New Poster From Wv

Guest hobbits58

Guest hobbits58

Hello,

I have been lurking on your forum for about three years now and have learned a lot from you all. I am owned by 4 greyhounds and 7 dogs, of other breeds. I live in WV and had only seen a greyhound once before, at someone’s house I visited. My first was a male pretty much right off the track. Tri State Race Track is about an hour from me, and a family member was working there. She met someone that was looking for a home for a retired racer, and they gave him to her. He didn’t fit into her home, mostly because she had small children that were allowed to crawl on him, and he didn’t like it. So, I got a call one night that she couldn’t keep him and the lady she got him from, said that if she returned him, he would be put down. I have always been a dog lover and couldn’t stand the thought of him being killed, so we went and got him that night. I must admit that I was rather intimidated by his large open mouth and that he just stood and stared at me. For the first time in my life, I had no idea of what to do with a dog. Luckily, I found this forum and was better prepared to share my life with Wizzard. His racing name is Hallo Wizzard and his father is Kiowa Sweet Trey. He likes his space and rarely runs.

Months later I was talker with a neighbor and found out there is a greyhound farm just down the road from me and they had a dog that needed a home. We went to their farm and were very pleased about the care of the dogs. They had a 7 month old fawn female that had broken her hock, so they were looking for a pet home for her. She has the softest brown eyes I have ever seen. They wanted her to recuperate from her leg for a few more weeks before I brought her home. Her name is Sunshine and she acts like a kangaroo. She can be very silly and vocal.

Wizzard doesn’t like running and Sunshine is full of life and energy, so I was on the lookout for another younger grey for her to be buddies with. I had contracted the local farm, but they didn’t have one for me. I found an ad on craigslist for a female white with brindle greyhound, and she joined our family. She came from a greyhound farm in another country. The person I got her from said that the man, she got her from, said that he had greys he didn’t want and if they didn’t find homes, they would be put down. I named her Lexie, because she is a little grey, and I like Grey’s Anatomy. Lexie likes to hug with her paws and lay on laps. A couple of weeks later the local farm had a girl ready for me. Paige is a good sized brindle that raced three times, and didn’t do well, so she was retired. She is easy going and likes to talk.

We have 80 acres and our children are grown and that means we have plenty of time and space for our greys and other dogs. The other dogs include a sheltie, cockapoo, brother and sister bichon chi mix, beagle mix, and two yorkies. We haven’t had any problems with the greys and smaller dogs, but they are not allowed together unless we are with them.

I will add photos when I can figure it out!

Hello and Welcome from Ft. Myers Florida!!!!! :wave I can't wait to see the pics. You can up load them from Photo Bucket. Thank You for rescuing the Greyhounds. :)

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest MyCody

Hi and welcome, my hubby is formally from WV, Charleston to be exact. We were back there visiting family and went to see the old family homested in Lincoln County and I spotted GREYHOUNDS over the hill!!! Of course we had to make our way there and it was a big greyhound farm. I cannot for the lfe of me remember the name of it but hubby says it was on Tom's Fork. Could that be the farm that you got your grey from?? The owner's brother was there taking care of all the greyhounds and there were so many of them I was thrilled because we hadn't brought ours with us and I needed a grey fix.

Will be watching for pictures of all your pups.

Terry

Edited by MyCody

80 acres...I can't even imagine how much land that is since we just have a tiny postage stamp yard. Luckily we have places nearby where the pups can run. Welcome and hope to see pics soon. There's a thread on the technical forum (i believe with pics), but here's the basics:

• open a photobucket account
  • upload photos
  • copy and paste

It's really easy once you know how.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest hobbits58

I will work on the photos soon. I don't have a lot because my computer recently crashed.

Terry, Sunshine and Paige came from a farm in Putnam County. Lexie came from a farm near Logan County, so it could have been her farm that you saw. I was told they have about 200 dogs.

The same farm has more dogs that need homes. I am supposed to meet my contact tomorrow and get two more females, and hopefully some more soon after. I guess I need to look into setting up a rescue or at least how to screen for good owners, as I need to rehome them, so I can help some more. Can anyone give me advice as how to find them homes? I know that one of them is not cat safe, but that is all besides gender and color. They also have a male brindle that I am told is dominate and picks fights with others. Remember this is what I have been told. I want to be careful and not be offensive to anyone so that I can get more of the dogs in the future. They have not been spayed or neutered, so I must be able to really trust people they go to, or have them fixed before they go.

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone!

Guest hobbits58

DSC_0105.jpg

Wizzard - he has taught me how to be a greyhound mom.

Acouchfullofdogs.jpg

Greys and friends!

DSC_0038.jpg

I love this photo of Lexie with a Pomeranian.

I haven't found any photos of Paige yet, so I will have to take some new ones soon.

Edited by hobbits58

:welcome2 to GT!

Your house looks like a blast, and all your pups are beautiful.

Our wonderful Toby is a Kiowa Sweet Trey boy like your Wizzard.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Hello from southwest Virginia. I'm sorry I can't give any suggestions for how to get started in finding homes for greyhounds, but I'm sure you'll find advice here on GreyTalk. All of your dogs are beautiful.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest hobbits58

Sometimes it can be too much of a blast. My husband says we live in a kennel instead of a house. One thing I will never have to worry about, is someone breaking in without me knowing about it. We have a long driveway and most of the time, one of the dogs lets me know when someone turns down it.

Guest IrskasMom

OMG Beautiful Pictures and The Dogs are awesome . Welcome to GT :wave:wave:wave:wave Lot of Passionate People here and any Question you have will be answered.

Guest hobbits58

My greys make me feel that I am the most important person in the world. While I am trying to read Greytalk, Sunshine wants me to hold her nylabone whiles she chews it, Lexie wants to be on my lap, and Wizzard and Page want ear rubs. If I could only find a way to have four hands! I had no idea that having greys would mean that I had to add more sofas to our house. For some reason the four of them can never fit on a sofa and loveseat.

You might contact local greyhound rescue group(s) to pick their brains about getting started with your rescue plans. I know there is a group associated with the track in Wheeling.

You might want to check the adoption contracts at other groups. My group's website is:

http://www.teamgreyhound.com/

We are in Ohio. I think it is wonderful that you are working with the breeders. I always worry about the greys that never make it to the track or the track rescue groups for one reason or another.