Do Male Dogs Leak Urine In Their Sleep?

I suspect some of the wet spots I've found on Harold's bed are not licking spots and might be from leaking urine instead.

I've read about females leaking in their sleep but I don't think I've read here of males that have.

Poor Harold (age 12.5) may have to wear a belly band at night.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

A friend's young male dog had that problem. I think with medication he was fine. Let me ask her about it and get back to you. I hope in the remaining time others will chime in to help out. Maybe Attila's problem was tick related?

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Ed has a 8 or 9 year old Boston Terrier who started to leak in his sleep. Vet prescribed Proin and the problem was solved. Carl & Claire are both 8, knock on wood...no leaking.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Does he drink a lot? Wasn't he losing some protein in his urine? Kidney issues, high blood pressure, and several other things could contribute to some leakage; you wouldn't want to use Proin for those!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yes definitely. Both Quiet Man and Ducky leaked urine in their sleep occasionally and for different reasons.

Jennifer what kind of treatment did you use for them?

Does he drink a lot? Wasn't he losing some protein in his urine? Kidney issues, high blood pressure, and several other things could contribute to some leakage; you wouldn't want to use Proin for those!

Normal drinking and normal regular urinating. I had a workup done on Harold not long ago. At first we thought there was a kidney issue but then when I brought the vet a true clean catch specimen, his values were normal.

Tonight Harold will be wearing a belly band. We'll see if the Pee Fairy visits........

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Coltrane had serious issues with this a few years ago. Proin decreased the output from a puddle to small dribbles. I ended up taking him to a homeopathic vet that recommended some supplements that actually cured it. (We weaned him off the supps after a few weeks.) Good luck...

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Harold is definitely leaking urine when he sleeps. He has no problem during the day. When we are home he has plenty of opportunities to go outside. When we are at work he wears a belly band. I'm home within 5 1/2 hours. Some days the band is dry, sometimes not. I'd say water consumption is normal.

Harold has an appointment with the vet tomorrow afternoon. I'll bring a fresh catch of urine just in case he needs a test done. His last urinalysis was normal in July with only a very slightly uptick in protein and not unusual for his age.

I also noticed a red spot on one eye in the white area. Not just a broken blood vessel. If I look at it from a certain angle it is raised up like a pimple. At least he isn't fussing with it.

tiny hada siggy.png

Well, the red bump on his eye was just a broken blood vessel. No biggy.

Harold's fresh catch urine sample has been sent to a lab and we'll get results tomorrow.

Vet thought the urine smelled funny, like perhaps this was an infection. No meds yet until we know what's going on.

tiny hada siggy.png