Please Help With Diesel's Diagnosis

Guest Dl7265

Guest Dl7265

My 11 year old boy Diesel, began urinating in the crate while I was at work about 2 weeks ago. It was sporadic and I was not initially concerned. He has always easily gone 10-12 hours. I left early last week and was home in 7 hours and he had already gone. Also when going out he would walk very slowly , instead of running me over as usual.

I took him to the vet and the inital diagnosis was kidney infection and we were given zeniquin 100mg. Also more alarming he had lost 8lbs in the past 2 months, and was down to 65lbs. He has averaged 73 the past few years with a low of 68 and high of 80.

The sent of for a full thyroid panel ( all 4 test) and called today to say he has hypothyroidism. , also he has a High amount of Protein in his urine.

Naturally, I've read that this is often mis diagnosed in Greyhounds. So I'm not sure if i should proceed with the medications they want him to be on..

I do not yet know the numbers from the test to examine until tomorrow. He came to me in '04 with heart worms and hookworms but had successful treatment and has been in perfect health since. He has not even lost a tooth.

Don and Diesel,

Concerned in Dallas.

Was a urinalysis done? What were the results, specifically with regard to evidence of infection and the Specific Gravity? It would help all those on this site who can help if you had a copy of ALL test results so that you can posted them here - call your Vet and have them emailed or faxed to you. Welcome to GT, and I am sorry that it is under these circumstances. There are many here who can provide the guidance for which you are looking. I wish you and Diesel the best.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Did his thyroid panel include fT4ed (fT4 by equilibrium dialysis, not by other methods) and TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone)? If not, I'd probably hold off on the thyroid meds for the moment. If the dog has another illness, as your pup does, you really need those two measures to accurately assess thyroid function. Other methods of measuring T4 and several of the other measures sometimes used are likely to be low in other illness, yet the dog isn't hypothyroid and doesn't need supplementation.

If they have reason other than simply protein in the urine to believe he has an infection (vs. kidney dysfunction), then I'd certainly want him on the Zeniquin.

Hugs and best luck to you and your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My angel Onyx had protein in the urine and he was managed with a low protein diet (home-made) very successfully and since it was an "acute kidney issue" once it resolved we were eventually able to have him go onto a regular diet. As noted in the previous thread, it would be very helpful to have the lab tests.

As far as the proteinuria-- usually you would first rule ou an infection by running a urine culture but, if it wasn't done already it's too late to run it now because you already started antibotics. BUT, what you should run is urine protein creatinine ratio (UPC). If it returns higher than 0.2 it should be followed up on. If the UPC is elevated your dog is at risk to have a thrombo event (clot). If he's losing protein in his urine he's losing antithrombin 3 (anticlotting factor). You should also check his blood pressure.

Proteinuria can be control with diet and medications aspirin (low dose) and enalapril-- both very inexpensive.

As far as the hypothyroidism- is your vet sure your pup is not euthyroid sick? Do you remember what the numbers were?

Hemopet doesn't run the fT4ed and TSH tests that best enable distinction between true hypothyroidism and normal thyroid but sick with something else ("euthyroid sick"). You'd want to do any repeat testing at MSU (Michigan State University), Antech, or possibly another university lab.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Dl7265

Thanks for the welcome and all the comments.

They did do a urine sediment, chemistry, and specific gravity. Thyroid 4 panel was T4,ft4,cTSH and a protein creatinine ratio. Soon as I get the lab results, I will post them.

He has more bounce in his step today, and seems to be feeling better. 4th day on the zeniquin. I return to work today so we will see how he does.

11 year old dog?

7 hours in a crate?

Ay Caramba !

Good Grief !

:headwall

Diesel dog has always loved his crate. That's a short amount of time for him. I have a job to go to , there's not much choice.

We have some that just love their crates. They are in them even with the door open.

We have a 13 year old who will sleep in his crate and not pee. If he is out of his crate he is beyond himself with "have to go out to pee". We crate him so he can get some rest. If he goes in his crate, that's fine, he had to go. Then he will go back to sleep instead of pacing and possibly falling and can't get up.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

No ideas....just good wishes.....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest Dl7265

I have the lab results, bear with me to type them in, since I can't scan them in here.

UA analyzer :

S.G 1.040 color very yellow, appearance cloudy, sediment yes white.

