I'm A Convert

Feisty49

I've had Annie Bella since mid-July of this year. She came to me with soft stools that got progressively softer as time went on until they were no longer formed stools and what came out was softer than soft ice cream. I was feeding her Eagle Pack. She was worm positive but meds did the trick and being clean was determined by three follow-up tests, over a few weeks, all of which came back negative.

In the meantime, I put her on a bland diet of rice and chicken, which helped a little bit for a short while. She did a couple of rounds of Metronidazole. Her stools got a bit better but they weren't even as good as when I first got her. The vet put her on Purina Gastroenteric EN prescription food and that helped quite a bit but her stools were still soft and often soft ice cream soft.

So I bought Iams in the green bag and have been feeding her half 'script food and half Iams at each meal. Within 3 days, Annie's stools were perfect and have continued this way for more than a week. They are formed. They don't merge together when they hit the ground because they are not soft. She has an easier time doing her business because it comes out easier and when she's done, she's done, instead of having to keep the position waiting for more soft stuff.

I am an Iams convert and intend to continue with it as well as, at least for a while, using the prescription food.

Green bag Iams here too. :) Well, except for Harold and Pudge on kidney rx food.

I tried many of the fancier/pricier/natural foods that are mentioned on GT. Iams was the only one that kept Gracie's poop firm and got rid of her gas. It works for her so we'll keep using it.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

good for you! Once upon a time when I was new to dogs and msg boards I really came to believe that I was 'doing my hounds wrong' if I didn't feed them the best high end kibble I also incorporated supplements and veggies and......WOW! It got to the point that I was spending more time and money on feeding my dogs than myself.

When the economy tanked and all that high end stuff was not affordable I went back to the basics. It turns out my hounds to absolutely fine with Purina One Chicken and Rice. They get about 4 cups a day each. Their coats are shiny and soft, they have plenty of energy, their poops are solid.

signed,

a reformed food snob

I had a similar problem with Ginger. We bought a bag of what they had at the kennel (forget the name right now) and she had diarrhea that got progressively worse and by the 3rd or 4th day it was water. She had 2 accidents in her crate (which she was so upset about I had to try and console her the whole time I'm knee deep in...well you know). So on advice from our GH friends (tg for them all) we put her on rice and chicken or ground beef which helped a lot. The vet had us put her on some low density bland prescription stuff that she did great on. So now we're slowly (very slowly) switching her to Iams Lamb and rice (red bag) and so far so good. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I've heard/read a couple of times that a lot of the GH's never have really solid poops and that firm is good so if I get firm poops from her I'm happy.

Brooks%20Leatherworks%20Greytalk_zpsqf7j

Guest greyers

I've heard/read a couple of times that a lot of the GH's never have really solid poops and that firm is good so if I get firm poops from her I'm happy.

I think greys are definitely more prone to looser stools and have more sensitive tummies than many breeds, but I DO believe that almost all greys can have good poop if the right formula is found for them. Its just that finding the "right" one is tough!!

:blink:

Any long time GTer knows that my epitath should read "...then I tossed a green bag of Iams in the cart..." :P

I went to hell and back with Rex and his stomach. Standing script for Flagyl, limited ingredient foods, novel protein foods, etc. Nothing worked. I had fed Iams years ago before those "in the know" lectured me about cheap foods and the demon corn. I finally got so frustrated that I tossed that bag in the cart and called it a day. It was life changing for Rex and I still feed it to everyone but Poodle. Not because its cheap but because it works.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Both our boys did phenomenal on the green Iams bag. Until Kasey became allergic to nearly everything on the listing. Ryder still does well, but there was a shortage not too long ago which made us have to switch and we haven't gone back yet. It's good stuff!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Any long time GTer knows that my epitath should read "...then I tossed a green bag of Iams in the cart..." :P

I went to hell and back with Rex and his stomach. Standing script for Flagyl, limited ingredient foods, novel protein foods, etc. Nothing worked. I had fed Iams years ago before those "in the know" lectured me about cheap foods and the demon corn. I finally got so frustrated that I tossed that bag in the cart and called it a day. It was life changing for Rex and I still feed it to everyone but Poodle. Not because its cheap but because it works.

Your "epitaph" is what I did remember when it came to buying Iams in Green Bag. I will probably continue with half 'script foodies and half Iams. It's what's working and honestly it makes it easier for Annie Bella. Previously it was like she didn't know if she was done doing P#2 and would spend a lot of time squatting...walking a little bit... squatting again.. walk .. squat. Now she does it and is done!

Similar experience here, used Purina One until they changed their recipie to the shredded blends and it was no longer tolerated well. Used Iams naturals and we were good to go again, but i wouldn't hesitate to use the green bag if the naturals wasn't available!

Guest Melissa516

As Mike said, we're now feeding Ginger IAMS Proactive Health Adult Lamb Meal & Rice (as per our vet's recommendation). It comes in a red bag.

When we brought her home, she arrived with a bag of Avoderm Lamb & Rice. This did not seem to agree with her at all.

