Coughing Food Up During Meals?

Guest firegypsy

Guest firegypsy

I'm thinking this may just be a "Darby" thing, but figured I ask just in case. My gal coughs her food up at least once, but usually twice during a meal. She doesn't eat all that fast (my other inhales his food) but inevitably she will spew it all over the floor, eat it back up and then commence eating from the bowl. She does it every meal. I just feel so bad for her! Is this something to worry about, or is she just a nervous little dog and this is how she eats?

I though it was maybe nerves at first and removed the other dog from the situation....but she still does it. However if he's gone, she'll walk to the other room to cough it up. :rolleyes: So it's not him, but him being outside does change the picture a bit-even if just to spread the mess around. ;)

Yes, I would definitely try adding some water to the meal. My boy Sagan does the same thing, and Merlin does too sometimes. When I wet his kibble he stops.

They both use Brake-Fast bowls. Merlin doesn't need it anymore, but he is scared of thr shiny metal ones so I keep using it. Sagan eats every meal as if he hasn't been fed in a month :rolleyes: and something tells me that's not going to change.

Edited by MerlinsMum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Add water to her kibble and let it sit a few minutes till the kibble is soft.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I also always add water to kibble. We were told by our adoption group that that is what they are used to and to always do it. I don't let it soften, unless she chooses to eat slowly and then yes, it will absorb more water.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest firegypsy

interesting. I figured that would be terrible for their teeth-that they could use all the hard stuff they can get. I'll try it though! maybe I'll even use chicken stock. lol.

Summer eats hers quick enough, even with the water, that 95% of the time I would say it's crunchy. I put the water on it immediately before serving. I've also used beef or chicken broth, if I have any hanging around as leftovers. But store-bought stock/broth tends to be high in salt so I'm careful about that. Try the liquid and let us know how it goes!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest BrianRke

Summer eats hers quick enough, even with the water, that 95% of the time I would say it's crunchy. I put the water on it immediately before serving. I've also used beef or chicken broth, if I have any hanging around as leftovers. But store-bought stock/broth tends to be high in salt so I'm careful about that. Try the liquid and let us know how it goes!

You beat me to it. I was just going to suggest that if she uses a broth, to get a low sodium broth. :)

interesting. I figured that would be terrible for their teeth-that they could use all the hard stuff they can get. I'll try it though! maybe I'll even use chicken stock. lol.

Most dogs don't chew their food anyway, so dry dog food does little to clean their teeth.

I also use water, warm, but I do it because I was told that warm water helps release the fats in the kibbles and makes it more aromatic which makes it more appealing.

Don't know if that's true or not, but 75 years of family dogs have enjoyed warm water on their kibbles, so that's what I do!

George also coughs up a kibble or two from time to time. I've never given it much thought as it's literally a kibble. It flys out, he eats it, game over!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

When we feed kibble, we always add some water. Normally don't let it soak and get soft, just add enough water to moisten everything and serve.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest firegypsy

Most dogs don't chew their food anyway, so dry dog food does little to clean their teeth.

I also use water, warm, but I do it because I was told that warm water helps release the fats in the kibbles and makes it more aromatic which makes it more appealing.

Don't know if that's true or not, but 75 years of family dogs have enjoyed warm water on their kibbles, so that's what I do!

George also coughs up a kibble or two from time to time. I've never given it much thought as it's literally a kibble. It flys out, he eats it, game over!

yes, if it were one or two I'd not worry at all...but it's gulp, gulp, spew a half a cup complete with retching and heaving....eat that, and go back to the bowl. Silly puppy!

I don't buy broth so no high sodium action here! I make it once a week and now the doggies will benefit.

I did add water today and stirred in a raw egg and there was no retching! You guys are awesome. What an easy fix!!!