Peeing On Her Own Bed

Guest Sunset123

Guest Sunset123

Less than a month ago we moved to a new apartment, so Arrisa's still getting used to the change of scenery. In addition, it's hotter here so she's drinking significantly more water during the day than she normally does.

She's had two pee accidents here, which is something she's never done before.

The first time was in the kitchen near the outside door, which surprised me, but I can kind of understand. She must have had a full bladder, and we went out side to have dinner on the patio without taking her out first, and she panicked.

Yesterday, though, she did something that really worried me. She peed on her own bed, and was laying in it. Unfortunately, I don't really know when it happened, because it was wet, but warm since she was on top of it.

I did make a mistake in leaving the house to run an errand in the late afternoon without taking her out first, since it had only been a few hours since she was out and I didn't account for her having had a lot of water.

It strikes me as very weird, though, that she'd pee in her own bed. It could have happened when I was gone, and I just didn't notice the wet spot and she didn't care when she plopped down on it, but is it possible that she'd have peed when she was sleeping or something like that?

It wasn't just a little incontinence dribble, it was a big spot of very dilute urine, and half of one side of her body was very wet from laying in it. She's a very healthy 6 year old.

Should I consider this a fluke, and just be more careful about taking her out before I leave the house, especially when she's had a lot to drink, or should I be concerned about some kind of urinary tract or bladder issue?

I hope this doesn't sound to silly, I'm just a little weirded out about the bed thing.

Two of our greys (Darcy and Bonny) developed urinary incontience at about age 7 y/o. If Arrissa wet herself while asleep in bed, there is a good chance she has a medical issue. I'd start off with a urine sample to get her checked for a UTI. If that comes up clear, there is a good chance she could be incontient. Sadly, it's not all that uncommon for the girls. Our two are on Proin (Darcy gets 25mg and Bonny 50mg once a day). No more wet beds.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest BiancasMom

If this seems to be happening whenever you leave the room, it could be seperation anxiety. My grey used to pee on the floor every time I would leave the house. We worked through it with peanut butter Kongs and slowing increasing the time I left her from 5 mimutes on up! I also think checking a urine sample is a good idea (we did this too, but no infection was found).

Rainey too was diagnosed with urinary incontinence shortly after we got her, at about age 5. First few times were little dribbles, but she then let loose one night in our bed, same like yours. She didn't even realize it and was laying in it. I only realized when I turned over and found the seriously wet bed :(

she was put on DES (can't remember the dose) but it worked great and once regulated only got 1 pill per week. I wouldn't recommend PPA, too many hounds have died from using it. Just MHO.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I wouldn't recommend PPA, too many hounds have died from using it. Just MHO.

Do you have stats for this? I'm really curious since our two are on Proin. We haven't had any issues with it. Our vet is very grey saavy too.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Check medical conditions first, but it could be stress from moving and settling in again. You might want to consider thinking that you have a brand new dog in a new home for the first time (rather than one you've had for a while), and treat her like a fresh-from-the-track dog. Do potty training, alone training - sort of start over until she gets more settled.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My Lucy had been doing the same thing and it turned out to be mostly caused by a UTI which was treated with antibiotics and since then I have her on daily cranberry pills. She has had one or two accidents since then and I make sure that she goes out at least every 4 hours to empty herself. She's also a marker - so sometimes even though she has just gone, she didn't empty completely which sometimes gives me a "false sense of security in that she just went so she doesn't have to go again.

Guest Sunset123

Have you had a urine sample checked?

I haven't yet, but I think I should.

Any tips for the best way to collect it? She squats so low, I"m not entirely sure what kind of vessel I'd use...

Guest giantsfan

Winnie did this too, when we first adopted her a few years ago. Had her checked, it was a UTI and was easily treated. She did it again ~6months ago, she was actually sleeping when it happened, and I had her urine checked again and it was fine. Hasn't happened since, weird.

Guest sheila

Any tips for the best way to collect it? She squats so low, I"m not entirely sure what kind of vessel I'd use...

you could try using a foil pie tin and slide it under here when she squats. You don't need to catch the whole pee, just enough for the vet to dip the test strip into.

If you are going to catch urine try and get the first morning specimen because you will get more accurate results for the specific gravity part of the test. If they check for a UTI, they will not just be doing a "test strip" - they will have to do a culture and sensitivity. Before you collect the urine, you might want to try and "clean her" so the sample will not be contaminated. I suggest that you go to the vet beforehand and get a sterile container to use for the collection. My girl squats pretty low but I was able to get it under her OK - what caused a problem is that she just didn't like me following her around the yard.

Note, it's best to get the "middle part" of the urine stream.

Guest Sunset123

If you are going to catch urine try and get the first morning specimen because you will get more accurate results for the specific gravity part of the test. If they check for a UTI, they will not just be doing a "test strip" - they will have to do a culture and sensitivity. Before you collect the urine, you might want to try and "clean her" so the sample will not be contaminated. I suggest that you go to the vet beforehand and get a sterile container to use for the collection. My girl squats pretty low but I was able to get it under her OK - what caused a problem is that she just didn't like me following her around the yard.

