Winter Wear?

Guest Arielle

Guest Arielle

Hi again! Sorry to be plaguing the board but I have one more quick question. I've never owned a dog before that wasn't insulated with fur and fat. My grey, Ari, has a little Mizzou jacket that she wears for a walk when it's cold out, but last night she was shaking like a leaf and so I feel like this isn't enough protection anymore. I've been to several different pet stores, and it seems like either they only carry sweaters for little tiny dogs, or the ones that they have for bigger dogs are kind of flimsy and don't seem like enough protection for twenty degree weather. I would hate to give up our walks because of the cold. Does anyone else have a winter coat for their hound, and if so where did you get it? Thanks!

I'm not sure where you live but Chilly Dogs is in Canada (they ship to the US though) and we have 2 of them and Houndstown is in the US and we also have 2 of them. We also have 3 Zentec coats but they are expensive and I've never seen anyone on GT with them.

You'll get lots of suggestions.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Look in the Merchandise section of GT. There are several people who make coats for greyhounds in there, from double fleece to really heavy coats depending on where you live.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Iceman41

I also posted the very same question a few months back.

I live in a very small spec on the map near Pitts pa.

I just got a storm coat an 4 legged PJs at nonudehounds.com

Best bet is to go to there web site and than call the lady with the number they provide.

She is very nice I an wife spoke to her for over an hour and a half.

She hand makes every thing

Good luck

i have a voyager coat(winter), ultra warm coat by sueshappytails.com(reasonable and super warm), took my old down vest and altered it to fit my male, gooby puffy coat(lighter than the voyager but keeps the chest warm), halemar fleece lined coat felix used w/ a mock when he was a puppy,and jammies by sueshappytails. i alternate, layer and dress them according to how long we are going to be out and how windy. a chest panel starting at the front and wraping under the dog keeps them warmer than just a belly band. you too will start collecting coats!

be attentive, when you bundle your dog up and start really moving they get hot!

sue makes everything to order and will discuss your dog's needs. she lives up in burrrrr....buffalo, ny.

Edited by cleptogrey

I found the information on Greyt Gear by MJ www.greytgear.com Their phone number is: 772-480-1683 They make winter coats, rain coats, fleeces, vests, and flannel jackets/pajamas I highly recommend their work and their prices. They made jackets for all three of mine and I am VERY happy with them. Please check them out.

Summit has a huge wardrobe. Most of them I made myself (probably 4 that I've made) and are different thicknesses. Maggie (YamahaGirl) also made him a heavy coat last year. He has a rain coat that is non-greyhound specific that I bought at the pet store... it only fits okay but I bought it because it was 75% off. He also has a knitted sweater from Chilly Dogs.

Oh, and he has PJs that I made him, but he only wears those in the house in the dead of winter when it's cold inside (we live in a nice basement apartment but the temperature controls are all upstairs in our landlord's part of the house and if he's not home he can't adjust it obviously!).

I like the looks of the Chilly Dogs coats.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest IrskasMom

I also posted the very same question a few months back.I live in a very small spec on the map near Pitts pa.I just got a storm coat an 4 legged PJs at nonudehounds.comBest bet is to go to there web site and than call the lady with the number they provide.She is very nice I an wife spoke to her for over an hour and a half.She hand makes every thingGood luck

NoNude Hounds has very warm (double Fleece) Coats and lighter ones. Well made and you can call and talk to her.

We've been using coats from Voyageurs Greyhound Apparel for 9 years now. I think they'll last forever! They are very warm, with a fleece underside and wind/water repellent outer side.

I think perhaps "very warm" to some may mean just warm to some. Arielle, where are you located? Perhaps that might indicate how many layers you need.

Here in Canada, the voyager with one layer of fleece and one layer of shell would be ok for 32 degrees fahrenheit. However for anything colder, and we go out for walks even in 5 degrees fahrenheit, we need at least double the protection.

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

I also posted the very same question a few months back.

I live in a very small spec on the map near Pitts pa.

I just got a storm coat an 4 legged PJs at nonudehounds.com

Best bet is to go to there web site and than call the lady with the number they provide.

She is very nice I an wife spoke to her for over an hour and a half.

She hand makes every thing

Good luck

Kerry is great--she does make nice coats. But all the Greyhound vendors "hand make" their coats. Ready made coats, even if you can find one large enough, rarely fit Greyhounds.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest burgerandfrey

Etsy.com is a good resource for custom handmade greyhound coats. All the good ones ask you to take several measurements so the coat is a good fit. We got a couple from this vender: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AcmeCouture

They are a little pricey but well made. One of the coats was a little short on our male (you can tell from the photo below), and she sent us a new coat to try and we just sent back the one that was too small. Lola literally stops traffic with her faux fur collar:

752683065_eZhJR-L.jpg

Etsy.com is a good resource for custom handmade greyhound coats. All the good ones ask you to take several measurements so the coat is a good fit. We got a couple from this vender: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AcmeCouture

They are a little pricey but well made. One of the coats was a little short on our male (you can tell from the photo below), and she sent us a new coat to try and we just sent back the one that was too small. Lola literally stops traffic with her faux fur collar:

752683065_eZhJR-L.jpg

OMG. I am SO getting one of the 'Diva' coats for Brandi!!!

Edited by Brandiandwe

Guest burgerandfrey

OMG. I am SO getting one of the 'Diva' coats for Brandi!!!

It's a great coat :-) It has held up well and is thick enough to keep Lola warm on long walks, but where we live (Bellingham, Washington) it rarely gets down to freezing so most of the time Lola is wearing a lighter rain slicker. When we walk her around in this coat, especially going through the shopping district to the park on the bay, she gets a lot of attention! Of course greyhounds always attract attention, but with this coat cars slow down to look, strangers ask if they can take her photo, and other dog owners ask where we got the coat.

Guest JustGreyt05

Another vote for NeedleNose Apparel! I couldn't be happier with Dylan's coat. I even requested a custom buckle and they included that perfectly!

I also couldn't be happier with Dylan's jammies from Cozy Coats and More! Pam does excellent work! Here is a picture of Dylan right now enjoying his jams!

384854_597953196342_150100199_32393079_1558233127_n.jpg

Guest Greylove74

752683065_eZhJR-L.jpg

This is the most beautiful coat I have ever seen. Thank you for the link!!!