Bare Spot On Upper Tail?

Guest SusanP

Dr. Doug is 11. In the last year, he has gradually developed a bare spot, roughly 3" across, on his upper tail. The skin is not at all inflamed, but the fur seems almost eaten away. When I asked the vet about it, she suggested he has been licking it. Only he's not. I've been watching him like a hawk for a months now, and I've *never* seen him lick or chew at that area. I asked the vet again in passing during an appt. for something else, and she didn't seem too concerned, but the patch seems to be growing. Otherwise, all his fur is soft and beautiful. What can cause a spot like this, and what should our vet be doing to diagnose it? I don't know whether or not to be worried.

Ours came with a bald spot on his upper tail, not as big as yours, about an inch long. I've never seen him lick it, either. There are a number of dogs in our walking club that have the same thing. I've heard there is some kind of gland there, but it's funny that your boy only developed it recently.

Sounds like "stud tail" and it's not a problem. Dogs have a scent gland (precaudal gland) in their tails. Some dogs will bald where it is and some don't. All my neutered males have had it.

Run a search for "stud" in this forum and there are several threads.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Yup, sounds like stud tail. Turbo had it, but my new boy doesn't. Of course, he's only 2, so he may get it yet :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest BlueCrab

Yup yup. Miss Trixie's got it and it's quite bald in fact. DH has always been worried about it, but when I finally told him - again - what it was, but this time in front of the vet and the vet agreed immediatley, DH finally took my word for it. He's a lovely man. Married 21 years. Perhaps when we get to 30 years or so he'll start to believe me when I tell him things... :rolleyes:

Both Carl and Claire have had it. They've disappeared since I've been using melatonin (not to get rid of the stud tail).

Be careful, you don't want to be guilty of using melatonin for cosmetic reasons. :rolleyes:;):lol :lol

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

We have one of those as well. Is this a greyhound thing or is it common to all breeds? tia.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.