So, I'm wondering if we'd be better off with the "green bag" IAMS. But, looking at the IAMS website, there are several foods that come in green bags. Which one exactly are you guys all raving about? :colgate

The green bag we've used most often is Adult Mini-Chunks. I think it's now called ProActive Health Adult Mini-Chunks or something along those lines. My current IAMS dog does very well on the red bag (Lamb & Rice).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Proactive Health is what I feed. I have bought both regular bites and mini chunks -- it's the same food just different size.. My guys have like the little bites best (even the big dogs).

This is what I bought, including the mini chunks. Experimentation with dog biscuits and food sizes showed me that Annie Bella prefers smaller-sized things to chew.

Guest Swifthounds

Band-Aid in a Bag. :). Beet pulp will have that effect and if you put enough of it in the food, you can easily pile on loads of ingredients that are gut irritating to a dog to meet your AAFCO standards. Very smart on P&Gs part.

Beet pulp is cheap and you can add a bit into any hound diet if you want to lessen symptoms of a gut issue, though maybe not for the same overall price point.

Guest pinky425

Iams is what we feed Crash (our grey) and Riki (our chihuahua). When we first got Riki (a rescue from the pound), they told us to put her on Purina Little Bites. We had her on that for quite a while. Sometimes she was fine, other times it would make her have the big D and/or throw up. When I went home for Christmas, we didn't bring food but bought at home. They didn't have a small bag of her normal food (she goes through a 4 or 5 pound bag every 3 months or so!) so we tried Beneful. Never any tummy problems. I didn't notice but she put on almost 3 pounds while my hubby was deployed for a few months earlier this year. My parents visited and said she had gotten fat. When I weighed her I about had a heart attack when I saw that she put on half her body weight again in such a short period! She also started having trouble with stairs and getting on the furniture. I switched her to the purple bag of Iams (senior formula) and started really measuring it. Since we switched to the Iams, never any issues with tummy and between losing back to her normal weight and the extra stuff for her joints in the senior formula, she's back to her old self. We've been feeding Crash the green bag of Iams and I've been adding some pumpkin to help his stools. Went from water when I got him to almost perfect poops in the week and a half since I brought him home. I know Iams isn't the "best" food out there, but both our dogs do awesome on it so I'm a firm believer of it! (After reading the grades for food, I would NEVER feed them Beneful again BTW, but Riki definitely liked it!)

Count me as another one who threw the bag into the cart with Pam's post in my head. Jack was the same way, soft poop, would squat and 'travel' a couple of feet, leaving poops along the way. It's still not perfect, but way better than it was. The odd thing is that sometimes it's firm, and other times it's not. Why would that be?? I am talking during the same day.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

The odd thing is that sometimes it's firm, and other times it's not. Why would that be?? I am talking during the same day.

Poodle has never had poop or gut problems but if we go for a big walk he wants to leave a deposit for me to pick up at houses where the big yard dogs talk smack to him -- pee isn't enough. If there are a few his poops get looser and looser. It's like he is conjuring up poop he doesn't have. :dunno

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest greyers

The odd thing is that sometimes it's firm, and other times it's not. Why would that be?? I am talking during the same day.

Poodle has never had poop or gut problems but if we go for a big walk he wants to leave a deposit for me to pick up at houses where the big yard dogs talk smack to him -- pee isn't enough. If there are a few his poops get looser and looser. It's like he is conjuring up poop he doesn't have. :dunno

We call this "excited poop" in our house. Even with the BEST, firmiest most perfect initial poop, later there will be a poop that just wasn't ready but the dog felt the need to leave.... thus the "excited poop".

I have often thought it was sort of like that--the desire to go just a BIT more....like it's not 'ready' yet, but Jack is forcing it out. :lol All of my dogs have done this on walks, but Jack doesn't go for walks (due to our location, and his blasted CORNS), he does this IN THE YARD.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Iam's mini chunks all the way. Tried changing to other "better" foods and ended up with the big D. After trying everything to get rid of the big D I finally decided to go back to Iams. No big D! Their coats are soft and shinny. No dander. No digestive problems. Good energy level.

Winter I do add oil to their food and several times a week add crock pot chicken cooked with various veggies, but I have to admit I think I do it as much for me as for them. They do fine on just the Iams.

Iam's mini chunks all the way. Tried changing to other "better" foods and ended up with the big D. After trying everything to get rid of the big D I finally decided to go back to Iams. No big D! Their coats are soft and shinny. No dander. No digestive problems. Good energy level.

Winter I do add oil to their food and several times a week add crock pot chicken cooked with various veggies, but I have to admit I think I do it as much for me as for them. They do fine on just the Iams.

Don't know if they have this where any of you live, but some stores here have a special bonus. buy 4 bags get a coupon for 1 bag free. I get 44# for about $32.99. This has been in place for about 6 months now. The store does do large volume sales.

I fed Annie Bella Iams mini chunks exclusively for two days and it became difficult for her to poop (too hard/constipated?). :blush I'm back to feeding her half and half at each meal: 'script foodies and the Iams. That makes it just perfect. :lol