13.5 Yr. Old Grey Won't Eat

Guest lunabelle

Guest lunabelle

At the risk of sounding insensitive, could it be that at 13.5 yrs Luna is trying to tell you that she's had enough? I know how hard this time is for you because I've BTDT. :bighug

I think she very well may have been trying to tell us just that. Please see my successsive post on our dear girl. We are going to help her to The Bridge at 6 p.m. tonight though letting her go is truly about to kill both my husband and I. We will miss her so dreadfully but Luna's comfort must be our first priority. She's now having a very hard time getting up and last night, her hindquarters collapsed into her own pool of urine on our back deck.

She would *hate* that.

I am so very sorry :( When my 12.5 yr old stopped eating, I tried everything, and she just wouldn't eat. I realized she was done, and let her go. It is one of the hardest things we have to do for them :bighug

Thanks so much for your kind words. It is indeed the hardest thing we have to do for these beautiful trusting creatures. Not having Luna will leave a huge hole in our hearts and our home but we must do what's best for her, as she would for us if she could. She now can barely get up.

Mary :crying

I am so very sorry. Luna, you and your husband are in my thoughts. Rest well, beautiful girlie.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest lunabelle

I am so very sorry. Luna, you and your husband are in my thoughts. Rest well, beautiful girlie.

Thank you so much. And yes, for all she's given us (if nothing else), Luna :angel deserves that eternal rest. But God, we'll miss her so very much.

Mary :brokenheart

I'm so sorry. I wish you peace & strength & Luna a peaceful passage. grouphug.gif

(We would love to know more about her if you'd like to tell us.)

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest lunabelle

I understand how difficult this is, Mary, and my heart goes out to you and your family. Luna landed in the right home with you folks. Love on her and let her see your smile.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

We've so loved Luna Belle :angel . Thank you for your kindness here.

Mary :crying

Edited by lunabelle

Guest lunabelle

I'm so sorry. I wish you peace & strength & Luna a peaceful passage. grouphug.gif

(We would love to know more about her if you'd like to tell us.) Luna came from Greyhound Friends of N.C. and once was the winningest grey ("Star") at the Naples-Ft. Myers Kennel Club. We got her in early 2002 when she was 4. She lived with whippets in our home and did very well with them.

I'm sorry to hear :( You can only do so much. We cannot "fix" everything and I know how much it hurts :grouphug

No, we sure can't fix everything though I so wish we could with Luna

Mary :sad1:crying

Edited by lunabelle

Guest FreddyGirl

Oh Mary, I am so sorry that you will be saying good bye to your precious baby girl. I know personally how difficult this decision is when it is the only decision that is in the best interest of your baby girl. How nice that she will be able to pass with her family in the comfort of her home.

Thank you for loving your baby girl and giving her your final gift of love. My Angel Bobbi will meet her and welcome her.

Another angel gets her wings. Godspeed Luna. :angelwings

At the risk of sounding insensitive, could it be that at 13.5 yrs Luna is trying to tell you that she's had enough? I know how hard this time is for you because I've BTDT. :bighug

I think she very well may have been trying to tell us just that. Please see my successsive post on our dear girl. We are going to help her to The Bridge at 6 p.m. tonight though letting her go is truly about to kill both my husband and I. We will miss her so dreadfully but Luna's comfort must be our first priority. She's now having a very hard time getting up and last night, her hindquarters collapsed into her own pool of urine on our back deck.

She would *hate* that.

Mary I am so sorry that you are going through this. I have gone through the same thing and it just plain blows. Knowing that you are doing the right thing doesn't make it any easier. My thought are with you lady. :bighug

I am so sorry. Try to take some comfort in knowing that Luna knew she was loved. You did everything you could do for her. :grouphug

Godspeed Luna, run with all the angels. :candle

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest lunabelle

I am so very sorry. She was beautiful as is your love for her.

Luna :angelwings deserved every single thing we gave her and more. She may have been the sweetest gentlest creature ever put on this earth.

