Removing Staples

So as some of you may remember, 2 weeks ago Sage cut herself pretty good and required 7 staples. She has been a very good girl, not messing with the area at all, and the cut has healed beautifully. The E-vet gave me instructions to make an appointment for 2 weeks to have the staples removed, and we are currently on day 15.

I have not made an appointment yet. Here's why. My (only) co-worker is out this week due to a family emergency. So everything that goes on here is my responsibility therefore I can not leave during my work day (8-4) to get the staples removed. Can't happen. My vet closes at 5, and by the time I left work, drove home, picked up Sage, fought traffic.. I don't know if I could make it there before they close. So, I'd like to remove the staples myself if I could..

Nearly all the staples are raised up and wiggle a lot. Last night I figured I'd give it a whirl. I muzzled Sage, cleaned my tools with rubbing alcohol, cleaned her wound, and settled in for what I thought would be a relatively easy removal. No such luck. As I pull on the staple, it is stuck, and just raises the skin up with it. Of course I didn't push the issue.. I don't want to hurt her.

Anyone have any words of advice? I'd really like to do it myself if possible.

Edited by DevilDog

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

They're literally STAPLES so you can't pull them out straight--you have to open up the prongs first.

I've removed a few (accidentally left behind by the surgeon why my old dog had 27 or so on a surgical incision). You could try something like very small nail scissors and insert them under the flat part (top of her skin) and gently open the scissor which will separate the prongs.

However, if you screw it up, you may find yourself back at the vet!

I expect it could wait until Saturday if your vet would allow a tech to remove them--they probably wouldn't charge you.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Yep, you need the tool for it. Can you ask your BF to take her? The vet should remove them for free.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Can you ask your BF to take her? The vet should remove them for free.

Not likely. He does get home a little earlier than me, but he drives his work truck, and Sage would have to be lifted in. I can see her totally geeking out on him and being super stressed.

Edited by DevilDog

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe

If you had it done at the evet, call them and ask if they will remove them without charge. I was able to do that with an evet once when I explained why I couldn't get to my regular vet.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Thank you Jordan but I won't need it. :)

I took someones suggestion and called the vet. I can go in during emergency hours. Only bummer is I'll probably be there for 3 hours!!

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg