Feeding A Dog With No Teeth?

Guest zombrie

Guest zombrie

I am bringing home a foster broodie on saturday and she only has her canines and front teeth left.

Do I feed her kibble and let it really soak with water? Or will she need a special diet?

Guest mirthlesstroll

I would just soak the kibble in hot water until it gets mushy, and let her go to town. Dogs don't really chew anyway. At least, mine don't....

Guest zombrie

I would just soak the kibble in hot water until it gets mushy, and let her go to town. Dogs don't really chew anyway. At least, mine don't....

Very true! I don't notice my dogs chewing either. Thanks :)

Paul only has 5 teeth left, and is going to lose two more. :( After the dental, when he was sore, he ate soft food. Now he eats everything and anything. He eats small biscuits and I mix his kibble with pumpkin and just a little water. Pieces are easier to pick up sometimes than mush.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

My broodie had very few teeth - wet the food and that's all she needed. I didn't even let it soak for very long, she'd eat it without much chewing anyway.

I think you'll just have to experiment and see how she does. If she's more inclined to chew, then you may need to let it soak or use canned food.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest KennelMom

Erin came to us with only one canine tooth...Champ had his canines and front teeth only. Both ate kibble that was just wet down with some water, not soaked or mushy. Mushy was actually a lot harder and more frustrating for them to eat.

Noelle only has those teeth & can srull eat small kibble but I do wet her food as it has to be predigested with enzymes. She can still bite her brother when he gets too snarky with her-surprised him the first time too!

This made me chuckle. Princess was known for biting unruly fosters on the butt. :lol They would get a nice wet spot on the rump and learned to leave the grumpy lady alone.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest greyers

Jimmy James had no teeth that lined up the last year of his life and dealt with it just fine. I always soak my kibble and would do a bit longer with his and he gulped it with no issues.

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

My dog just lost the back teeth and she is eating well with moistening the kibble and adding a little canned dog food. My problem is that she is used to getting milk bone dog biskets and they are too hard for her to chew with no teeth. Any recommendations???

We got some treats that look like a human cookies and she is able to break them apart (crumble) with her front teeth which she can eat but wife can't remember who she bought them from (some dog friendly org--they were home made).

Cal (also a broodie) has only her four canines. I put water on her kibble, but it isn't especially warm, and it only sits for a couple of minutes at most while I get supplements and meds organized. She eats it without any trouble. Well, actually, a lot escapes out the sides of her mouth, so I nest the bowl in her bedding so kibble doesn't fly out of her crate. But she gets it all eventually. :)

My dog just lost the back teeth and she is eating well with moistening the kibble and adding a little canned dog food. My problem is that she is used to getting milk bone dog biskets and they are too hard for her to chew with no teeth. Any recommendations???

You can break them into kibble-size bits, but it's a lot easier with the smaller bones.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Erin came to us with only one canine tooth...Champ had his canines and front teeth only. Both ate kibble that was just wet down with some water, not soaked or mushy. Mushy was actually a lot harder and more frustrating for them to eat.

I agree with this. My boy Phantom only had a couple of teeth left by the time he went to the bridge. We didn't change much with his food as he had more and more teeth removed, and he adapted just fine (although we were tempted to build a plexi-glass tent for him to eat in, because the kibbles would shoot out all over the place). I have no idea how, but he still managed to enjoy a bone every now and then!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Guest Bean_Scotch

Pawn has lost 13 teeth so far. She eats regular dry dog food. She was eating regular dry dog food the same day she had her dental done with no issues.

Guest BlingDogs

Try Halo's Spots Stew- After Dory had her teeth out we didn't want her to hurt her gums by chewing. The kibbles are tiny- like cat food kibbles- She just inhales them!

Guest Grhndad

When we had our momma dog she didn't have a tooth in her head and ate plain kibble, milk bones and almost anything that wouldn't eat her. :) I don't know when she had her teeth removed as she didn't have any when we got her 6 months after she had her last litter.