Guest lunabelle

I am so sorry. Try to take some comfort in knowing that Luna knew she was loved. You did everything you could do for her. :grouphug

Godspeed Luna, run with all the angels. :candle

Thank you. We know we did everything we could for this dear girl but damn it, we already miss Luna :angel more than I can describe.

Guest lunabelle

:grouphug Hugs to you Mary on the loss of your beautiful girl Luna.

Thank you for your kind words about our beloved Luna :angelwings . Though we know we did the right thing for her last night, as I'm sure you know we are in an agony of grief today :crying .

Edited by lunabelle

Guest lunabelle

I am so, so sorry.. :cry1 Luna is such a fortunate, fortunate girl to have such a caring, dedicated mom. Sending prayers and white light for you, Luna and your husband.

I am so sorry. :(:heart:grouphug

Actually, we were the ones who were lucky to have Luna :kiss2 in our home all these years. She passed peacefully at home with us and her whippet sisters at 6 p.m. last night :brokenheart We already miss her so horribly. I feel like someone's torn my heart in two though know we made the right decision for Luna :angelwings. This morning she did not have to wake up hungry from not eating.

Edited by lunabelle

Guest lunabelle

She would *hate* that.

It does indeed blow completely. I keep telling myself that we did everything possible for our exquisite Luna but somehow that's not yet any consolation to me. When we came home a little while ago and she wasn't at the window :brokenheart with her ticked ears stuck up in greeting (though she's actually been too sick to do that for a while now), I completely fell apart. When she was dying, I kept whispering in her ear that I would give my right arm to make her all better again.

Mary :weep

Mary I am so sorry that you are going through this. I have gone through the same thing and it just plain blows. Knowing that you are doing the right thing doesn't make it any easier. My thought are with you lady. :bighug

Guest lunabelle

so sorry (((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))

Thank you so very much. The last few days have been unspeakably hard but at least we now know poorLuna is no longer hungry, in pain, and certainly uncomfortable.

That said, we are grieving for her deeply today. Our beautiful girl is irreplaceable.

:grouphug Just hugs.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Canned tripe. It smells awful (to us), but most dogs will eat it even if they ignore other things.

Ditto to the tripe.

So sorry to hear the sad news. You are doing the right thing.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Guest lunabelle

Canned tripe. It smells awful (to us), but most dogs will eat it even if they ignore other things.

Ditto to the tripe.

So sorry to hear the sad news. You are doing the right thing.

Thank you so much. It was excruciatingly painful to decide to let our beloved girl go. Since Tuesday night, I don't think I've gone so much as an hour without crying. We all (including my husband and our two whippets) miss Luna :gh_run2:heart so much. But we absolutely could not have let our white angel :angelwings suffer any more. Not eating and whatever kind of cancer Luna had already had begun to turn her into a skeleton. And since she couldn't/wouldn't eat, I'm sure she felt terrible. As our beloved girl was dying, I whispered in her ear that I would cut off my right arm if that could make her healthy and happy again. And I meant it.

I'm so glad Luna is no longer suffering. Our family was so privileged to have her in our lives since 2002.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest verthib

What if those are all signs that she is ready to cross the bridge? I know sometimes we as humans don't want to accept it but it is inevitable. And releasing them from any suffering is a gift we can give them. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Guest happygrey

I'm so sorry that you had to help Luna to the bridge. I'm sure the loss is terrible. I loved the pictures you posted of her in your links. She was a beauty. :f_white

Guest lunabelle

You're so right, John. I''m afraid our beloved girl had just run out of gas. God bless her pure and gentle soul. It's two weeks since Luna :angelwings passed but we're both still mourning her so deeply. :brokenheart

I'm so sorry that you had to help Luna to the bridge. I'm sure the loss is terrible. I loved the pictures you posted of her in your links. She was a beauty. :f_white

She was as sweet as she was beautiful. We miss our Lu so very much. :weep