Tooth Brushing And Bleeding

I have been brushing Ruby's teeth since we got her and her teeth look beautiful. She also gets turkey necks, chicken backs and an occasional crunchy treat. I brush her teeth about 4-5 times a week and the last few days have noticed that her teeth are bloody after brushing. I haven't changed toothpaste or anything so I am worried. She has had recent blood work so I know she does not have any issues there. Any ideas as to what is going on ?

Karen

Hmmm, if they weren't bleeding before but they are now....sounds odd. Usually they bleed when you start brushing, then the gums toughen up and the bleeding subsides.....how old is she now?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

if gums are bleeding,it usually means they are inflamed. I would continue to gently brush to try and keep them healthy along with the other things you give her. Sometimes, people who floss say the floss cuts their gums, but it doesn't. The gums bleed because of the inflamation and need more care to cure gingivitis.. So I imagine this is the same with dogs. Brooke's bleed too but I still brush. Imagine how bad they could get if you didn't brush.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest itsagreytlife

Sorry, don't have any ideas about the bleeding. But I am curious, how often do you feed her the turkey necks and chicken backs? Am starting a bit of this with my girl for the dental benefits and sounds like you have had success with it.

Thanks!

Usually she gets a chicken back 2 times a week and a turkey neck, cut in half and frozen, once a week. I rarely give her milkbone type treats.

What is strange is her gums do not look inflamed or red. I use a soft toothbrush that I soak in warm water and use enzymatic toothpaste especially for dogs. I have wondered about using that spray (name isn't coming to me) on the days I don't brush.

Karen

once in awhile I have one pup or another that has slight bleeding when I brush their teeth,,, I just continue to brush them,,, I use a sonic toothbrush ,, I notice this happens after they have had a bully stick or an ox tail,, just thought the bleeding was caused by the heavy chewing of the treat :)

Guest Keystone

I had this problem with my Indian, who had a dental when I got him about a year ago. Had another dental done, brush daily and use biotine gel afterwards. No bleeding now and no tartar build up.