Dry Dog Food Prices

MaryJane

With the storm causing a power outage I couldn't make my dogs their usual home-made food and had to resort to picking up some dry dog food at the store and I went with one that I used with fosters which is the Natural Balance Sweet potato and Venison (Limited Ingredient) -- Less than 4 years ago this was about 1.68 a pound and now it's 2.66 a pound ($40 for 15 pounds) :eek

Did all dry dog foods increase this much over the last few years or was it just this brand and flavor?

Guest Swifthounds

Just about all of them have gone up in price. Most of those that haven't had a price increase either reformulated or adjusted where they're sourcing their ingredients.

Luckily the Natural Balance seemed to have worked out OK during my power outage as neither of the dogs have had GI issues on the food, at least so far.

So .. while it has increased quite a bit in price from the time of my research, I'd still probably use it for my fosters with GI issues.

Taste of the Wild is around $43.00 for 35 lbs. Da Vid quit eating Natural Balance and has been happy on Taste of the Wild for a year. Also, after you buy 12 bags, they send you a coupon for a free 35 lb. bag. Pretty good deal. They also do this on canned food.

The California Natural I feed mine keeps going up a little at a time (Lizzie's Herring and Sweet Potato has always been a little higher). I haven't figured out the per pound price but am always stunned when they total up the four 30 lb. bags I buy once a month!!! Inova does give a free bag coupon after 10 but that's only good until the end of this month. They're all eating so well now and it seems to suit their digestive systems, I don't want to switch.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

The California Natural I feed mine keeps going up a little at a time (Lizzie's Herring and Sweet Potato has always been a little higher). I haven't figured out the per pound price but am always stunned when they total up the four 30 lb. bags I buy once a month!!! Inova does give a free bag coupon after 10 but that's only good until the end of this month. They're all eating so well now and it seems to suit their digestive systems, I don't want to switch.

California Natural, and Innova have frequent buyer programs. :)

I know it seems expensive, but at least with these foods, people can often feed a reduced quantity (vs. some other foods) since the nutrient density is higher. Not to mention the benefit of dealing with smaller solid stools! :colgate

Noticed that even the Costco brand of the Chicken,Rice and Veggie has gone up too. I think it was $25.49 when I was there a few weeks ago getting stuff.

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

Guest cleosmum

i use Wagg Beef and Veg Coimplete, this is the only that suits Cleo, though when we have fish and chips, she loves this, so we always save her a little, especially the fish

The store I purchase my Iam's from has a purchase bonus. Not all stores have this and I have to drive some distance to go to a store that does, but I go that way often enough that if I plan ahead I don't have to make a special trip.

Iam's mini chunks: 44# bag for $32.99 buy 4 get coupon for one free. I think the large breed is $35.99 with the same deal.

I've tried other brands and this is what works best for my girls.

Guest KennelMom

We are at 50 dollars a bag for TOTW here, 32 pounds I think :(

yeah...i think they just raised their price. Ken bought a bag b/c he was at Tractor Supply and we were low on Dash's kibble and I was like - :headwall It's so much cheaper to feed the Nature's Domain from Costco. Oh well, she's on TOTW until that runs out now and we'll probably go back to ND. Not sure TOTW is worth the extra $.

When we fed TOTW to the entire crew, we did get a discount for buying 20+ bags at time. Might be a little much for the average owner though :lol

Edited by KennelMom

Guest 4dogscrazy

We are at 50 dollars a bag for TOTW here, 32 pounds I think :(

yeah...i think they just raised their price. Ken bought a bag b/c he was at Tractor Supply and we were low on Dash's kibble and I was like - :headwall It's so much cheaper to feed the Nature's Domain from Costco. Oh well, she's on TOTW until that runs out now and we'll probably go back to ND. Not sure TOTW is worth the extra $.

When we fed TOTW to the entire crew, we did get a discount for buying 20+ bags at time. Might be a little much for the average owner though :lol

Ugh with four dogs it's getting tough...but over the summer I switched them to purina one and had a host of problems. Hot spots, licking feet, and fancy chewed her fur off her sides :( only one was fine and that was piper. The vet bills were waaayyyy more than what I saved for those few months.