Urine protein 490. , urine creatininie 654.00, urine pro/creat ratio .7

Thyroid panel:

FREE T4 (ng/dl)<0.3

FREE T4(pmol/L) < 3.9

test panel 4 result < 0.4

test cTSH .56

They prescribed :

Benazepril 10mg 2x a day and

levothyroxine .6mg 2x a day.

Thanks,

Don

What is the normal range in the protein? What is the normal protein/creatine ratio?

I'd start with .5 thyroid twice a day and make sure you use soloxine.

Who did the thyroid panel?

If you want to email me and fax to my work # I can post them here.

Since is he getting older, you might consider a potty break for him during the day. Especially if he does have a kidney issue. Does he do well alone in the house? Is it possible to leave the crate latched open so he can enjoy his crate but get out & tinkle if he has to go?

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Unless I'm miscalculating or your lab's norms are unusual, the thyroid panel does look as if he might benefit from supplementation.

There really shouldn't be any but a trace of protein in the urine. The question is, what is that protein? I'm assuming the vet analyzed the urine sediment for bacteria, blood cells, etc., and that is what made him think infection? But, the benazepril is a treatment for high blood pressure and is often used to ameliorate protein loss through the kidneys ..... I would probably want the urine test rerun a week or so after finishing the antibiotics and see where you stand.

It doesn't look like they did a microscopic to look for things like bacteria, red/white blood cells, crystals and so on in the urine ..

You might want to confirm whether or not they did a microscopic.

Were kidney tests like a Bun or creat run on the blood sample?

Did the vet recommend a lower protein diet (K/D for example)?

Guest Dl7265

Unless I'm miscalculating or your lab's norms are unusual, the thyroid panel does look as if he might benefit from supplementation.

There really shouldn't be any but a trace of protein in the urine. The question is, what is that protein? I'm assuming the vet analyzed the urine sediment for bacteria, blood cells, etc., and that is what made him think infection? But, the benazepril is a treatment for high blood pressure and is often used to ameliorate protein loss through the kidneys ..... I would probably want the urine test rerun a week or so after finishing the antibiotics and see where you stand.

As Iunderstand it. Since the creatinine was elevated .7 there is a concern about blood pressure? They did say we would rerun the test in a few weeks.

Guest Dl7265

It doesn't look like they did a microscopic to look for things like bacteria, red/white blood cells, crystals and so on in the urine ..

yes there were 2 more sheets of all the detailed report such as the bun ect..

Did not suggest a diet change. He is currently been on all natural Muenster (large chunk) Muenstermilling.com )last several years and has done well. He was previously on the hills oral care, but always had a loose stool on science diet. Not to mention they are grossly overpriced.

yes there were 2 more sheets of all the detailed report such as the bun ect..

Did not suggest a diet change. He is currently been on all natural Muenster (large chunk) Muenstermilling.com )last several years and has done well. He was previously on the hills oral care, but always had a loose stool on science diet. Not to mention they are grossly overpriced.

I checked your dog food and the protein is 23% so while it's not as low as kidney diets it's not that high (IMHO) which may be why your vet did not suggest a diet change. The same company makes a senior diet that has 21% protein so you might want to ask your vet whether they recommend changing to a lower protein for a short time and see if that makes a difference in the protein overflow into the urine.

What was the BUN and Creat in the detailed report? Also, did they have a microscopic on the urine, and if so did they mention seeing bacteria?

Quick update, So I took the lab report to a Vet the Greyhound rescue recommends. The Vet was so helpful and discussed it with me for about an hour, without even seeing the dog ! She is also very suspect of the hypothyroid, but said taking the supplements for now would not be harmful.

I scheduled a dental for next week, (He was a little overdue), and also she will do a microscopic to see what else is going on. I'm most concerned about the kidneys. And hoping for the best. I feel better already having a more Greyhound savy vet. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'd like to ad an avatar, but see 25 post are required ?? :blah

Guest LindsaySF

I'd do a urine culture once the antibiotics are finished. I wish we had done Chase's culture sooner (we found bacteria that was resistant to the AB's we had her on). She finished (IV) treatment successfully, but the infection caused some kidney damage because she is leaking protein into her urine. She's on low dose aspirin and her levels have stabilized so we aren't adding Enalapril yet. Good luck!

~Lindsay~

Dx hypothyroid + dog LOSING weight = doesn't add up. If you do a redo on the thyroid panel send it to Michigan State have your vet check the box for analysis/consult. A pathologist who understands breed differences will read the results for you and provide that back with the results. Also with kidney issues, it's not the protein you need to watch it's the phosphorus. (The Benazapril is for high blood pressure.)