Thanks, that really helps. I'm having trouble getting her an appointment right now because we don't have an established vet, but I'll see if I can arrange to go get a container beforehand.

Guest LindsaySF

I would check for a UTI. If it happened while she was asleep, it could be incontinence. Rule out a UTI first though. I also agree with Greysmom's advice about settling into the new house. :)

Winnie, when I asked Sophie's neurologist about Proin vs DES, he said he thinks DES is "safer". Proin is a vasoconstrictor, it works on the urethral sphincter, but also on blood vessels (which can lead to high BP, strokes, etc). His words were that Proin can sometimes cause issues in a "very vascular breed like a Greyhound". :dunno Hope that helps.

Or you could just have the vet get a sterile sample via needle which I think was a LOT less invasive on my super shy girl than chasing her around the yard for 4 hours with a pie pan. She seemed none the worse for the wear. Might be a bit more accurate too.

Winnie, when I asked Sophie's neurologist about Proin vs DES, he said he thinks DES is "safer".

My vet said the same thing.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Check medical conditions first, but it could be stress from moving and settling in again. You might want to consider thinking that you have a brand new dog in a new home for the first time (rather than one you've had for a while), and treat her like a fresh-from-the-track dog. Do potty training, alone training - sort of start over until she gets more settled.

I agree with Greysmom.

I assume these accidents started suddenly in the new apartment. When dogs are feeling anxious, often they physically can't hold their urine as well as when they are relaxed in their long known comfortable environment. A move away from their old home is a major change even though their family is the same. You didn't mention how often she goes outside to potty, but I'd suggest being careful to increase her daytime potty outings to every 2 to 3 hours, and much sooner after meals and water - within approx. 15 minutes. Always make sure she goes potty right before you leave her alone, even if she just went 1 hour earlier. Dogs are much like very young children and it will take some time for her to realize that she's not going to be left alone forever by her parents in a strange new place. I second the Kong plan for your departures too. Good luck. :)

Guest Swifthounds

You want a first morning sample, and mid stream. It can help if you can wipe her before going outside with a wet wipe or wash cloth. Go out with her. On leash is easier if she will potty that way. WIt until she squats and starts to go and just slide a collection container under her.

For collection I like a new disposable aluminum pie pan or something smaller. You can also use a very clean low disposable glad ware container. You don't need to collect a lot.

Guest Swifthounds

Or you could just have the vet get a sterile sample via needle which I think was a LOT less invasive on my super shy girl than chasing her around the yard for 4 hours with a pie pan. She seemed none the worse for the wear. Might be a bit more accurate too.

Not less invasive, but possibly less fuss for the owner. Cystocentesis can be a good option if the owner just can't collect a sample or can't bring the dog in for the vet to get a clean catch, but they can involve discomfort and pain, especially for a slim dog like a greyhound since the dog will be on its back on a hard surface for the cysto and will be restrained in that position. it can be especially painful for elderly hounds, those with arthritis, or those with LS.

Guest Sunset123

Thanks, everyone. My thoughts are that it's one of three issues:

1) UTI

2) Incontinence

3) Just behavioral, especially in combination with extra water intake due to both heat and nervousness.

We have been working very hard on easing the transition into the new place. I've been home most of the time, I started at the beginning with alone-training, and she gets her traditional Kong every time (I never stopped doing that after the first alone-training).

She never had a urine accident in my house, but this morning I did recall that her foster family said that she did go by the door a couple of times when they didn't get her out quick enough. That easily explains the first incident, but the bed one is still the one that baffles me.

I did check her bed again the next day after I left the house for a while, and felt some dampness on the underside (she presumably flipped it). It wasn't a big dark spot, and it hadn't gone through to the white inner-lining, so I still don't know if that was urine or just her normal drool or licking.

We're going to the vet in about an hour, and I have a sample cup that I picked up from them, but I'm having a hell of a time collecting, especially since she's already had her "big pee" of the morning. She's a marker, so she does exhibit some pretty good bladder control: I can't get under her quick enough, since she's off like a faucet the second I get the container near her. I gave her a LOT of water a little while ago, so I'll try it again in a bit. If it doesn't, we'll go with the needle.

Guest longdoglady

If you are still having problems collecting a sample attaching the container to a stick or cane so you can just scoop it under without bending over her usually works.

Hope you find the answer to Arrisa's problem soon.

Guest Sunset123

If you are still having problems collecting a sample attaching the container to a stick or cane so you can just scoop it under without bending over her usually works.

Hope you find the answer to Arrisa's problem soon.

I got it, thanks. :) I finally convinced her to take a longer pee instead of just marking.

The vet thought the sample was pretty dilute (it was-- it was the morning's second walk after 2 big bowls of water), and they didn't find anything in-house, so he sent it out to a lab. I'll hear back about it tomorrow.

Guest longdoglady

Has your vet tested her sugar? Drinking loads can be a symptom of diabetes but they are usually mega hungry too. Some dogs drink a lot when they are stressed so maybe Arrisa is still adjusting to her new home. How we wish they could talk at times like this.