we played together. Once I dedicated a hand signal (pointing to the lake) I was able to get him to jump reliably . . . for a duck.

Guest Wasserbuffel
I heard you can litter train a duck though! I want one!

Yeah, we heard that too. We tried to train our first little imprints to use a box. They sat in the box making happy duck noises, ate the litter and them pooped on the floor. It could be that they were about 6 months old before we tried to train them, but it never caught on.